Current '17 Si owner, Should I move up to a Type R?

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
The OP mentioned these creature comforts but I was late to notice this thread so I decided to forgoe posting this, but since they've come back up... if these things are important to you, i don't think you'll be happy with the CTR. The CTR is less civilized than the Si (add squeaky Brembo brakes, 20" rims that are pothole magnets, less rear visibility, quick-wearing tires, 2 person back seat, drivetrain whines, etc.). If these are what you think about when weighing the pros and cons, my guess is you won't be satisfied with a CTR. I don't mean to offend anyone, I just wanted to point out that the CTR and Si are different beasts intended for different drivers.

My buddy Brian (not yet on the forum grrr.) has a 17 SI Sedan(leased) and a 17 CTR(owned). I know some would think that's crazy, but this is his fourth leased SI... so to say he's a fan of the performance/enthusiast civic would be an understatement. He has put about 1100 miles on the CTR and about 11k miles on his SI. He's already caught a pothole and damaged a rim on his CTR. The low profile tires on it are not daily driver friendly to the average NJ road.
Sponsored

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
My buddy Brian (not yet on the forum grrr.) has a 17 SI Sedan(leased) and a 17 CTR(owned). I know some would think that's crazy, but this is his fourth leased SI... so to say he's a fan of the performance/enthusiast civic would be an understatement. He has put about 1100 miles on the CTR and about 11k miles on his SI. He's already caught a pothole and damaged a rim on his CTR. The low profile tires on it are not daily driver friendly to the average NJ road.
Leasing an Si is a great option depending on where you are and what kind of deal you get. The value of the Si is holding strong.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lots of good input in here. I personally went with the Si over the CTR because the CTR did not pass the wife test. She said it was "too much" looks wise. I tend to agree wither her honestly, the Si sedan is a good bit more refined even if still slightly over styled. Performance wise I figure for my driving habits the Si is more than enough... and mods bridge that gap even more.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
I chose the Si coupe over the R. I personally think the Si coupe looks better. Not too fond of hatchback. Performance wise, I'm just thrilled with the Si. If the next type R comes in coupe, I'll consider trading in the Si

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
I got a 2017 si coupe because my element was dying a slow death and I'm not keen on paying more than MSRP out of principle. I did want more power so I bought a ktuner. While it's definitely faster and more fun...it's not a type r. I really like the si but there is a piece of me that wont be satisfied until a type r is in my garage. I can afford the type r (but won't pay more than MSRP) and my wife tells me she wants me to have a faster car (she has a stage something tuned 17 wrx) but the frugal part of me says I shouldn't get one because I hardly ever drive (I work from home) currently.

So half of me says I need a type r (even if it is garage art) and the other half says I should just sell the si because it never gets driven. So based in this I will do nothing.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got a 2017 si coupe because my element was dying a slow death and I'm not keen on paying more than MSRP out of principle. I did want more power so I bought a ktuner. While it's definitely faster and more fun...it's not a type r. I really like the si but there is a piece of me that wont be satisfied until a type r is in my garage. I can afford the type r (but won't pay more than MSRP) and my wife tells me she wants me to have a faster car (she has a stage something tuned 17 wrx) but the frugal part of me says I shouldn't get one because I hardly ever drive (I work from home) currently.

So half of me says I need a type r (even if it is garage art) and the other half says I should just sell the si because it never gets driven. So based in this I will do nothing.

Why not buy and downpipe, PRL Cobra CAI and get a custom tune? You'll be faster than a R.

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Why not buy and downpipe, PRL Cobra CAI and get a custom tune? You'll be faster than a R.
I will probably do exactly that and reassess. The neat thing is my 18 year old son is in love with my si so worse case he will buy it off me in a year or two and I'll get my type r or I fall in love with my si all over again. I'm am smitten by the black coated rv6 pipes which may happen sooner than later.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm running a AFE catted DP, PRL Cobra CAI, KTuner with Vit stage 1 Si tune.

I raced my buddy's R and we were neck and neck.

If I get a custom tune I should pick up 20-30 wtq and 15-25 whp so I'll pull on him.

Fathomless

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI / 2018 Honda Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why do you think you will take a big hit on trading in? At least in my area Honda dealers are struggling to find pre-owned inventory. I upgraded from a 2016 EXT sedan to the SI and they literally paid me 2k over blue book on it.

