Curious on opinions of Type R prices (new and used)

rgomez19

First Name
Raphael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic type R
Country flag
I waited 9 months to get my Type R. I saw dealers with my own eyes asking 51K. I refuse to pay over sticker price. I waited but I got my car with the color I wanted at my price.

Honda Civic 10th gen Curious on opinions of Type R prices (new and used) 89BB11BC-AD5D-4DED-95C5-E17D4ACB05C5
Sponsored

djhartm

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
I have been "lurking" around this forum since the Type R was announced and am considering buying one -- my question to everyone is, why are the prices still so high still, especially for used? In fact, there are many used for higher than the price of new ... I understood two years ago, but now that over 30K are on the road, it isn't exactly a limited production model.
Supply & demand.

Good luck finding one under $30k.

I bought mine in May and it took a long time to find one, and then find one without a dealer markup.

27k produced worldwide in 3 years isn't exactly Accord numbers...

omalleyman

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have been "lurking" around this forum since the Type R was announced and am considering buying one -- my question to everyone is, why are the prices still so high still, especially for used? In fact, there are many used for higher than the price of new ... I understood two years ago, but now that over 30K are on the road, it isn't exactly a limited production model.
Just recently purchased a 2019 for slightly under sticker.

I almost bought one in 2017. A dealer in the area said they were charging sticker but when I went to see it they added $4k in "options" that could not be removed from the price so I walked away.

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
The post earlier in the thread alluded to the true issue facing the used market. Most of these early buyers of 17's and 18's paid adm plus taxes. They then decided to sell and didn't want to lose their lunch on their purchase.

Thankfully I found mine for an absolute song with barely any miles. The moment it popped I immediately paid for it, knowing the price was almost too good to be true.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
30,000 worldwide over three model years is not a lot at all. Subtract from that thousands that all salvaged, factor in more desired colors than others, and those that are virgin (stock) and not, condition, and such... and That’s why you see it at that price point. Also, look at your own desirability for it - that desirability is the reason why its price is high.

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
Truecar for my zip code says the average new sale is still over $1k MSRP. The expanded sale list says some folks are still paying above $42k for the car, yikes

Honda Civic 10th gen Curious on opinions of Type R prices (new and used) upload_2019-10-14_15-29-46

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
I agree the car is indeed limited, but just to be clear, the car hasn't been out for 3 years, more like two years. June 2017 - October 2019 is a little over two years.

OneSickFK8

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM FK8
Country flag
Here's a simple run down of buying a CTR. If you bought a CTR in 2017-2019(April-ish) most likely you paid too much. Even if it wasn't labeled ADM they put it somewhere. Fees, forced accessories purchase, etc. If you waited until around September or so. You at least have a chance to get a good deal. Which is still up to personal choice. I think MSRP + Destination is too much. I was lucky enough to get below MSRP OTD. However it was a process and involved a trade in with a sizeable amount of equity. Never call a dealer and talk prices. ALWAYS walk in and never buy on the first visit. There are rare situations that you can get a deal on the first trip but I don't try. Also play other dealers against each other. I had an appointment to look at a different CTR the following week after I had already walked from the dealer I purchased at. They called me the day before I was going to go to the other dealer. They said come here first and we'll get it done. Sure enough it worked.

OP
OP
lksfstcars

lksfstcars

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, Acura RDX
Country flag
30,000 worldwide over three model years is not a lot at all. Subtract from that thousands that all salvaged, factor in more desired colors than others, and those that are virgin (stock) and not, condition, and such... and That’s why you see it at that price point. Also, look at your own desirability for it - that desirability is the reason why its price is high.
1. While I agree 30K production is not a lot for a single car model -- the fact that the CTR is a niche vehicle should in theory keep prices a little more reasonable, i.e. a two year old CTR should be below the MSRP of a new one.

2. I personally think you all (myself very much included) are the problem and the perceived demand has given dealers unfair leverage -- the notion of supply and demand doesn't really jive when there are currently 334 new Type R's on Cars.com.

Again, my point was certainly not to complain, more of thought experiment. In the end, I will most likely pay more than I should and join all of those who are part of the problem!

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Here's a simple run down of buying a CTR. If you bought a CTR in 2017-2019(April-ish) most likely you paid too much. Even if it wasn't labeled ADM they put it somewhere. Fees, forced accessories purchase, etc. If you waited until around September or so. You at least have a chance to get a good deal. Which is still up to personal choice. I think MSRP + Destination is too much. I was lucky enough to get below MSRP OTD. However it was a process and involved a trade in with a sizeable amount of equity. Never call a dealer and talk prices. ALWAYS walk in and never buy on the first visit. There are rare situations that you can get a deal on the first trip but I don't try. Also play other dealers against each other. I had an appointment to look at a different CTR the following week after I had already walked from the dealer I purchased at. They called me the day before I was going to go to the other dealer. They said come here first and we'll get it done. Sure enough it worked.
I agree on everyone paying adm.

Except honda employees and possibly dealership employees.

My car came from a Honda design engineer, and I promise he did not pay adm, or even msrp for that matter.

OneSickFK8

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM FK8
Country flag
I agree on everyone paying adm.

Except honda employees and possibly dealership employees.

My car came from a Honda design engineer, and I promise he did not pay adm, or even msrp for that matter.
Only problem is you bought used from what I'm gathering. I would never buy a turbo car used especially something like a CTR. I know this is just my preference.

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Only problem is you bought used from what I'm gathering. I would never buy a turbo car used especially something like a CTR. I know this is just my preference.
Used is a loose term. Buying a car that is three months "old" and has 12 miles total, is basically new to me.

Thankfully I have an extended factory warranty and paid far less than new.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I was forced to purchase 1 accessory on my car, wheel locks (80 bucks); otherwise, I was charged MSRP (I did voluntarily do an extended warranty, but it wasn't forced nor required). Also keep in mind that the current CTR is about 2k more than it was when released in 2017.

Topsportsman916

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rallye Red Sport Touring & 2019 Rallye Red CTR
Country flag
OneSickFK8, are you saying that your trade in is what got you under MSRP? I bought my 2019 Type R on 7/20/19. I got the car for $700 under MSRP & with Taxes,Title, Tags it was $37,800 OTD . I didn't do a trade in.
Sponsored