Cost of a "B" oil change?

TinSnips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Maybe??
Country flag
I just brought my car in for it's second oil change. The maintenance minder had a code of B1 and they wanted to charge $126 (they charge $34 for just an oil change) to do the Honda recommended service which seems like just inspecting a bunch of things.

This seemed crazy expensive to me to just inspect the car. Also, it only has 14,000 miles on it. What are people's thoughts on this?

I'm not sure if I should be doing this every oil change or maybe every other year?
Sponsored

87Si89Base16EXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX-T '13 Accord Sport '08 Scion xD '94 Altima
Paid $169 for my B1 few weeks back ... 21,500 miles. Seemed high to me, too. I just sucked it up

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just brought my car in for it's second oil change. The maintenance minder had a code of B1 and they wanted to charge $126 (they charge $34 for just an oil change) to do the Honda recommended service which seems like just inspecting a bunch of things.

This seemed crazy expensive to me to just inspect the car. Also, it only has 14,000 miles on it. What are people's thoughts on this?

I'm not sure if I should be doing this every oil change or maybe every other year?
I don't take my car anymore to the dealer. when I did, the most I paid for it was $60 (still too much) that was oil change tire rotations and courtesy inspection. I've never been charged for an inspection. even when I've taken to a random shop. that's upsurd! I do everything myself now, I don't know much but everything now days is on YouTube or just google search. it's really not that hard to do an oil change and no one is gonna care for your car as much as you would.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Buy your own oil and filter and bring them to the dealer and get a quote for just the B service labor. Rotating the tires is optional, but there will be an extra charge.

chuenoona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX, 2001 Acura CL Type-S
Country flag
Doing inspections is not necessary for warranty purposes.
I'm Not talking about inspections ..
Just saying that not servicing the car at appropriate maintenance intervals or doing your own work will give the dealership more reason to not uphold warranty

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Keep receipts, nothing sketchy about servicing your own vehicle in terms of warranty/Honda Care, unless you just can't manage to change your own fluids.

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sensing Sedan
The services are a rip off and pretty much stuff you can do yourself. I take it to the dealer and get oil change ONLY, with exception of a tire rotation every other time. I think the other parts of the service is an air filter (less than 5 minutes to DIY with no tools), a cabin filter (waste of money), check out the brakes (can you look through the wheel openings?) and rotate tires. Sometimes there is some pushback from the service manager.....like last time I went in for I think it was A1. He got cute and asked what the service was, since I claim to do it myself. 2 filters, rotate tires and check the brakes.....slick. He shut up.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag

PirelliPZero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EJ6, CBR
Way too much money, people. This is not a matter of accepting what a service costs - you are just being ripped off. (Particularly if you don't even know what work you're having done.)

B1 means oil and filter change and tire rotation. 0W20 oil changes are generally $35-40, as a couple here have mentioned. Tire rotation should be around $15. And every Honda dealer is supposed to do a complimentary Multi Point Inspection with every service (and go over it with the customer and supply you with a copy of it). There is nothing else to do at this mileage and this service - nothing else to be charged for, period.

(My dealership B1 service was $55.01 with taxes - $35.95 oil change and $15.95 rotation - though I think the oil change has since gone up a couple of dollars.)

This checklist should be included free with every single service. (If not, I highly suggest going to another dealership, or possibly even consider calling American Honda.)
Honda Civic 10th gen Cost of a "B" oil change? honda-multi-point-vehicle-inspection-checklist-lg-7298
Sponsored