CTR winter / snow driving tips

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
Seeing how this is a fairly unique vehicle (high power, FWD, manual, LSD, etc.), I was thinking maybe we could share some tips on driving this vehicle in winter weather conditions (ice/snow).

We all know that snow tires are the best solution, but after that?

-I've read that starting in 2nd gear under slippery conditions can be useful.

-When (if ever) is it recommended to turn off the traction control?
Sponsored

Naruske

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
This situation didnt happen in my r but im 100% its the same exact scenario. One time it was snowing pretty bad and roads were not drive-able at all. I was going up a hill in my hatch sport but i couldnt make it up the hill because traction control kept kicking in and stopping the power. I was getting frustrated as hell because i really thought i was gonna get stuck in the middle of the road like the telsa and chevy infront of me. As soon as i turned it off, i was able to go up the hill. Was i spinning like crazy? Hell yeah but at least i made it up lol

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
I would recommend using comfort mode in heavier snow as the throttle mapping changes. Makes moving from a stop on a hill quite a bit easier.

This car compared to my 86 is quite funny. I feel like I'm driving a tank, meanwhile everyone else is worried.

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
I use Comfort mode for my commute (unless it's summer and I'm feeling adventurous) and it handles great; I haven't had to start off in second gear. Yeah there are times where I slid a little because of slush, that can't entirely be avoided. I have not yet had to turn off traction control so I don't have any experience with that.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, I use second to start much more frequently in snow weather in this car. First gear is TOO twitchy even in comfort mode. Maximize distance between cars, and make slow movements whenever you can.

If you still to lose control DONT BRAKE, hit the gas (obviously don’t floor it) and the weight transfer should help you regain control. It sounds counter intuitive but front wheel drive cars can regain traction by adding gas.
Sponsored