CTR/Hatch tint place in SoCal

1. stellarrock

stellarrock Member

Car(s):
    2018 Civic Type R
    Can anyone recommend a place in SFV (or close to Palmdale) that can properly tint a CTR or Hatch? Meaning the shop actually bought a back glass from Honda to use as a template so they don't have to remove the spoiler and wing.

2. OP
    OP
    stellarrock

stellarrock Member

Car(s):
    2018 Civic Type R
    Can anyone help out with where they had their hatch/Type R tinted?

3. potmilkz

potmilkz Senior Member

First Name:
    type-r
    Car(s):
    2017 PMM CIVIC TYPE-R
    if you want it properly done, gotta drive a bit.. contact g5 tint in alhambra, ca.. may be an hr something drive for you but they do 1 piece cuts.

4. Swordfish

Swordfish Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic
    What type of film did you get ? I'm considering tint as well, but for every good one there's a lot of bad ones. They look like they have good reviews.

5. potmilkz

potmilkz Senior Member

First Name:
    type-r
    Car(s):
    2017 PMM CIVIC TYPE-R
    g5 is top notch.. they are not cheap either. go with llumar ctx.. most bang for the buck.. also if i were you i would get the windshield too.

Once you have a car with a good windshield tint you wont ever go back to driving one without tint.. you dont have that blazing socal sun hitting your hands while you are driving. I believe its an extra $100 just to do the windshield. I have it on all my cars and would not drive one without it.

stellarrock thanked this.
  6. Donuyen18

Donuyen18 Senior Member

Car(s):
    Honda s2000
    An extra $100 for just the windshield? Holy crap, how much is the other windows

7. swah_fk7

swah_fk7 Regamaster King

Rolling JDM Parts Catalog
    First Name:
    Martin
    Car(s):
    2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
    A front tint is illegal in my state. :(

8. potmilkz

potmilkz Senior Member

First Name:
    type-r
    Car(s):
    2017 PMM CIVIC TYPE-R
    you can get clear tint that has 100% uv protection.

remember the amount of darkness has a small bit of UV protection but its all in the materials. unless your state does a full on inspection of the windshield.. otherwise you cant see it.

swah_fk7 thanked this.
  9. zelmo

zelmo Senior Member

Fabric Ninja
    First Name:
    Romy
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda CRV, 2017 Lexus NX200T F Sport, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
    Yup, I swear by G5. They have a hatch glass template so there's no need to take off the spoilers and rear wiper.

They even re-tinted my full windshield when the bubbles did not dry up.

Place was recommended by a member of Socal CTR and I am recommending them as well.

10. OP
    OP
    stellarrock

stellarrock Member

Car(s):
    2018 Civic Type R
    How much was it (minus the windshield)?

11. Htod86

Htod86 Member

Car(s):
    CTR, Highlander
    I use Black Diamond in Valencia. They just tinted all my windows minus windshield for 275. I believe they use ASWF. I have had the stuff on my other cars for close to 3 years without any problems. I have had Lumar and 3M in the past and I think this stuff is better.

12. potmilkz

potmilkz Senior Member

First Name:
    type-r
    Car(s):
    2017 PMM CIVIC TYPE-R
    aswf.. american standard window film.. is a dye film.. in turn which usually fade in a matter of 3-5 years if you live in cali.. this why ASWF is so cheap to do.

you want carbon film. no interference and never fades but cost a bit more..

people say tint is tint and it is not true.. have you ever tested one of those 3m crystalline displays they have at tint shops where they put the heat lamp there for you to play with. There are a couple of swatches to test the UV temps through.. you cant feel crap from 3m crystalline but you can feel a tiny bit from 3m color stable.

to summarize.. never get dye window film.. its the worse of the worse.. 3m color stable is the best bang for the buck.. 3m crystalline is like 2.5 times the price but its for ballers.

13. potmilkz

potmilkz Senior Member

First Name:
    type-r
    Car(s):
    2017 PMM CIVIC TYPE-R
    DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WINDOW TINT FILMS
    While window tinting has a wide range of benefits depending on the application in which it is used, the advantages and characteristics can depend on what time of tinting film is used. Costs can vary depending on the type of film, with dyed tinting films generally being the least expensive, to metallized and ceramic window tint films which are designed to provide the most protection and privacy possible.

Dyed Window Tint Film
    Dyed films are often considered to be the most basic and least costly type of film that is used. As the name implies, dyed tinting contains a dyed film which acts as a reflective barrier between the light and harmful rays of the sun and the interior of what is being tinted. This type of tinting film simply reflects the sun’s rays back through the window which stores a good portion of the heat itself. It is important to ensure that the window glass with this type of tinting received a proper level of airflow to dissipate the heat.

Metallized Window Tint Film
    Metallized films are created by applying very thin coats of reflective metal to the tint’s film, ensuring a high-level of safety from the sun’s UV rays while being able to maintain some of the thinnest film possible. This is advantageous as it provides advanced safety and privacy, all with minimal limitations of visibility from the inside of the tinted windows. This type is very useful in vehicles in which being able to efficiently see through the windows is important to your safety.

Ceramic Window Tint Film
    Ceramic Window Tint films are at the top of window tinting available on the market. Using modern nanotechnology, the film is thinly coated in ceramic which provides the upmost in protection from UV rays and the heat of the sun. This type of tinting film is generally the thinnest and most effective available, but also will be more expensive than other types of film. Ceramic Window Tint is perfect for anyone who desires the highest quality of tinting. This type of film is also extremely durable and scratch resistant compared to other styles.

14. potmilkz

potmilkz Senior Member

First Name:
    type-r
    Car(s):
    2017 PMM CIVIC TYPE-R
    i got 2nd best tint they got so you dont want to know how much it cost.. but just go with 3m color stable.. go there and test it out yourself they have several test glasses that you put infront of a heatlamp you can see which one rejects the most and do the comparison yourself.. i would stay dont spend no more than 250 for the windows.. but i would do the windshield too..

15. Htod86

Htod86 Member

Car(s):
    CTR, Highlander
    I have had the 3M products in the past on my FRS and the views out of the car were definitely not as clear as what I have now. Whether that was installation error or product, I am not sure. I will say that I am happy with the ASFW even if it is cheaper. Also I keep my cars garaged a majority of the time so I guess it varies for each individual.