SoCal_R

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2016 GT350
Country flag
Hey guys, just picked up my R on Sunday and I plan on tracking this car quite a bit. Living in SoCal I know heat will be an issue so looking to alleviate that now some. Does anyone currently run the Koyorad radiator? If so, did it help with temps and were there any fitment issues?

Also, is there an oil cooler kit available yet? Besides going the DIY route and trying to piece together things. Or if anyone has done DIY, do you have a list of parts used and your results of using the cooler.

I am planning on getting the PRL intercooler as well and possibly running a meth kit to help with cooling and corrections.

Thanks in advance for help, and look forward to getting to know people within the group!
Sponsored

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last edited:

NMRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Vehicle Showcase
There are specific oil coolers in the works but i havent seen one for sale yet, its also been mentioned that a larger radiator may not solve the issue as its believed to be airflow related. Perhaps a more efficiant radiator would be more important than size and managing to get more air in the engine bay.

Doesnt seem like anyone is really adressing the air flow issues adequatly. A new grill that didnt look like shit would be good, I have also thought of opening the driver side fake grill to match the passanger but ive yet to remove the bumper to see whats even behind it anyways. I bet the hood scoop and/or ducting attached to the hood can be improved and have been thinking about tinkering with it. Another idea i thought would be to replace the giant bumper beam blocking the radiator with a bar instead. Then you have turbo blankets and wraps for down pipe and front pipe. I think passive and active cooling together will be the most promissing approach.

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
Does USR’s turbo blanket prevent reinstallation of the stock heat shield over the turbo?

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

bamills

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
United Speed Racing supplied oil cooler
http://www.unitedspeedracing.com/index.php?id_product=119&controller=product

Turbo Blanket
http://www.unitedspeedracing.com/index.php?id_product=121&controller=product

I have not run an aftermarket radiator. Full Race also has an aftermarket radiator.
https://www.full-race.com/store/hon...fk8/2017-honda-civic-type-r-radiator-upgrade/

Lava wrap down pipes, put on heat reflective tape around oil lines and coolant lines near turbo.
I'm thinking of installing this turbo blanket after I take delivery of mine. Was this a difficult install?

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm thinking of installing this turbo blanket after I take delivery of mine. Was this a difficult install?
I already had my car apart installing all the goodies.. even if it wasn't apart, it slips over the turbo and uses lacing wire to hold it on. I did see that some had springs holding it in place also.

bamills

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I already had my car apart installing all the goodies.. even if it wasn't apart, it slips over the turbo and uses lacing wire to hold it on. I did see that some had springs holding it in place also.
That makes sense. I had a good look at the photo you posted and it sort of seems that it just wraps around the turbo. I was curious if components would need to be taken apart to install. Thanks :)

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
I’m also curious as to the effects on the turbocharger if you retain all that heat within it with the blanket rather than allowing heat to dissipate. Anybody with experience in this? I’d be afraid that the oil circulation through the turbocharger would now be insufficient to keep it within operating temps.

JLOracing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-R Time Attack, 2007 Honda Fit Sport Time Attack, 2009 Honda Fit Sport Time Attack, 2009 Honda fit Sport World Challenge TCB, 2012 Honda Fit Sport daily, 1996 Honda Civic Coupe endurance road race, 1999 Honda Civic Hatchback rallycross, 1971 Datsun 510 Coupe project track car
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am working on an install DIY for the blanket. The factory shield is not re-used but down it would actually help much if any. I have been saying many places that in my testing the radiator size is not a problem but efficiency of the design (mass produced vehicle costs) and air flow to the radiator that is the issue. I know that Honda R&D tested a larger all aluminum radiator and saw no drop in coolant temps with stock grill, or even the grill removed. I am working with a company to have a stock size, high performance radiator built to increase efficiency but in my personal track testing, the chinese grill that increased airflow to the radiator by 55% made a big difference. With the stock grill I could only go 4 to 5 flat out laps at my local testing track, same day, swapping the grills and i could now run a full 20 minute session or about 13 laps flatout with temps getting warm but never dangerous. I am now running a different chinese grill that still has optimal airflow, but now looks more stock with H emblem that I cut the background out of to add some airflow, and also added the Type-R badge to, pic attached.

