First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
  • Banned
Is there a way to use any amazon-bought BT/Wifi ODB2 scanner with an app like Tunerview to display active gauges on the Honda infotainment system? I see it as a package configuration for KTuner, but I am not in need of doing a retune (or paying $500 for its package). Just wondering if there's any other metrics accessible that the dashboard cluster don't already have stock.
Sponsored

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Perhaps it is beyond what a CarPlay app is capable of doing or allowed to do presently - but I have always thought it would be great if a 3rd-party developer created an app that would integrate with an ODB2 scanner and provide something like this. Maybe someday.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Is there a way to use any amazon-bought BT/Wifi ODB2 scanner with an app like Tunerview to display active gauges on the Honda infotainment system? I see it as a package configuration for KTuner, but I am not in need of doing a retune (or paying $500 for its package). Just wondering if there's any other metrics accessible that the dashboard cluster don't already have stock.
I wonder if you could get an APK to work with the head unit itself. If you could, then you can install the Android variant of the app to get this functionality.

OP
OP
keiothic

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
  • Banned
I wonder if you could get an APK to work with the head unit itself. If you could, then you can install the Android variant of the app to get this functionality.
Well looking at the ktuner site, they already sell a package that doesn't come with a touch screen display. I believe their ODB device has been made to support tunerview via some protocol. Now that I think about it, perhaps a $30 amazon-bought ODB2 scanner wouldn't necessarily work unless containing manufacturer-specific protocol support.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
For a tuner app to work on an UNHACKED Honda head Unit, with Carplay or Android Auto, it would need to be "allowed" by Androis Auto or Carplay.
For Android Auto, that would require Google to add that app to the list, like they have done, for the Music player Poweramp. (I have no experiences with Iphones and Carplay)

The other two options are

(1) Honda Hack the HU, and then you can install almost anything on it, like TunerView.
Using Honda hack has some potentail dangers you should make sure you are aware of BEFORE using it.

(2) Add a temporarily Mountable Tablet,( Android or Apple) and you can run almost ANYTHING on that, and have it in addition to what is already on the somewhat Limited Honda Display.
You have DUAL displays !!!

I would strongly favor #2 because

(1) It does not hack the head unit, so no warranty issues.
(2) Head unit is already slow, you do not want to mess with it and make it even slower, even if you are not concerned about warranty.
(3) The Tablet can easily be updates in future years, as better faster, devices become available, OLED screens that are good in bright sunlight , faster, more memory etc etc.
You can take the Tablet out and use it elsewhere as well.
It does not Modify your car in any way that could be argued voided any warranty.

================

"You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" - (The Honda Unit is the sow's ear)
If you want a fancy purse, go out an get a "Bottega Veneta" (Tablet)

(well maybe not that expensive a Tablet !!)
https://www.luxos.com/news/fashion/5260-the-twelve-most-expensive-handbags-in-the-world

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For a tuner app to work on an UNHACKED Honda head Unit, with Carplay or Android Auto, it would need to be "allowed" by Androis Auto or Carplay.
For Android Auto, that would require Google to add that app to the list, like they have done, for the Music player Poweramp. (I have no experiences with Iphones and Carplay)

The other two options are

(1) Honda Hack the HU, and then you can install almost anything on it, like TunerView.
Using Honda hack has some potentail dangers you should make sure you are aware of BEFORE using it.

(2) Add a temporarily Mountable Tablet,( Android or Apple) and you can run almost ANYTHING on that, and have it in addition to what is already on the somewhat Limited Honda Display.
You have DUAL displays !!!

I would strongly favor #2 because

(1) It does not hack the head unit, so no warranty issues.
(2) Head unit is already slow, you do not want to mess with it and make it even slower, even if you are not concerned about warranty.
(3) The Tablet can easily be updates in future years, as better faster, devices become available, OLED screens that are good in bright sunlight , faster, more memory etc etc.
You can take the Tablet out and use it elsewhere as well.
It does not Modify your car in any way that could be argued voided any warranty.

================

"You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" - (The Honda Unit is the sow's ear)
If you want a fancy purse, go out an get a "Bottega Veneta" (Tablet)

(well maybe not that expensive a Tablet !!)
https://www.luxos.com/news/fashion/5260-the-twelve-most-expensive-handbags-in-the-world
Buy a cheap Kindle Fire. Install the Playstore APK. Download whatever you want. $50 vs bricking your HU.

ostudent

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
OP
OP
keiothic

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
  • Banned
I could be wrong, but I don't think the issue is getting the infotainment hacked to support play store APKs, and side loading APKs seem easy enough (and Honda Hack is cheap enough). The issue is finding an interface to the car's telemetry, like Ktuner's ODB module. One that doesn't cost an arm and a leg for simply wanting telemetry data sans retuning capabilities.

ostudent

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I could be wrong, but I don't think the issue is getting the infotainment hacked to support play store APKs, and side loading APKs seem easy enough (and Honda Hack is cheap enough). The issue is finding an interface to the car's telemetry, like Ktuner's ODB module. One that doesn't cost an arm and a leg for simply wanting telemetry data sans retuning capabilities.
Maybe do the hack to head unit and install Torque Pro in the the HU, have the HU connect to a bluetooth OBD2?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Maybe do the hack to head unit and install Torque Pro in the the HU, have the HU connect to a bluetooth OBD2?
A few months ago there was someone posting about developing an Android APP that would read data from the Honda Civics C-Bus and display it. He had an example running, and was getting the data successfully.

ostudent

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
A few months ago there was someone posting about developing an Android APP that would read data from the Honda Civics C-Bus and display it. He had an example running, and was getting the data successfully.
You got more info for us?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Last edited:

ostudent

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
It's here on this Form somewhere... probably in the Audio section.
He posted Pictures as well. Probably about 8 -10 weeks ago

https://www.civicx.com/threads/raspberrypi-in-the-dash.31911/
But does the Android Auto with the Torque Pro Integrated work better this way? Does this tricks still work? Im just looking the most simple way to read the temp while on trackday. Got any suggestion? I would love to have sth like the video:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
But does the Android Auto with the Torque Pro Integrated work better this way? Does this tricks still work? Im just looking the most simple way to read the temp while on trackday. Got any suggestion? I would love to have sth like the video:
I think the guy mean hack (jailbreak) the head unit and install the app directly, I made a similar suggestion earlier on.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Looks good .. Wonder if it would work with Wifi OBD2 device.
From what I have read, they have far less LAG.. The Bluetooth on in the Video seemed very lagged :(]\
Sponsored