Corolla headlights (bulb)

samaximuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Passat
Country flag
hi guys, random question. Are the new Corollas running factory LED bulbs or HIDs? I really like the output of the lighting that they come with stock, do they sell bulbs like that for our cars? From close/distance they look high end.

Anyone know?
Sponsored

OP
OP

samaximuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Passat
Country flag
The new Corollas are running LED low beams. Unlike the CivicX LED headlights (like in the touring models), it's an LED assembly behind a projector.
Thanks RB! Do you know what would be the best option that would come close to the output that they display? I got a hall pass on lights so before I pull the trigger I want to get something nice if possible.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Thanks RB! Do you know what would be the best option that would come close to the output that they display? I got a hall pass on lights so before I pull the trigger I want to get something nice if possible.
Hids

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I personally went HIDs. Did a bit of research on the forum and saw that dropping in HIDs in the OEM projectors would suffice for now. Before my '18 hatch, I had a 2002 with a morimoto retrofit, and that light output was phenomenal. HIDs in the stock projectors is a bit narrower than that of my previous retrofit, but there's still MUCH more light output than the shitty stock H11's. Here's the light output (with fogs on for kicks and giggles)
Honda Civic 10th gen Corolla headlights (bulb) piuiRjc

Honda Civic 10th gen Corolla headlights (bulb) ZDha6Zu

and a crappy cellphone shot of what the color looks like in the headlights themselves
Honda Civic 10th gen Corolla headlights (bulb) rEWdUZA

here's the kit I got: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-systems-17/hid-systems-universal/h11-morimoto-elite.html
H11b 5500k bulbs, 35W ballasts, and I opted for their relay harness. From what I gather, many people are running the same setup. Theretrofitsource also make a more-or-less "drop-in" HID projector for our headlights, but that involves opening the headlights up. I'm yet to do it on a 10thgen, but it was rather easy, albeit scary the first time, to do on my 7thgen.

OP
OP

samaximuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Passat
Country flag
I personally went HIDs. Did a bit of research on the forum and saw that dropping in HIDs in the OEM projectors would suffice for now. Before my '18 hatch, I had a 2002 with a morimoto retrofit, and that light output was phenomenal. HIDs in the stock projectors is a bit narrower than that of my previous retrofit, but there's still MUCH more light output than the shitty stock H11's. Here's the light output (with fogs on for kicks and giggles)
piuiRjc.jpg

ZDha6Zu.jpg

and a crappy cellphone shot of what the color looks like in the headlights themselves
rEWdUZA.jpg

here's the kit I got: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-systems-17/hid-systems-universal/h11-morimoto-elite.html
H11b 5500k bulbs, 35W ballasts, and I opted for their relay harness. From what I gather, many people are running the same setup. Theretrofitsource also make a more-or-less "drop-in" HID projector for our headlights, but that involves opening the headlights up. I'm yet to do it on a 10thgen, but it was rather easy, albeit scary the first time, to do on my 7thgen.
It looks like those 5K have a hint of blue, or might be the picture. I'm looking for pure white, would 4300k do the job?

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, they have a slight hint of blue to them, nothing terribly noticeable unless I'm looking intently at the beam pattern on a wall. They are, however, a hair cooler than the DRL, too. I usually go with 5000k when it comes to HIDs, and those have been more what I was aiming for, but with the Morimoto kit, my choices were limited to 4500k and 5500k, so I went cooler instead of warmer.
I found this picture of a guy doing a side-by-side comparison of Morimoto XB35 4500 vs 5500k bulbs in his Mercedes. They're older D2R bulbs, but the color temp comparison should still apply
Honda Civic 10th gen Corolla headlights (bulb) 370466d1501260982-morimoto-xb35-4500k-vs-5500k-color-comparison-pics-20151213_170417_zpsmjkoha5k

source thread from MB forum

10gCiViC

British Columbia Guru
First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si / 1972 Gran Torino 351CJ-4V
I had a Corolla S for two days as a courtesy car. I was excited to see how they perform at night. Let's just say they're ANNOYING AF. Cant see shit. The LED factory ones in my Si (Canadian model - same as touring) are so much better.
Sponsored