First Name
Mehrdad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Volvo XC60, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Hi guys,

I got the BlueDriver OBDII scanner and was curious to see how the few cars I have access to are behaving and when the fan kicks in to cool the car and how long does it take that they reach the threshold.

In my Volvo XC60 it's very precise controlled somewhere between 91C and 96 and when floored it sometimes goes to 99 but only in quite high load.
Mazda3 was between 79 to 83C and didn't have the chance to see it in extreme load condition.
And today I checked the CTR and it was quite different. It start from 78 up to 96C, no high load at all and looks like a very broad range compared to the other two cars I checked.

What are your thoughts?
Sponsored

OP
OP
mehrdad

mehrdad

First Name
Mehrdad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Volvo XC60, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Did you have to unlock your ECU to get that coolant reading?
No, for all the cars I tested it can easily read the coolant temp. Interesting is that except Mazda3 2010 that has not temp gauge Volvo and Honda gauges are not showing any real temperature changes. It's just for our comfort and in case of a real overheat they may move higher.

Milktealord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Fk8 Type R
Country flag
Interesting because I tried different obd2 readers off amazon and it won’t displace coolant temp whereas on my other cars it would. Wonder if your obd2 scanner is different to allow the reading

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No, for all the cars I tested it can easily read the coolant temp. Interesting is that except Mazda3 2010 that has not temp gauge Volvo and Honda gauges are not showing any real temperature changes. It's just for our comfort and in case of a real overheat they may move higher.
Thanks for the report. I’m interested in the BlueDriver device. Can you take a screenshot of all the gauges it is able to display for the CTR? Thanks.

various cheeses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Some cars’ coolant gauges don’t display the actual temperature. In my Cayman, it’s buffered. Once it hits 194F, it stays there on the screen. The actual temperature varies a lot depending on use. Supposedly they do this to keep you from panicking.

d15b7

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 1995 Civic EG K24/20 EFR7163 Fortune Auto track weapon
Country flag
hi! i'd say not 'some' but almost 'all' car gauges do this nowadays. grrrrrr! i actually hate this and its one of my pet peeves. the temp gauge will go up to the 1/3 to 1/2 position and stay there even as the coolant temp is rising and it won't move; then suddenly once its hot enough it'll suddenly start moving up really fast towards H. the car companies do this so that the average car driver doesn't 'panic' as he sees the temp gauge going up and down slightly during everyday use. temp, and oil press (if it has one) are heavily damped in most cars/trucks nowadays because of this worry of panic. my old chevy truck had 'real' gauges that read what the engine was doing; on hot days the temp would show 195 deg going down the highway and if you stopped suddenly in heavy traffic it would creep up to 220 and then slowly go back down towards 200 again. oil press when driving would be 50-60 psi and when idling would be 20 psi. big swings! but totally normal. my new Titan XD has a temp gauge that goes to 1/3 and i've never seen it budge no matter what (and i know the temp has to be fluctuating!). the oil press gauge on the Titan goes to exactly 1/2 no matter whether cold or hot or revving 3k rpm or idling at 600. obviously damped for us 'dummies' lol. anyway, thats how most companies do it now and we have to live with it

EdwarDallas

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
My 2020 Si ECT stays around 180F +/- 5 degrees once it is fully warmed up from what I have observed using Tuner View Lite.

Edward
Sponsored