CTR Rev Matching and Emissions Issues w/Check Engine light.

1. redline

redline Senior Member

Car(s):
    Civic
    If you have hondata read the code first and see what it is, most likely you missed a check box on the tune. People lose there shit immediately when the check engine/emissions shit comes on and are like zomg wiring harness. Literally any check engine light will trigger the emissions/rev match disable.

2. zdonsbach

zdonsbach Member

First Name:
    Zach
    Car(s):
    2019 honda civic type r
    Man hope you are right, but I’m pretty sure I double checked everything when I’ve reconnected it, but when I get back to my house tom night I’ll reconnect my laptop and make sure

3. pnewton1958

pnewton1958 New Member

First Name:
    Patrick
    Car(s):
    CTR
    Had the Hondata tune on my CTR. The 2 warning lights came on after some pretty heavy rain and foolishly allowing my gas tank to approach dead empty around that time. Filled the tank and the warnings disappeared after a day or so.

4. stuffle69

stuffle69 Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Car(s):
    2013 focus st , 2019 civic type r
    Have 2019 ctr with emission and rev match faults but my code is p0400 which is egr valve code is this total different problem? car only has 4000 miles on it could it need cleaned already?

5. GeezR

GeezR Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Car(s):
    Honda Type R, Caterham, VW Touareg, Chevy Volt
    Add me to the Emissions problem/rev match fault club. Like djhartm,I assumed I could drive this car from the dealership (where I bought it 2 weeks ago), to the race track. I did that with my Evo and my M3 without issues. Fortunately, I read various posts here (after the purchase) about all the track issues. So I had at least upgraded my tires to Bridgestone RE71R's 265/35/18's and a cheap but presentable set of track wheels. Cost $200 each vs the stock wheels that cost $1,325 each. Brake pads were ordered Hawk makes a set of track pads for the Type-R, (available from Tire Rack where I got my wheel/tire package), ditto brake fluid but didn't get them installed.

I ran at Mid Ohio yesterday in the advanced group, with the heater blasting to assist with cooling, in R+ and VSA partially off. The car ran strong (130 mph on the back straight) and kept up with or passed 80% of the other cars (its no match for well driven 'Vettes, Camaros, GT3's etc.). But everything else was fair game.

It got interesting in the third run. My fuel gauge said 3/4 full but after 3 laps I had fuel starvation and the car went into limp mode (what an appropriate term...), as I entered the straight, so at 45 mph I am giving point byes to guys doing 140+ mph. Not fun, and extremely dangerous to all concerned. And I had to limp the 2+ miles back to the pits. I got the fault codes (emissions and rev) and they wouldn't go away. Although the gas gauge said 3/4 full, I put 9 &1/2 gallons in it. When I restarted limp mode was gone but the rev match still didn't work and the fault codes were there. I did all the standard stuff: on/off, drive normally off the tack for an hour, on/off, disconnect the battery, etc. Nothing cleared the codes.

As it happened there was a person there next to me who had worked on trouble shooting Type-R issues as part of his employment. He assured me the car was safe to drive on the track. So I did and improved my times every session. Finally, after the last session I parked it and put it in Comfort mode and the fault codes cleared:). By the way, my gas gauge said 3/4's full again but it took 7 gallons. So the gas gauge is profoundly unreliable.

It was a warm/humid (75-82 degrees) day and the temp gauge went up when I was hammering it and would drop to normal after a half lap of taking it easy. After the limp mode episode I didn't want to have that happen again. I never was more than 3 bars from maximum.

I ran with VSA partially off. I an not sufficiently skilled to do better with no nannies. I ran with it "fully off" and wasn't as fast.

I had the same threshold braking "yaw" described by djhatm. And 2 times something kicked in that was the opposite of hyper-speed (hyper-braking?) and the car made a noise and decelerated so fast it snapped my neck forward violently-like hitting a wall. My Honda neighbor said the code was written to add boost to the brakes when it sensed imminent disaster. He also said the car's code is written to determine an over-heating issue when the car heats up too quickly, based on typical driving. So it can trigger limp mode if it heats up fast (like at a track day) even when its really not that hot.

Verdict: for $36K its a lot of car. It more than held its own on the track and was comfortable there and back. It has its well-known quirks and most can be worked around.