Si Cry02 Cooling System

BlackedoutFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Taking queue from the cooling systems of the early 2000s that Subaru used, I decided to use the Cry02 Intercooler Spray System from Design Engineering, Inc. Just completed install, once I have more data to compare its effectiveness I will update the post. (Disclaimer: I am sponsored by Design Engineering, Inc.)

Honda Civic 10th gen Cry02 Cooling System Resized_20180328_201552

Honda Civic 10th gen Cry02 Cooling System IMG_20180328_212542_792

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Nice! Let us know what kind of temp drops you see. I'm planing on doing water/meth to curb mine

IlIIlI

lIlIlIl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Been eyeing your work on social media, and you're local! Can't wait to see your result and overall productivity, awesome seeing work being put into these L15s.

OP
OP
BlackedoutFC1

BlackedoutFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Been eyeing your work on social media, and you're local! Can't wait to see your result and overall productivity, awesome seeing work being put into these L15s.
Thanks man. If you're ever going to the track let me know I go to dominion, MIR and Richmond drag

OP
OP
BlackedoutFC1

BlackedoutFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I used something similar to this on my SRT-4 years ago. It allowed me to run the stock intercooler after going big turbo (stage-3). I would spray it just before a pull to get the lower intake temps and combat heatsoak. It to me was not a perm solution but it did the job at the track. I replaced the system with a large intercooler the same year though. Was cool having a purge valve though.

OP
OP
BlackedoutFC1

BlackedoutFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I used something similar to this on my SRT-4 years ago. It allowed me to run the stock intercooler after going big turbo (stage-3). I would spray it just before a pull to get the lower intake temps and combat heatsoak. It to me was not a perm solution but it did the job at the track. I replaced the system with a large intercooler the same year though. Was cool having a purge valve though.
That's my reasoning as well. Use it to get a couple extra runs in before heat soak is set in too bad

OP
OP
BlackedoutFC1

BlackedoutFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
UPDATE: Tested the Spray kit while doing some highway driving. Will do track testing when it stops snowing in April.

Speed: 75mph (constant)
Ambient Temp: 48 F
Water Temp: Aprox 60 F
IAT2 Pre Spray: 58 F
IAT2 Post 3 second Spray: 53 F

Temps dropped within seconds of spraying. even though it was only a 5 degree drop, I think using ice water will help a lot especially at the track.

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I didnt realize it used water. My system used co2 through a nozzle that sprayed at below freezing temperature. I have seen some cars have water sprayers though from factory. The theory behind how they work is sound. You will likely see a bigger temperature delta once the ambient temps rise. The water needs to evaporate on the intercooler for best results and 48 degrees ambient is a bit cool for that. Thanks for the update though.

OP
OP
BlackedoutFC1

BlackedoutFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I didnt realize it used water. My system used co2 through a nozzle that sprayed at below freezing temperature. I have seen some cars have water sprayers though from factory. The theory behind how they work is sound. You will likely see a bigger temperature delta once the ambient temps rise. The water needs to evaporate on the intercooler for best results and 48 degrees ambient is a bit cool for that. Thanks for the update though.
yeah I was going to do either c02 or n02 but decided to try this route 1st, something about a tank under pressure in a car with 4900 miles didn't feel right ahah. And I was surprised to see any results at all with the ambient being what it was. Looks promising though once we get into 95 F days at the track

OP
OP
BlackedoutFC1

BlackedoutFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
UPDATE #2:
1/8 mile drag

86 F - Ambient
75 F- Water Temp (aprox)
95 F- IAT 2- Pre race
110F- IAT 2 - post race
96 F- IAT 2- 5 second spray- 30 seconds after spray

14 F drop over a matter of 30 seconds. Once I can figure out a way to get ice to the track without the extra weight of a cooler I will do so. For a $100 kit, it allowed me to spend the entire evening keeping my IAT 2 temps at or below 100F. Previously, I was happy just to keep it below 120F.

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
I didn't realize that some metal brackets, screws and nuts can cost 75 dollars.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...Hb1EwyejBDvkcukhEJhoCb-0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
^^^Same thing except maybe larger tube lengths and brackets and screw and nuts added to the 107 dollar one.
This one from advanced cost 32 dollars.
I would also probably change the nozzles to something with wider angle and misty to get nicer coverage, these would cost less than 5 bucks.
Here is an example https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/a...crapers/super-liter-100-wide-fan-jets-x2.html

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Read about the CO2 sprayer on the intercooler years ago. Great idea! For my application, I'd need for the temp drop to be below ambient since my IAT/IAT2 temps typically are either the same as ambient to a worse of +10F. My use would be 95% for the dragstrip.

From my past reading though, the car that used it had issues with the CO2 (I remember the word 'cryo' being thrown around a lot) being sucked in through the intake and it was negating the power gains being had by the cooler inlet air temps. The position of the air intake was in direct path of the CO2 being sprayed onto the intercooler. It was close anyways. And I never read much more on it.

I LOVE reading about stuff like this. Thank you for posting and sharing your ideas and results.

Edit:
Just looked for a before/after result of this and this came up for a Mustang.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Read about the CO2 sprayer on the intercooler years ago. Great idea! For my application, I'd need for the temp drop to be below ambient since my IAT/IAT2 temps typically are either the same as ambient to a worse of +10F. My use would be 95% for the dragstrip.

From my past reading though, the car that used it had issues with the CO2 (I remember the word 'cryo' being thrown around a lot) being sucked in through the intake and it was negating the power gains being had by the cooler inlet air temps. The position of the air intake was in direct path of the CO2 being sprayed onto the intercooler. It was close anyways. And I never read much more on it.

I LOVE reading about stuff like this. Thank you for posting and sharing your ideas and results.

Edit:
Just looked for a before/after result of this and this came up for a Mustang.
Better to use N2O instead... But if the engine at WOT sucks maybe 200 gallons of air every 10 seconds, you also need a decent amount of any spray to make a difference even for a short pull.
Sponsored