Jeezer

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 civic hatch ex, '90 civic ef hatch b16a1, '95 a32 maxima vq35de
Country flag
I just picked up my '19 Civic EX hatch and I'm loving it so far... aside from the factory speakers. I've just about nailed down what I want to do with the door speakers, but I'm fairly certain I also want to install a sub. I've always had one in my past cars. I was comfy in my G37 with the bose sub, but I loved the 2 12's that I put in my previous cars.

My question is this:

How can I install a decent sub in my car without sacrificing too much space? I really like sealed boxes and nice response with some clean & deep low notes, but I know that means sacrificing cu ft. I have considered the following.
  • Loaded sub under the passenger seat (but would this make low low notes any better?)
  • Loaded sub attached to the back of the back seat (seat back might not hold up. Might have to build the box)
  • Custom fiberglass enclosure in trunk area (probably too expensive for me)
I feel like it would be really cool to mount a 12" enclosure on the back of my back seats (for my 12" jl w3v3) but I haven't seen many people doing anything creative like that yet.. How much weight could the seat backs really hold? Has anyone really gone "outside of the box" with their sub installs yet? I saw a few fiberglass boxes that were cool I've read through at least a dozen threads but I'd like to open a dialogue so maybe we can come up with some fresh ideas.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeezer

Jeezer

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 civic hatch ex, '90 civic ef hatch b16a1, '95 a32 maxima vq35de
Country flag
Stumbled across this and it seems like an interesting option. I'm willing to bet that it sounds similar to the under-the-seat loaded subs. I've seen and heard these in OEM applications but never considered an aftermarket one. Could be a nice way to add a little bass and keep it nice and tidy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-lis...?ie=UTF8&condition=all&qid=1550014010&sr=8-11

I would also consider installing an aftermarket sub in the OEM sub enclosure with a custom grill to allow a sub with a little more excursion, however my car did not come with a sub in it. Does anyone know what the parts numbers are for the sub enclosure and the trim panels needed to cleanly install it? (In the meantime, if I find them myself I'll post it here for others)

edit: For those wondering, it looks like the oem sub will not fit properly in the non-sport hatchback. The trim panel is only designed for the center exhaust hatchbacks so it would look funky with a gap at the bottom.

edit 2: So the CTR has the same floor as the non-sport hatches. Seems like the OEM sub enclosure should fit in my car.

Last edited:

curt d

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic sport hatch, 06 Cobalt LS, 08 C6 Vette
Country flag
I'm probably going to go with a single 12 in the side wall and sell my enclosure for 2 10s that I built. It was more time consuming that difficult. Wood sides, top, and glass bottom.

Honda Civic 10th gen Creative way to install subwoofer finished

Honda Civic 10th gen Creative way to install subwoofer finished open