Considering trading my Cayman for a CTR

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
685FD62D-8D1C-4086-8595-49E496DD097D.png

Yes! That’s my game plan soon I hope. Either that or an older GT4 sounds interesting. They released the 2019 as having 425hp with a “new intake manifold” I feel like there must be more done for that kind of gain. Curious to see if you can buy an older model, add the intake manifold and tune and have 425hp or more it’s all the same 3.8l motor but I feel they must’ve changed more?

At 80-90k for a GT4 now would be fun.
I’m really tempted with the new 992 911 C2S ;-)
Sponsored

OP
OP

various cheeses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Just get a GT3 or GT3RS and be done ;-)
Haha money no issue I'd probably daily a Turbo. Also that's the Clubsport GT4 btw, the factory racer. I don't think the street 718 GT4 has been released yet.

I'm going to get a ride in a CTR with a local forum member, so we'll see if that sways me in one direction or another.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Haha money no issue I'd probably daily a Turbo. Also that's the Clubsport GT4 btw, the factory racer. I don't think the street 718 GT4 has been released yet.
Nah says 2019 for it coming out but the last Clubsport has the same motor as the regular gt4 so it’s pretty safe to assume they’ll be the same.

OP
OP

various cheeses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Nah says 2019 for it coming out but the last Clubsport has the same motor as the regular gt4 so it’s pretty safe to assume they’ll be the same.
Could be. Oh god, if the GT4 ends up being the only NA in the Porsche lineup, imagine how high the demand (and by extension, the dealer markup) is going to be.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
trading a porsche for a cheap family car... i never understand rich people.

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
trading a porsche for a cheap family car... i never understand rich people.
It’s not the money. It’s the engineering ;-) We appreciate good engineering no matter what the price is.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I have a feeling the good Naturally Aspirated Porsches are going to become like the craze for air cooled Porsches eventually. I recently picked up a '18 BMW M550i to replace my previous '15 550i and with a 0-60 under 4 seconds the car is no slouch and has killer acceleration but I find myself wanting a purpose built 2 door sports car more and more. Even though I could financially justify a new 911, I find myself considering adding a Cayman GTS to the fleet. Sure the 911 and even my heavy Sedan would kill it in a race but straight line performance isn't everything, the feeling of that manual with that sound behind me is honestly something that i've been wanting for a long time. The way a car makes you FEEL is something thats pretty slept on these days, people are gonna hopefully realize eventually that the performance on paper isn't everything. (Edit: meant Cayman GT4)

Last edited:

jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
I have a feeling the good Naturally Aspirated Porsches are going to become like the craze for air cooled Porsches eventually. I recently picked up a '18 BMW M550i to replace my previous '15 550i and with a 0-60 under 4 seconds the car is no slouch and has killer acceleration but I find myself wanting a purpose built 2 door sports car more and more. Even though I could financially justify a new 911, I find myself considering adding a Cayman GTS to the fleet. Sure the 911 and even my heavy Sedan would kill it in a race but straight line performance isn't everything, the feeling of that manual with that sound behind me is honestly something that i've been wanting for a long time. The way a car makes you FEEL is something thats pretty slept on these days, people are gonna hopefully realize eventually that the performance on paper isn't everything.
I tell people this all the time. You have to look beyond the numbers presented in an automobile mag or site. Most people aren't going to be able to duplicate those numbers. Also the numbers don't tell the whole story. It truly is about the driving experience. A car that doesn't have the most power or greatest 0 - 60 or lap time may make up for it by providing a fun and amazing driver experience that may cause you overlook to the aforementioned things.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
I tell people this all the time. You have to look beyond the numbers presented in an automobile mag or site. Most people aren't going to be able to duplicate those numbers. Also the numbers don't tell the whole story. It truly is about the driving experience. A car that doesn't have the most power or greatest 0 - 60 or lap time may make up for it by providing a fun and amazing driver experience that may cause you overlook to the aforementioned things.
Like a Miata? I hear they're fun to drive.

jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
Like a Miata? I hear they're fun to drive.
Yes. I never had the opportunity to drive one, but I've heard other journalists and forum members rave about how fun they are to drive.

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yep, too many armchair editors and car reviewers these days not to mention youtuber generations who have zero experience professionally reviewing cars smh.

you said it well...all about the human connection not shit on paper. wish people would go drive and experience personally vs bench tuning ;-)

many wonderful cars out there today...

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Some 'awesome' cars are a snooze - the GTR is allegedly one of those - mega power but so technologically assisted it has no soul and just drives for you / has very little enjoyment. There is a video out there where they compared the GTR to an EVO and they wanted to own the EVO because it was more fun.

I have some crazy cars currently but enjoyed the Type R immensely. I'll probably get one one day but I love cars of all levels and kinds, so much fun to be had if you sample and don't pre-judge.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
All this talk makes me realize how many cars I wanna own/drive lol. If only I could live out my dream and just become the next Jay Leno by buying a warehouse and just storing it with cars. A dude can dream I guess...

CivicRGTS

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman GTS, Civic Type R, CRV Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am on several Porsche forums and you could do that, but after you do DUCK as you might get flamed! Some are car guys/gals who will understand and have great opinions. Some are Porsche only folks and can be very opinionated. All I know is the CTR is a couple of tenths quicker 0-60 than my P-car. Braking is as good as a $200k NSX with only having the Brembos on the front! Every thing I have read and my short drive shows the car does handle so some P-car folks will respect those facts. When I posted on my favorite forum I got a couple of positives and one "butt-ugly" but that dude was just poking fun. Please do let us know if you do ask the P-car forums for opinions.
I own a 2015 Cayman GTS manual 3.4 in GT Silver color and a Champion White 2018 CTR. I drives the CTR 80% because it grows on you. My wife loves it much better than the Cayman. The precision of the Porsche quality in construction and driving experience is World Class. It is in a league of its own, especially with the neutral mid engine polar balance. My Porsche maintenance cost was only yearly oil change and 2nd year brake fluid change. I think it is the most reliable car I have owned. Plan to keep both as they will appreciate significantly just like my 2008 S2000CR. However, not all Caymans are worth the same ie, GT4 and GTS models.

OP
OP

various cheeses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
How long does it take for your CTR to get to operating temp? One thing that annoys me about my car is that it takes a good 15 minutes of driving for the oil to get to temp. I never get to gun it on the onramp going to work because it's still cold.
Sponsored