Curious on opinions of Type R prices (new and used)

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
https://m.facebook.com/groups/646911282367784?view=permalink&id=969346500124259

Around 12,500 in the United States by the end of 2019. Not too limited but not abundant either.
On average, this would be 250 per state. Granted some states will get more than others. Or to better put it, that would be one CTR for every 304 square miles. But that really isn't what's driving the price up, that's done by supply and demand. There may be 12,500 in the US, but how many of those are actually for sale? How many of those are new, used? And how many people want one. Those will determine how much the car would go for.
Sponsored

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Acura TL
Country flag
when are they gonna announce the 2020 type Rs anyway? do they usually do it at the end of the year?

madsedan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Gti SE
Country flag
I am shopping for a used Type R myself and am shocked at how many of them are for sale on autotrader.
I have to get a 4 door for work, narrowed my search down to 2017+ Audi S3, 2018+ Golf R DSG, or type R. On any given day when I check in my market, which is large, there is easily 2-3 times as many type R's available than the other two cars. This morning there were 2 used 2018 golf R's available, 7 used 2017+ S3's available, and like 14 or 15 type R's with half of them being black R's.
I don't really want a black on but from what I'm seeing there are way more black used type R's available than the other colors, second most being white or gray, with blue and red making up the smallest qty.

Average price of these cars being within $2-4k of what the car MSRP was new in 2017 or 2018. I think this is driven partially by the fact that so many early adopters paid and financed so much over MSRP that there was no way to get them out of a trade situation without overwhelming negative equity, which would kill a potential deal or make it difficult to get financing. I have not seen evidence in my part of the country (Texas) that the oercieved rarity of the car is effecting lot pricing on them.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
You think the mark up is bad now lol. Wait till the Phoenix Yellow 2020 Type R comes out next year. The mark up on that color is going to be insane.
Juat asking, has anyone any proof yellow is coming? I havnt seen anything about it or that is gonna be an option. The only thing I have ever seen about yellow was that one test car picture from nuremburgring. Has anyone seen any proof or interviews or anything that yellow is coming other then that one pic where all this hearsay is coming from ?

jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
Juat asking, has anyone any proof yellow is coming? I havnt seen anything about it or that is gonna be an option. The only thing I have ever seen about yellow was that one test car picture from nuremburgring. Has anyone seen any proof or interviews or anything that yellow is coming other then that one pic where all this hearsay is coming from ?
Pretty much hearsay. I'm pretty confident that it's coming though. I can't imagine Honda wouldn't have that color as a option, but I could be wrong.

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
has anyone any proof yellow is coming?
I saw someone on IG or FB share messaging between that person and HPJ where HPJ said there was indeed a PY 2020 CTR coming. I know that background sounds rather unsound, so take it for what it's worth, but based on when I saw that (which was around the time of the Nurburgring sighting), I feel like it's probably coming.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok cool was just curious as if I missed something. All i have ever seen was that one pic. Amazing how the chatter has spread from one pic lol.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I saw someone on IG or FB share messaging between that person and HPJ where HPJ said there was indeed a PY 2020 CTR coming. I know that background sounds rather unsound, so take it for what it's worth, but based on when I saw that (which was around the time of the Nurburgring sighting), I feel like it's probably coming.
Thanks. Yeah the sources is..... Funny how if its something people want they will say well HPJ said. If its something they dont then they say he doesnt know anything lol. Not you, just internet in general. I met the guy hes nice and all but hes just a guy like us. Big fan, pro honda, but he really dont have any inside info more then us from what he said. Who knows.

Ok so short version, right now yellow is a rumor based on one pic. Got it, thanks.

HPJ comes here sometimes, if you read this and know anything let us know.

Z3papa

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2011 BMW M3
Country flag
I think the inflated pricing for new and recent used Type R's is frankly ridiculous. I just bought a new 2019 blue for current msrp $37,230 but talked to many dealers who had cars as high as $44,000 even though they may have it listed on Cars.com or Cargurus.com for msrp or less. When they started trying to justify the price, I politely laughed and told them there is thread on this forum of the naughty vs. nice dealers where anyone can easily source dealers selling it at or below msrp. While they may feel the scope of forums are limited, most folks buying these cars are going to be enthusiast who will first check to see what owners think/feel about their cars. The used car prices are even more foolish as who would pay more than new msrp for a 2018 or 2019 which is not brand new, has been in service (ie lost months of warranty coverage) has miles, and may have some dings here and there.

OP
OP
lksfstcars

lksfstcars

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, Acura RDX
Country flag
I think the inflated pricing for new and recent used Type R's is frankly ridiculous. I just bought a new 2019 blue for current msrp $37,230 but talked to many dealers who had cars as high as $44,000 even though they may have it listed on Cars.com or Cargurus.com for msrp or less. When they started trying to justify the price, I politely laughed and told them there is thread on this forum of the naughty vs. nice dealers where anyone can easily source dealers selling it at or below msrp. While they may feel the scope of forums are limited, most folks buying these cars are going to be enthusiast who will first check to see what owners think/feel about their cars. The used car prices are even more foolish as who would pay more than new msrp for a 2018 or 2019 which is not brand new, has been in service (ie lost months of warranty coverage) has miles, and may have some dings here and there.
The used prices are what primarily prompted my initial post -- I previously owned an EVO which held value well too, but I never saw used ones above new pricing when I was looking for it.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The used prices are what primarily prompted my initial post -- I previously owned an EVO which held value well too, but I never saw used ones above new pricing when I was looking for it.
Just depends on area. Come to the carolinas. They sitting used everywhere 32 to 34. Mine sold used at 32,495 and was in mint condition. I live in asheville and all 7 R owners I knew but one have all sold their cars. They just aint popular around here and prices are lower.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I may be one of few people who thinks the Type R is under-priced. Anytime one of my friends or co-workers who is into cars hears the sticker price they go "you paid THAT MUCH for a civic?" and then after a 10 minute drive through the racetrack-esque roads around our office they say "it ONLY costs that much?"

It is remarkable bang for your buck in terms of Performance without sacrificing daily practicality.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
I have been "lurking" around this forum since the Type R was announced and am considering buying one -- my question to everyone is, why are the prices still so high still, especially for used? In fact, there are many used for higher than the price of new ... I understood two years ago, but now that over 30K are on the road, it isn't exactly a limited production model.
Demand persists. Your best bet is to start hunting for MSRP dealers.

OneSickFK8

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM FK8
Country flag
$36k-$37k OTD is possible depending on how hard you work the deal and if you have a decent trade in with a good amount of equity. Like $6k plus to get the tax savings.
Sponsored