The http://www.unitedspeedracing.com/index.php?id_product=119&controller=product USR Oil Cooler setup also aids in further reduction of temps. The design incorporates Setrabs highest line of SLM oil coolers into the lower center bumper opening and utilizes a dead space under the stock intercooler. It is also being fit with PRL and Injen intercoolers to offer options. Placing the cooler in this location rather than the drivers side grill area is that it doesnt effect aerodynamics in anyway. Honda designed the front end with airflow in mind, reducing coefficient to drag, etc. Opening the side grill, adding a cooler with proper ducting to assure all the air goes through the cooler rather than just pocketing in the bumper and then exiting through the fender liner into the wheel well all causes a disruption of the airflow path the front end was designed for as well as causing turbulance which is not good a high speeds.

Any and all methods used to help with thermal management will add up to a big increase, but my suggested path is higher flowing grill, Turbo Blanket, oil cooler, catless downpipe with lava wrap (USR downpipe blanket in the works), PRL intercooler, reflective gold foil on cooling lines, valve cover side, oil pan, trans case, etc.

http://www.unitedspeedracing.com/index.php?id_product=119&controller=product
http://www.unitedspeedracing.com/index.php?id_product=121&controller=product
http://www.unitedspeedracing.com/index.php?id_product=100&controller=product
http://www.unitedspeedracing.com/index.php?id_product=151&controller=product

in addition, in my own testing with temp probes in multiple locations, the hood vent did nothing at all for extracting heat. I am contemplating cutting my hood and adding an aluminum louvered panel directly over the turbo to extract the excess heat effectively.

Honda Civic 10th gen Cooling Mods 27707391_10155469521914007_1209195631_o

JLOracing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-R Time Attack, 2007 Honda Fit Sport Time Attack, 2009 Honda Fit Sport Time Attack, 2009 Honda fit Sport World Challenge TCB, 2012 Honda Fit Sport daily, 1996 Honda Civic Coupe endurance road race, 1999 Honda Civic Hatchback rallycross, 1971 Datsun 510 Coupe project track car
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m also curious as to the effects on the turbocharger if you retain all that heat within it with the blanket rather than allowing heat to dissipate. Anybody with experience in this? I’d be afraid that the oil circulation through the turbocharger would now be insufficient to keep it within operating temps.
the very slight increase in temperatures are significantly outweighed by the performance benefits, there have been many studies in this:

https://repositories.lib.utexas.edu/handle/2152/43718

NMRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Vehicle Showcase
@JLOracing have you attempted to modify the diverter under the hood of the stock scoop to better direct air flow? Or have you done any testing with the scoop completly blocked off to verify its providing no benifit?

Also do you think the turbo blanket can be installed without removing the down pipe, im planning on adding the blanket but currently holding back as the downpipe Im getting wont come till march.

Thanks for answers

JLOracing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@JLOracing have you attempted to modify the diverter under the hood of the stock scoop to better direct air flow? Or have you done any testing with the scoop completly blocked off to verify its providing no benifit?

Also do you think the turbo blanket can be installed without removing the down pipe, im planning on adding the blanket but currently holding back as the downpipe Im getting wont come till march.

Thanks for answers
It is possible to install the blanket with the downpipe on but it will be very tight, hope you have small hands.

I have tested with the vent blocked off as well and saw zero change. I have considered removing the stock vent, cutting out that area more and installing louvered plate, but often this far back on the hood it can be hard to create a good vacuum to extract air, but may do some testing with it this summer depending on how everything else works in the Georgia Heat
Sponsored