CTR Overheating?

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You compare it to your GTR when one is a 6 figure supercar and the other is a 35K hotted up economy car... I don’t get how that’s a fair comparison.

It ain’t perfect, nothing ever is, but the fact that it is able to do laps faster than cars costing 4x it’s price says Honda knew what they were doing. And from the praise from the press as well as the comments from other users here, my guess is that most others agree.

If front wheel drive is wrong way drive then I guess I’ll be a fan of driving the wrong way forever. Oh well...:dunno:

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 Buick Grand National, 11 GTR, 18 CBP Type R, 11 Tundra Rock Warrior
Country flag
Have not compared it to a GTR someone else was trying to say that an put words in my mouth on here an I stuck up for the GTR I have both... how many of those cars are u talking about ten fold... to the amount with this engine an trans in the type r. I never overheated a b series never had a issue with my s2000 an they have been ran way harder than this thing... this car has major issues compared to how they marketed the car an what it can do if u wanna be in denial about it that’s fine it don’t bother me bash me tell me how it is idc.. I bash the car an u guys attack me don’t worry I won’t lose sleep over it lol... never discounted the handling on the car I said it was good more than a few times lol... just like i’ll Keep putting the car down all I want I don’t need a response u think the tires on this car don’t help it handle... watch some more videos on it going around the Nürburgring

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As far as emission stuff on the car no... it’s the way Honda plumbed the turbocharger an piping into the car it’s a bad design... the car does run pretty good in 60 an under weather though I will give it that

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would have paid 40k for this car if the issues there are with werent there an I understand it’s based off a 20k platform car so are a few other cars that feel better an don’t have the issues. Like I said in another post guys goes in Honda to buy one of these ok maybe can’t afford it but really has to have one like I said before also 35 maybe more some dealers are still charging is a lot of money for said guy.. he buys the car has issues with it over heating trans grinding can’t touch the interior afraid it will scuff everywhere doesn’t hit full boost in hot weather an is stuck with a 4-500 dollar payment. Yes I would feel bad for him very bad when he could have bought something same price without the issues this car is have an you guys will say ohhhhh well he shouldn’t have bought it or sell it an move bla bla bla yeah real nice

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I never overheated a b series never had a issue with my s2000 an they have been ran way harder than this thing...
i haven't experienced any of the transmission grind issues that people have. Just because you never experienced it, doesn't mean it's not there.

How about 370z's? They don't have oil cooling issues? Every car maker has some issues here and there. Nothing is perfect.

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That’s not a bad idea to get some of the heat out

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Exactly my point @boosted180sx... I am mad very mad... sry for ranting a lot but it’s because I am pissed that mine has these issues an others as well yes complaining about it isn’t the right way all the time but I haven’t had this car long an for it to have just about every issue everyone is complaining about plus some is disheartening... I do love Honda’s but I guess I just like the older stuff better...

Pittwm

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot, X5, Civic Touring, Accord, Type R
Country flag
I agree with you on some of the stuff you say but the constant complaining and bickering gets old.
Your right, there are some people who thinks the CTR is like the best thing ever made, which it isn't. But to call the car "no good" is a bit too much. It's clearly a capable car for the price range that it is in.
However, complaining about build quality on a car based off of a civic is just :dunno:. Not sure what you expected out of a car that is made off of a platform that costs 20k.
Amen to that... i jumped into this purchase from my previous car which is double the price... I did remotely thought about a M3 but the outlay of cash just isn't right (and I have two college going kids) Yeah there are things the CTR lacks but at the end of the day, it's a $35k car.... not a 80k car.

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
That's what I need, for city driving. Now, would we need to worry about water going into the engine bay too much then, like car wash and heavy raining?

will only help with heat escaping at low speed and stopped, been tested already as well a hood spacers

Kevin S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 hype R
Country flag
No, I am running a wide open louvered scoop replacement and has sat in pouring rain and tracked in pouring rain with zero issues.
Have you been able to get rid of the overheating issue with your mods ? Has anyone bent "real time racing"s ear to see what they did to resolve this issue?

Kevin S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 hype R
Country flag
It has helped, but still is an issue with more power and higher ambient temps we have here in GA. Last week I did some testing using a bone stock CTR. Testing a new unreleased part, temps were much better, but still analizing the data collected.
oil cooler ?

Has anyone reached out to realtime? I might give them a call. See if they are willing to share some info on what they have done with ctr race cars.

Kevin S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 hype R
Country flag
Currently running 25 row fully ducted Setrab setup, requires removal of stock brake duct, although i have seen that the ducts dont really work well anyway. I am working on a 19 row setrab setup for production use, fully ducted, retains brake duct, no permanent modifications to the car other than opening foglight panel and venting the fender line, nearly double the surface area of the HKS setup.

as for the TCR cars, they still suffer from some temperature issues but I have seen the cars in person and talked to some of the crew. I have worked with Pro race teams for many years. Those cars were specifically built for racing, the CTR was built for the road and can see the track. The TCR cars have coolers designed and placed for racing, and ducted properly as well. My CTR has everything ducted, but placement and changing orientation of some of the factory items would greatly help cooling efficiency but is very difficult in the street chassis, whereas the TCR car has much more usable space.
Thanks for the info. I wonder if Honda will fix anything ? I'm guessing they will not since it's a track only overheat condition...

I really want to enjoy this car but i don't want to deal with the overheating issues. I know how easy it is to overheat a turbo car and blow the head gasket...no fun !

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
JLOracing. Definitely interested in that 19 row Setrab oil cooler set up you are talking about. :thumbsup:
Sponsored