Current '17 Si owner, Should I move up to a Type R?

Jermz11

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I own a canadian spec Si, coupe in Metallic grey. I just want more out of the car, and I'm wondering if losing out on a lot of my daily driver features, like the heated seats and sunroof, is worth the extra 13K for the Type R plus what I'll lose on a trade. Is the performance of the R that much better than the Si?

If anyone has some input I'd love to discuss this.
Sponsored

ricky_vato

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI, 2012 Crosstour
Yeah, me too. I really like my Si Coupe (the handling, fun factor from 2nd, 3rd, to 4th gears, the looks people give everywhere I go, etc.). I just cannot get over paying $10k to $15k over msrp for a Type R. I never have on any car, and I have owned a lot. Currently, I own a Z06, STS-V, plus the Si. I push them all hard once and awhile on the open road or on a track. The Si is no joke, but I want a little more on the track. Also, quality issue complaints are more with the R than with the Si. Another factor. So, I am with you Jermz11, is it worth it to move up?

Xtelotatichl

First Name
Cha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si
Country flag
Type R is absolutely better in every way than the Si and will undoubtedly hold its value for much longer. Get it if you can afford it, it is very much worth it. If the $$$ is a problem then stick with the Si and save ip for the next gen type R which will probably be a hubrid like the NSX. I’m in this category myself. I own an Si coupe, love it, know the type R’s are much better, cannot afford one, so I’m content with what I have and saving for the next type R even if I have to pay over MSRP which we all probably will

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si, BMW 540i, Chevy Spark EV, Civic LX
Last edited:

ricky_vato

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI, 2012 Crosstour
Thanks callmehandsum. I must apologize for not searching for the info first. Thanks to you, my questions, concerns were answered already. I am going to keep my Si for a couple years and maybe trade in or just buy an R when ready.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have you tuned your Si? If not I would suggest doing a downpipe and tune then circle back around to the idea of swapping cars. If you check out Vit's tunes they put the Si around or more than the Type R stock power. You could spend a few grand on your Si and it would be quick, handle well and still be a lot cheaper than swapping cars.

woodysrounup

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si 4dr
Country flag
I own a canadian spec Si, coupe in Metallic grey. I just want more out of the car, and I'm wondering if losing out on a lot of my daily driver features, like the heated seats and sunroof, is worth the extra 13K for the Type R plus what I'll lose on a trade. Is the performance of the R that much better than the Si?

If anyone has some input I'd love to discuss this.
I know you already mentioned that your questions have been answered but I figured I would offer some of my own insight as well. I was in your shoes this past July when I purchased my Si. I could have paid MSRP here in Kansas for the Type R but at the end of the day it came down to how much I would realistically use the features found in the Type R. I am not the kind of guy to take my cars to the track, I just thought the Type R looked badass. People on here who worry about the FWD vs. AWD should really read into the specifications of the vehicle as well as youtube videos matching the R up to its AWD competitors. If you are a practical daily driver for 75% of your time I would stick with the Si, as the gas milage and things such as heated seats are things you will enjoy. A car always goes beyond HP but if its a bit more zip you're looking for I have seen some flashes that are pushing the Si to between 230-245 HP depending on what you are comfortable with. Truly, you can get to around 240-260 hp with around $1500-$2000 of work that doesn't involve any real invasive work. If I were you, and you have a decent mechanic you can trust, save the $15-20k and invest 5 grand or so in the performance of your car. I think you will get more satisfaction out of it.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My opinion: if you're looking to track the car... have the prestige of having a type R... or just want more power/handling ability and don't want to fool with tuning, get an R.

If you think your Si is too slow from an acceleration standpoint and you want to save ~10k, clutch, tuner, flexfuel, intake, downpipe. Your Si should be roughly as fast from an acceleration stand point as an R. Even just an intake and tuner with a basemap (all I have) wakes the car nicely from its lazy slumber.

I'm not sure how the Canadian numbers work out, but I imagine jumping ship from a '17 Si to an '18 R would easily cost $15k+ US dollars, once you count in the trade vs sale price, repaying the sales tax difference, repay destination and whatever else they want to tack on.

No matter what you do to an Si, or the amount of money you throw at it... even if you made it faster than an R (and you can... it's been done already) it'd never be a type R. You're paying for a from-the-factory track ready car that is a *real* type R. If that's what you have to have... only a real type R will do.

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Payoff the Si, use it as a daily driver and then pick up a CTR down the road.
This is my favorite idea, if practical of course, and what I intend to do.

it all depends what you want the car for or what you are looking for in a car.
That's the $15,000 dollar question isn't it. More money will buy more car but he needs to figure out his sweet spot.

OP
OP
Jermz11

Jermz11

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I appreciate everyone's thoughts and imput, I call it a daily driver, but I do not need to drive everyday as I work away, exactly how Im stuck is how I either want to vuold the Si or start with the Type R, I think paying off the Si and using it for winter driving is the best option and achievable in the next year or so. I just think I am afraid of the Cars feeling too similar to use one as just a winter car.

OP
OP
Jermz11

Jermz11

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Have you tuned your Si? If not I would suggest doing a downpipe and tune then circle back around to the idea of swapping cars. If you check out Vit's tunes they put the Si around or more than the Type R stock power. You could spend a few grand on your Si and it would be quick, handle well and still be a lot cheaper than swapping cars.
Was thinking about the Hondata tune, just don't really want to toss out my factory warranty and clutch with less than a year on the car.

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondata tune will also void warranty repairs if dealer determines it was the cause of the failure.

Was thinking about the Hondata tune, just don't really want to toss out my factory warranty and clutch with less than a year on the car.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
...well, whether you're in a Si or R, it's still going to be a Civic behind the wheel. For $15k, if i was looking for a more 'pure' experience, id just get another used sports car (S2000 maybe) then have a 2nd car. Just me. That's why I still have my clunky 400hp 300zx.

You'll have to decide if $15k+ to get another 5y/60k mile warranty for a 300 hp Civic is worth it (not there isn't a lot more to an R than power alone)... or making your existing Si have nearly 300 hp for a fraction of that. If it breaks... and it probably won't... but if it does, be liable to pay for it out of pocket is worth it... if you're just looking for type R power without type R handling capability. It really is a track car that has great road manners. You can make an Si go as fast, but you'd be hard pressed to make it handle as good. Close maybe...

Just guessing numbers... tuner $600, flexfuel $500, custom tune $300, clutch $1200 installed, intake $300, down pipe $400. $3300... you'd be well north of 250 whp. Ktuner and Hondata claim around ~250 hp for their tuners with flexfuel alone on their reflashes. All of that is probably a bit short of 300 hp.

Wait for that drop in T025 that fell through for Vit but others are still apparently working towards to crack 300 hp. All of that should come in at ~$5k. Still get 40 mpgs on the highway and lower insurance costs if those things are worth it to you.

Or don't fool around with it and get the R. Drop 15K for a car who's red badges mean something.
Sponsored

Last edited: