Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Now that people have the Civic Type R FlashPro on their vehicles, here's some information to help those who are interested in tuning the ECU.

First in the series is the fuel pump. The high pressure fuel pump is a fixed volume pump driven from the camshaft. The high pressure pump output pressure is high (200 bar / 20 MPa / 2900 psi), and the inlet pressure from the in-tank pump is around 7 bar.

The pump can only pump a certain volume of fuel each camshaft revolution, which is almost exactly 1cc or 0.25cc per cylinder cycle. Since the fuel pump delivery volume per cylinder is fixed then the fuel pump delivery characteristic is tired to torque rather than power. From stock the pump is fairly close to its limit.

Honda Civic 10th gen CTR FlashPro tuning - fuel pump dyno-fuelp2

Here the datalog from a dyno run. In the bottom half of the image the purple line is the fuel pressure, green line is the target fuel pressure and the red line is the fuel pump duty cycle.

The fuel pump duty cycle is an important number to watch on the dyno. This channel did not exist and we added it in to the ECU to help everyone tune these engines. The duty cycle runs from 0% to 100%, with 100% being maximum output.

In the above datalog the fuel pump peaks at 95% at turbo spool and then tapers off to around 85% at peak power. This is fairly typical of a non-stock calibration.

Honda Civic 10th gen CTR FlashPro tuning - fuel pump dyno-fuelp1

Here is a datalog from a dyno run where the fuel pump is asked to deliver more fuel than it can provide. The fuel pump duty (red) is maxed out at 100%. The fuel pressure (green) drops. The ECU will tolerate a certain fuel press drop and compensate by increasing the injector duration without any ill effects, but at a certain difference (about 30 bar drop) the ECU will run a backup strategy. This increases the injection window to all the intake and compression stroke, which tends to make black smoke, an error code is set and the boost is reduced. Obviously we want to avoid this.

If, when you are tuning, you want to reduce the demand on the fuel pump, you can do one of three things:
1. Reduce the torque demand in the throttle tables.
2. Make the lambda leaner by using the minimum lambda table.
3. Reduce the torque/boost/air charge using the maximum air charge table. This is the best method.

In the above example I would reduce the maximum air charge in the region where the fuel pump is 100% by around 5% and then re-test. This is an interactive process.

What should the target fuel pump duty be? Because we are working with the air charge, not boost, it is largely invariant with temperature etc. I'm comfortable with peak duty cycles being around 95%. If the duty touches 100% very briefly then it is not necessarily anything to get too concerned with as long as the fuel pressure does not drop.

I may to revise this post If needed, so consider that if quoting the whole post.

Questions?

OP
OP
Hondata

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It is a bosch pump. They are used on many vehicles. If you look at the other vehicles using the same pump they max out at around 360 hp. But there are no pump upgrades I know of.

Detailmylifeaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type r , s2000 , delsol & soon to be a NSX
Country flag
It is a bosch pump. They are used on many vehicles. If you look at the other vehicles using the same pump they max out at around 360 hp. But there are no pump upgrades I know of.
I need to get to work on making a nice fuel pump hahaha . That’s certainly gunna holds us back for the moment. Hopefully some companies have something in the works

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In your 2nd image where the fuel pump is maxed out...is this with something like a 93 octane tune?

I'm wanting to know if those dynos you guys posted with the 91 and 93 octanes has the fuel pump max out? I'm assuming so...but hopefully the pressure was okay?

This kind of scares me lol.

fk8mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
In your 2nd image where the fuel pump is maxed out...is this with something like a 93 octane tune?

I'm wanting to know if those dynos you guys posted with the 91 and 93 octanes has the fuel pump max out? I'm assuming so...but hopefully the pressure was okay?

x48484

OP
OP
Hondata

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

That was from a testing run on the dyno we made some time ago.

fmoua916

Nothingbettah2do
First Name
Fong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type r agean blue
Country flag
Honda Hella dumb for putting a weak fuel pump on the type R haha looks like whoever is gonna make a better one first is gonna make some money!

MYTYPE

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
So....Does this mean the CTR will only make 360 hp max no matter what kind of upgrades you add including tune, DP, Etc?

