Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Proven working solutions have been posted multiple times. You will have to figure out which posted solution(s) will work for you - there is no one-size-fits-all or magic bullet.
I think he’s done almost every mod recommended and still over heating
Sponsored

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They used to allow the old bug to track with the engine bay door open (the engine is air cooled, no liquid cooling). Maybe try removing the CTR hood and go for a few laps to see if the problem persists, then we know where the problem lies and attack it accordingly.

Honda Civic 10th gen CTR Overheating? VW+Beetle+12A+Rotary-49-Edit

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
They used to allow the old bug to track with the engine bay door open (the engine is air cooled, no liquid cooling). Maybe try removing the CTR hood and go for a few laps to see if the problem persists, then we know where the problem lies and attack it accordingly.

VW+Beetle+12A+Rotary-49-Edit.jpg

haha I tried. The thing is that it only overheats when pushed hard at the track. And I asked the organizers if I could run without a hood and they said no... haha.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Turn heater to full blast or remove AC condenser :(

Arcam

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
Yeah I already cut my front grille and vented out my (already) vented hood.

yN82UZ.jpg
I will be interested to see what difference the new grille makes, have you considered waterless coolant?

Last edited:

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
I will be interested to see what difference the new grille makes, have you considered water less coolant?
Yeah. We've already reduced the amount of coolant in the mixture. Next up will just be basically straight water. haha.

Arcam

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
Yeah. We've already reduced the amount of coolant in the mixture. Next up will just be basically straight water. haha.
I meant are you considered trying something like Evan's waterless coolant?

veehexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK2R
Country flag
if putting the heater on is helping, that says it's radiator not got the capacity; cooling system simply cant get the heat out.
if tracks wont allow bonnet removal, tried raising the back edge of bonnet/hood?

while i dont have an fk8 (fk2 for me!), coolant temp needle remain in the middle even after 20-25mins sessions. oil would hit 135c+ without oil cooler.
outside looking in on these issues says 1 of 3 things for me; lack of air flow through radiator, radiator undersized, or a flow/restriction issue in the coolant system. one thing i mentioned on the fk8 track FB group was could it be a thermostat issue for those only seeing 2 laps? either fitted backwards or faulty. iirc one of the tuners mentioned they were working on an improved waterpump with higher flow so sounds like there could be something there?

with your temps hitting max, i'd be concerned about the rad cap blowing off and running low on coolant.

handsoffsam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackjunkies.org
Vehicle(s)
08 S2000 CR / 99 Spec Miata / 99 WRL Miata / 18 Type R
Country flag
How the hell does the TCR do it then? We need to check it out.
I mean my guess is it can be done if you throw street/daily comfort & use out the window and go full on race -- as it would with any car. Free up bay space and go to town. I don't have any specific experience with the R but am close to a few friends running the Si in Blancpain TCA. It just seems like once you're tackling heat management for hour+ races (or for the sake of our conversation a 20 minute track day session in high ambient temps) it's apply as many mods as you're willing to apply for heat mitigation, increasing in invasiveness / severity to the point that it's street form fades away.....

I remember a few posts ago JLOracing posted on this, I went and dug it up:

"as for the TCR cars, they still suffer from some temperature issues but I have seen the cars in person and talked to some of the crew. I have worked with Pro race teams for many years. Those cars were specifically built for racing, the CTR was built for the road and can see the track. The TCR cars have coolers designed and placed for racing, and ducted properly as well. My CTR has everything ducted, but placement and changing orientation of some of the factory items would greatly help cooling efficiency but is very difficult in the street chassis, whereas the TCR car has much more usable space."
Sponsored