CTR in accident (not my fault) ... questions for experts

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
4 weeks ago I was involved in an accident on the NJ turnpike. 3 cars were involved with me being the last one to get hit. I was rear ended (at slow speed) with roughly $2500 worth of damage (mostly cosmetic. Car drives perfectly). The at fault driver totaled his car, car #2, caused damage to the guard rail, and my damage. He ONLY ($%##$) has $5000 limit for property damage.

His insurance is saying since he only has $5000 property damage coverage - all claims will be prorated and divided from the $5000. Basically I get like $500 - seeing he totaled a car and needs to pay for new guard rail! And I really can't file "diminished value" either since he will have no coverage left!

My insurance company highly recommends I just proceed with repair on my policy (I do have a $500 deducible) and they will "sue" him / his insurance company for the cost. Of course - my rates will increase.

What should I do? Advice please.
Sponsored

JayDiem

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8, 2007 Ram 1500, 2000 CRV
Country flag
Sorry dude, what a bunch of garbage. When your insurance sues their insurance, the lawsuit should be covering your policy increase, but it won't of course. I would either eat the 2K or file on your insurance because he is practically not insured. At least if you file with your insurance and they are going to jack your rates anyway, the diminished value aspect can also be addressed at that time.

OP
OP
ToofHurts

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
Yeah. Can't decide if I should cover repair on my dime ... or through my insurance. Of course I have fear a huge increase in premium with a claim. And the increase will likely cost me $2500 so I'm basically paying for repair now or later. haha.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2 grand? Just need a bumper and bottom lip? Probably could find a type r with front end damage that's the same color and Just buy the good parts...then it won't be color matched

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
ouch. No one has underinsured/uninsured coverage? Pretty much a requirement in CA.

Even though he has no more coverage, i'm pretty sure you can still go to small claims for the rest.

VinRRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R16017
Country flag
Insurance is the biggest scam on Earth. They collect money for you, and if something happens, they’ll increase the premium to make up for the money they pay you. Looks like you have to choice to get the car fixed and get it back on the road. Good luck! Why is it under property damage? Shouldn’t it be collision?

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Best part here is - since you just talked - not opened a claim, just talked to your insurance agent, you are already going to see higher rates for that conversation. They treat that as an incident, they log it, and now they will say in the future they are raising your rates for that / this accident.

Ask me how I know.

Best advice I have for everyone - Get a HIGH deductible. Something that is like 1500 or more. This lowers your monthly, and lets be honest, nobody claims 500 dollars or under on insurance. If you're in an accident, then when it's something major, then yes, pony up the $1500. But anything shy of 2k, NEVER talk to insurance - go get it fixed yourself, and move on with your life.

F insurance - biggest scam on the planet

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
Best part here is - since you just talked - not opened a claim, just talked to your insurance agent, you are already going to see higher rates for that conversation. They treat that as an incident, they log it, and now they will say in the future they are raising your rates for that / this accident.

Ask me how I know.

Best advice I have for everyone - Get a HIGH deductible. Something that is like 1500 or more. This lowers your monthly, and lets be honest, nobody claims 500 dollars or under on insurance. If you're in an accident, then when it's something major, then yes, pony up the $1500. But anything shy of 2k, NEVER talk to insurance - go get it fixed yourself, and move on with your life.

I could possibly see his rates go up if the poster was at fault but why would they go up if he was not at fault?... regardless if he just discussed the accident with the agent or not.

UnknownCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR SGP, Mercedes-Benz 2014 C250
Country flag

Ask me how I know.

Agreed

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I could possibly see his rates go up if the poster was at fault but why would they go up if he was not at fault?... regardless if he just discussed the accident with the agent or not.
Yes, because it happened to me.

My wife was sideswiped by a young girl, completely her fault, she called insurance to ask 'how do I make sure I do everything right because I'm a little shook up but she has insurance and is admitting fault'. Agent assisted her, then about a year later I got rates hiked because of an 'incident' on my record with them, which was that call.

Asking for help from an agent = raised rates

When I called them to ask why my rates were raised, and they told me why, I asked if my rates would be being raised again because I asked about my rates being raised again. Because why not, the irony in the moment was absolutely absurd. Changed insurance, not that it matters, they are all the same.

So yes, they will do anything and everything to F you over. Hence get a HIGH deductible and only hit them up when you really need it else you're just harming yourself.

scoobysnack

First Name
no
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2008 Volvo C30, 2009 Infiniti G37
Country flag

My wife was sideswiped by a young girl, completely her fault, she called insurance to ask 'how do I make sure I do everything right because I'm a little shook up but she has insurance and is admitting fault'. Agent assisted her, then about a year later I got rates hiked because of an 'incident' on my record with them, which was that call.

Maybe different insurance companies handle this differently. We’ve had State Farm for 20 years and our experience has been that as long as we’re not at fault our rates are unaffected. I still don’t understand why OP’s rates would go up.

I was hit with a shopping cart parked at target. I filed a claim and my rates never moved. I’m no insurance guru but our experience has been it depends on “fault”.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Also consider the state you are in. Insurance companies are regulated by the state they are doing business in. So AL, MA, CA,PA, NJ, FL etc likely all have different scenarios, coverage minimums, default coverages etc. So what happens to a 40 year old family man with 20 years of ins with the same company and a clean record could be different than to a 19y/o male who has several claims already in hand.

To the OP, if your car has more damage than is being covered, and you are unwilling to pay the difference out of pocket, then imho, let your ins company be your advocate to recoup losses.. either that or hire a lawyer or go to small claims court.. not sure what other options you have.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
the best way is to get associated with a lottery winner and then you can put up a bond for 1 mil and become your own insurance company.

kevv_FK8

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2022 Honda Pilot SE, 2013 Honda Civic
Country flag

When I called them to ask why my rates were raised, and they told me why, I asked if my rates would be being raised again because I asked about my rates being raised again. Because why not, the irony in the moment was absolutely absurd. Changed insurance, not that it matters, they are all the same.

So yes, they will do anything and everything to F you over. Hence get a HIGH deductible and only hit them up when you really need it else you're just harming yourself.
I have a $500 deductible and pay more for it....I think I am going to call and raise that...I have never been in an accident *knock on wood* and feel like I am just pissing the money away.
Sponsored