Crazy to Prefer a Non-Si?

evansc22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
TL;DR - Am I crazy for actually preferring the non-Si, CVT version of the Civic?

I have a 2017 Civic EX-L Sonic Grey Pearl. 35K miles. Owned for 2 years. KTuner with TSP Stage 1 Tune. I'm in my forties. I've owned several manual vehicles. My first was a used '87 Nissan pickup. My most recent manual was a 2015 Mustang GT. I absolutely HATED the tranny. I wanted the manual because I've always been of the opinion that having an automatic Mustang was a downright abomination.

As I've gotten older, I've found driving a manual to be a bit of a pain. For short spans of time, it's great. My son has an '09 Si and I enjoy the heck out of driving it....for about 30-45 minutes. After than, I'm like, give me my auto back!

Over this past weekend I had the opportunity to drive a 2020 Civic Si Sedan. It was nice. I could def. tell the suspension was more sporty. It had some pep to it in Sport mode, and I've heard the KTuner really livens it up. I was a little surprised at just how light the clutch was. It was a normal, short, test drive just to find out if I would even want to pursue getting one.

However, upon completion of the test drive, I found myself not being that impressed. I mean, it's a super nice Civic, but I decided giving up the auto wasn't something I was prepared to do. Also, remote start. I live in a location where it's very hot during the summer. I use remote start on hot summer days to cool things down before getting in. Our winters aren't terrible, but it's nice to get into a nice, warm car on the days it is cold.

My car, with the Ktuner & CVT, is surprisingly fun to drive. I'm continuously amazed at the punchiness of this little car, and the CVT doesn't bother me. I really couldn't think of enough reasons to trade what I have for the '20 Si.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has a similar opinion. I know this is totally subjective. I guess I'm looking for a bit of validation! :thumbsup:

Honda Civic 10th gen Crazy to Prefer a Non-Si? AfterlightIma
Sponsored

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
We had CVT's in both a Honda Insight, and currently in our 2015 Honda CRV.
I like 'em. My only concern is they might not hold up and be as reliable as a manual trans.
Fun fact: when I compared gearing between the conventional CRV auto, and the CVT that's in our CRV.
The CVT was wider ratio spread than the conventional auto.
This surprised me that they could manage that with a CVT. It's got a lower low ratio, and higher high ratio, plus every ratio in between, seamless! They really are amazing transmissions.
Having said that, I still drive a manual because I'm only 66 years old. LOL!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I drove manuals for over 25 years (mostly Hondas) and still believe there is nothing more fun than rowing your own gears. Having said that, my EX-L CVT turbo tuned with TSP's Stage 1 is a terrific ride.

Back in the day, I'd take my cars out on curvy back roads every day for fun. Now, I'm mostly just a commuter either stuck in stop and go traffic or cruising on the highway.

The Si is a terrific car, no doubt, and it certainly is more competent in the twisties than my car. But, Honda did a great job with this chassis and my car handles quite well. I'm faster than a stock Si by quite a bit and honestly quicker than many (most) cars on my commute. The power leather seat is comfortable. The mods I've made have made improvements in power, handling and aesthetics. What's not to like?

So OP, I totally understand where you're coming from. Bottom line: There's a 10th gen Civic for everyone's needs.

Last edited:

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Sometimes you don’t want to have to think about rowing the gears for long periods of time. It’s more mentally exhausting on long drives. I get it.

I wanted to learn how to drive stick. So i said screw it and traded in my LX CVT to buy an Si when my lease was up. I love it.

But I also drive an F150 for work an average of 1000 miles a week, and I’m okay with that having an auto trans.

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Si isn't for everyone. If it was then Honda wouldn't bother with the other 5+ Civic trims they offer.
Excellent point, however with rev match shifting on the type R is a breeze if you're planning on a long drive. Also the clutch feels much better on the Type-R than the Si, as does the transmission. Overall every time I get into my CTR I'm ready to drive it, I haven't once thought I wish it was an automatic when climbing into the drivers seat.

If you enjoy your car that's what matters, so you made the right decision for you- if you took the time to test drive a used CTR somewhere.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I drove automatics for the majority of the years I owned my license (which isn't that much - 6 years) - then I switched to driving manual because the rest of my generation can't be bothered. I think if more people tried it they would realize it isn't as hard as it seems and unless you're in dead stop and go traffic it really isn't that much of a pain in the ass.

That being said, the new automatics that are out are ridiculously good, so I can't fault anyone for choosing one of them instead of a manual either. Also, I enjoyed my CVT when I had it in my first Civic before my Type R, so there's no shame in choosing it even if you're an enthusiast. Too many people get hung up on transmission choices and being judged nowadays. Drive what you want.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
High-heeled, glittery shoes are nice when the situation calls for them. But these days; sensible shoes fit (me) best 99% of the time.

There's no shame in choosing the low or mid grade car wash, gasoline, or driving in the right lane close to the speed limit. Life is all about balance, Daniel-son.

Go with what makes you smile, lets you sleep at night, and gets you to the church on time.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Too many people get hung up on transmission choices and being judged nowadays. Drive what you want.

No truer words, man. I learned after many years that no one was going to make my car payments for me so I figured I should drive what I wanted. And my Civic EX hatch checks off a lot of boxes for me.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Go with what makes you smile, lets you sleep at night, and gets you to the church on time.
I agree, but what about atheists? :cool:
Sponsored