Cost of a "B" oil change?

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
The inspection is supposed to be free... its what they find that will cost you an arm and leg. Those dealers have it backwards!
Sponsored

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
Other than MAYBE "inspections", the only difference is that they are actually supposed to replace the oil filter. Seriously. No air filters (at least if like my Pilot) till 30k.

My strategy when I bring it in is going to be this. NEVER mention codes or mileage (like "B1 Service" or "15k service") as it authorizes them to charge you for their "package". Instead say "I want an oil change and tire rotation". Say no to anything else other than free recalls. Don't let them charge you for anything else. They'll generally inspect for free to find warranty work.

Worst case and they say they won't reset your code, you can do that by following the manual.

Don't overpay and get scammed. "Sucking it up" is not appropriate for every other oil change

jcivics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I just brought my car in for it's second oil change. The maintenance minder had a code of B1 and they wanted to charge $126 (they charge $34 for just an oil change) to do the Honda recommended service which seems like just inspecting a bunch of things.

This seemed crazy expensive to me to just inspect the car. Also, it only has 14,000 miles on it. What are people's thoughts on this?

I'm not sure if I should be doing this every oil change or maybe every other year?
1.5L EX-T : Walmart

5qt 0w20 Mobil 1 full synthetic - $28
K&N hp1010 - $12

Then you only have to buy filters for every 2 out of 7 changes. That's $225 for 7 changes full synthetic.

I wont take mine to the dealer ever again after they put 4.7qt in my car, wondered why it bucked going uphill... they thought I had a 2 liter LX...
Won't take it to valvoline anymore either, the girl in the pit did not attach the 2 front screws on the bottom plate, came down going 90mph , I thought the turbo blew up from the sound...

The dealership did give me 8yr 120k platinum and valvoline replaced the whole plastic shroud and plate... But still, if I cant count on them for a simple oil change, I will do it myself.

Dealer is out to take your money. End of story. Use a little ingenuity and DIY, takes maybe an hour of your day, for peace of mind you know the job is done right, and you save a ton of money!

Mustnabs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
The dealership I go to does air filter and brake cleaning with the B service and they charge 249.99 for that + tire rotation.
I told them to just give me the A1 service

Mustnabs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Good deal, that service is worth at least $299.95 (sarcasm up the @$$)
Yeah I told the guy, the maintenance minder only asks for oil change and tire rotation. No need for air filters. He was like " but maintenance minder doesn't have a code for brake cleaning and adjusting" he went on about how the rust needs to be cleaned. I told him the car has 14,000 miles just give
Me the A1.

jcivics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Yeah I told the guy, the maintenance minder only asks for oil change and tire rotation. No need for air filters. He was like " but maintenance minder doesn't have a code for brake cleaning and adjusting" he went on about how the rust needs to be cleaned. I told him the car has 14,000 miles just give
Me the A1.
That's like the $170 coolant flush. Get flushed buddy!

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow. If a dealership wanted to charge me $250 for any of the services pre-100k (Spark Plugs/Coolant), I don't think I could go back there again. Again, don't mention the letters "A1" or "B1". Say "I want an oil change and tire rotation and nothing else". At 15,000 miles, you don't want ANYBODY messing with more than the minimum at this point as the factory has everything "correct". I wouldn't want anything other than oil changed/tire rotated before 30k and the Transmission Fluid and Filters (that I'll replace myself).

kered424

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/ Honda Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just did my B1 service recently as well. I told the dealer to just do the B service (oil change + inspections), and I'll do the 1 service (tire rotation) myself. They said that the tire rotation is included in the B service, and when I asked how much that was, they said ~$120. So I just told them to just do an oil change alone, which was ~$40. They threw in a complimentary inspection with my oil change.

First_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EXL Lunar SIlver
Country flag
I just did my B1 service recently as well. I told the dealer to just do the B service (oil change + inspections), and I'll do the 1 service (tire rotation) myself. They said that the tire rotation is included in the B service, and when I asked how much that was, they said ~$120. So I just told them to just do an oil change alone, which was ~$40. They threw in a complimentary inspection with my oil change.
$120 for a B1 service??

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOL, wow, just checked my local dealership as to what they are charging. Its $70.95 for an "A1" Service and $134.95 for a "B1" Service. Yeah, you'll charge that me in hell.

Here's what the B1 Service shows:

-Basic Service
-Change Engine Oil and Oil Filter
-Reset service interval indicator
-MM1 Rotate Tires
-Front & Rear Brake Inspection
-Adjust Parking Brake
-Check and adjust tire pressures
-Inspect Engine Air Filter
-Inspect Cabin Air Filter
-Complementary Multi-point Inspection
a $47.97 value!

LOL, LOL, LOL.

StevenK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Check out the thread "Service Advisor's opinion" and there's some guy (he looks like a service advisor) who claims advisors and dealers are completely honest and would not charge such prices, and do not rip people off LOL LOL :lol:

SilverDyme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Wussup guys. I have a question. I got MY FIRST oil change a couple months ago (A1?). I notice that when I go to the setting at the "wrench" icon on the dash, I see B1 on the bottom. Am I suppose to see that? When i got my first oil change i was down to 20% but I didnt get any notification on the dash I just went to the dealership and got an oil change. How does your dash look like on the "wrench" icon screen?
Sponsored