OP
OP
Hondata

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There's room at the top end for more power, but not much more. Currently from what we have seen the turbo and intercooler as such a bottleneck that DP & exhaust make no difference. The holy grail is going to be running full E85 with a bigger turbo, and then the engine will produce significantly more power.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Excellent info guys. Thanks! I've been struggling to explain this to others...will share this.

jpmelfi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR #706, 07 S2k
Country flag
There's room at the top end for more power, but not much more. Currently from what we have seen the turbo and intercooler as such a bottleneck that DP & exhaust make no difference. The holy grail is going to be running full E85 with a bigger turbo, and then the engine will produce significantly more power.
Do you feel that even with an upgraded intercooler that a DP will still make no difference? Are we at the point where a DP will not be beneficial until a larger turbo is introduced?

nunoctr

First Name
nuno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fk2
Country flag
Now that people have the Civic Type R FlashPro on their vehicles, here's some information to help those who are interested in tuning the ECU.

First in the series is the fuel pump. The high pressure fuel pump is a fixed volume pump driven from the camshaft. The high pressure pump output pressure is high (200 bar / 20 MPa / 2900 psi), and the inlet pressure from the in-tank pump is around 7 bar.

The pump can only pump a certain volume of fuel each camshaft revolution, which is almost exactly 1cc or 0.25cc per cylinder cycle. Since the fuel pump delivery volume per cylinder is fixed then the fuel pump delivery characteristic is tired to torque rather than power. From stock the pump is fairly close to its limit.

dyno-fuelp2.png

Here the datalog from a dyno run. In the bottom half of the image the purple line is the fuel pressure, green line is the target fuel pressure and the red line is the fuel pump duty cycle.

The fuel pump duty cycle is an important number to watch on the dyno. This channel did not exist and we added it in to the ECU to help everyone tune these engines. The duty cycle runs from 0% to 100%, with 100% being maximum output.

In the above datalog the fuel pump peaks at 95% at turbo spool and then tapers off to around 85% at peak power. This is fairly typical of a non-stock calibration.

dyno-fuelp1.png

Here is a datalog from a dyno run where the fuel pump is asked to deliver more fuel than it can provide. The fuel pump duty (red) is maxed out at 100%. The fuel pressure (green) drops. The ECU will tolerate a certain fuel press drop and compensate by increasing the injector duration without any ill effects, but at a certain difference (about 30 bar drop) the ECU will run a backup strategy. This increases the injection window to all the intake and compression stroke, which tends to make black smoke, an error code is set and the boost is reduced. Obviously we want to avoid this.

If, when you are tuning, you want to reduce the demand on the fuel pump, you can do one of three things:
1. Reduce the torque demand in the throttle tables.
2. Make the lambda leaner by using the minimum lambda table.
3. Reduce the torque/boost/air charge using the maximum air charge table. This is the best method.

In the above example I would reduce the maximum air charge in the region where the fuel pump is 100% by around 5% and then re-test. This is an interactive process.

What should the target fuel pump duty be? Because we are working with the air charge, not boost, it is largely invariant with temperature etc. I'm comfortable with peak duty cycles being around 95%. If the duty touches 100% very briefly then it is not necessarily anything to get too concerned with as long as the fuel pressure does not drop.

I may to revise this post If needed, so consider that if quoting the whole post.

Questions?
Hondata have you seen this fuel pump problem on the fk2? There are many +400 hp fk2 and no tuner in Europe said anything about fuel pump problems or limit.

OP
OP
Hondata

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well it is the same fuel pump. The stock pump has some capacity at the top end, but I'd like to see what increase in power the FK2 is getting in order to compare numbers with what we dyno here. The reason I'm fairly skeptical is that I've dyno'd a Euro FK8 reflash on our dyno, which was advertised at 370 hp and it made about 10 hp over stock. So not anywhere near 370 hp.

8yourv8

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag

I dynoed my car on the 93 octane tune and i was hitting 92 percent while running 26 psi. My question is do i need a upgraded fuel pump?
Sponsored