As far as Type R vs SI. Think it is just preference. As stated you can make an SI as fast as a R pretty easy. For me it was two things. I honestly just cant pay 35k for a sub compact car like a civic. Just seems bonkers. 35K can get some really fun used cars (or a big chunk of a new one) that are way more luxurious and fast. An SI is fighting above its weight class on what you get for your money. The type R seems to be below its weight class for bang for buck.

Second, for my lifestyle driving a Type R would just peg me as a man child and make me feel foolish a bit, the SI is understated enough to not feel ridiculous going to lunch with a business contact. (although all the red stitching inside makes it a little teenagerish for my taste.) Personal opinion of course, not knocking people with R's. The enthusiast within is definitely jealous. The wing just screams wannabe fast and furious to me and is a big turn off.

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Why do you think you will take a big hit on trading in? At least in my area Honda dealers are struggling to find pre-owned inventory. I upgraded from a 2016 EXT sedan to the SI and they literally paid me 2k over blue book on it.

As far as Type R vs SI. Think it is just preference. As stated you can make an SI as fast as a R pretty easy. For me it was two things. I honestly just cant pay 35k for a sub compact car like a civic. Just seems bonkers. 35K can get some really fun used cars (or a big chunk of a new one) that are way more luxurious and fast. An SI is fighting above its weight class on what you get for your money. The type R seems to be below its weight class for bang for buck.

Second, for my lifestyle driving a Type R would just peg me as a man child and make me feel foolish a bit, the SI is understated enough to not feel ridiculous going to lunch with a business contact. (although all the red stitching inside makes it a little teenagerish for my taste.) Personal opinion of course, not knocking people with R's. The enthusiast within is definitely jealous. The wing just screams wannabe fast and furious to me and is a big turn off.
Totally get you with the office colleagues. Several years ago when I worked in an office, I'd occasionally have to be the guy to drive so 4 middle aged dudes would pile into my 2007 Honda fit. Nobody wanted me to drive but we couldn't upset the rotation. Now that I work from home, I'm totally ok with being a man baby! I've been driving basic economy cars for so long raising my kids. Now my kids are teenagers and I'm ready to be a kid again.

I did actually go try to pickup a charcoal (or whatever) 18 type r and was offered 18-19k for the si and they wanted 10k over msrp for "accessories" so I declined. I called a few other dealers all wanting adm so I got lazy and haven't really looked since.

I sort of go back and forth. One week I'll be so anxious to get a type r but then I'll drive the si and then want to keep it. I think I just need to drive si more often because it really is a fantastic platform and a super value.

In the end it's always cheaper to keep 'er.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Totally get you with the office colleagues. Several years ago when I worked in an office, I'd occasionally have to be the guy to drive so 4 middle aged dudes would pile into my 2007 Honda fit. Nobody wanted me to drive but we couldn't upset the rotation. Now that I work from home, I'm totally ok with being a man baby! I've been driving basic economy cars for so long raising my kids. Now my kids are teenagers and I'm ready to be a kid again.

I did actually go try to pickup a charcoal (or whatever) 18 type r and was offered 18-19k for the si and they wanted 10k over msrp for "accessories" so I declined. I called a few other dealers all wanting adm so I got lazy and haven't really looked since.

I sort of go back and forth. One week I'll be so anxious to get a type r but then I'll drive the si and then want to keep it. I think I just need to drive si more often because it really is a fantastic platform and a super value.

In the end it's always cheaper to keep 'er.

Have you tuned your Si? It really closes the gap a lot.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Seconding the huge difference that tuning the SI makes. I’m running my SI coupe with KTuner and Vit’s Stage 1 tune. No bolt ons yet.

With just the tune, I was able to keep up with a bunch of crazy mustangs flying down 287 in Jersey and pulled on my buddy’s modded 370Z. I feel like with the WRX getting more and more expensive (especially for a fully loaded one), the SI is the new performance value platform.

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Imo, the type r is not a daily driver. The cost of the tires alone on a yearly basis takes it out of contention for me. And even as big as a Honda fanboy I am, I can’t see paying over msrp for that car. I don’t care how it performs or what it represents, it’s still a civic in the end...imo, Honda should have shaved off all the flare and kept the price point at 30k or so and produced enough of them so they would sell at that and not the ridiculous prices they have been.

In any event, my thought after having this car in the mountains, and on/off ramps and just nearby curvy roads, I can’t imagine needing anything that handles better. It still amazes me...I’ve scared many of passengers on curvy roads and Myself at times. If I had anything that handled better I’d truly be dangerous as at any higher speeds, a crash would most certainly invoke severe injury or death.
Sponsored