Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
As for the audio you are better off keeping the oem headunit. Your best bet would be to change out the speakers and sub with high quality components and add a couple of good amps and a processor like a bit one. This should give you awesome sound with an oem look. This is what I am doing as I already have most of the equipment. Also what do you have in the P car as far as audio? Can you put it back to stock and reuse the components?
You can change the headunit processor?
Sponsored

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
I don’t think the actual head unit processor. But you can add a dsp that you can tune your music the way you like and make it sound so much better with a clean signal.

OP
OP

various cheeses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
I guess it all depends on the speaker sizes and how integrated your system is to the car.
Yeah one of my favorite things about my Porsche is that the head unit only controls the stereo and displays the (aftermarket) backup camera. The actual car options are handled by a stalk on the steering column, and menus are displayed to the right of the tach. Climate control, heated/vented seats, variable damping, etc, are all handled by buttons. Everything is nicely compartmentalized and no function was lost with the aftermarket system - something rare in modern cars it seems. Sometimes I wish I sprung for the 911, if only for the back seats.

Hah, you know I think my problem stems from wanting to share the enjoyment of my car with as many people as possible. The idea that I can't stuff my entire family into a mid engined two seater and hurtle down the road irks me on some subconscious level I guess.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Wife uncomfortable for long trips.
Then you better let her test ride/drive the CTR. If she's not happy in the CTR, then you are back in the same boat you are now.

Practicality is nice.. except that you didn't buy a Cayman to be practical.. you bought it because its awesome. Id suggest joining your local PCA chapter and get that car to the AX/Track venues.. then never sell it.. let your kids fight over who gets to ride with you etc.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't have any issues with my Type R. I'm at 14000 miles now.

When I say no issues...that means no mechanical issues, nothing is breaking, etc. My transmission is just fine. I'm not certain what is causing some people to have the issues they have.

As for some of your cons on the Type R...have you looked at maybe a Golf R? I think you can get heated seats in that...also, it is a 5 seater vice 4 seater like the Type R. As for the STi, it's a bit rough to daily also (in my opinion).

I would seriously consider the Golf R from what I'm reading on your cons for the R (thinking it may be the best bang for buck when you have the whole family in the car).

I have 5 kids...obviously they're not all in the car when I have them, lol...but when I take some of them with me, it's for short trips, etc. I never go that far in the CTR.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
Also does the glove box really not lock?
That is correct. One of the things I was kind of surprised by when I bought the car.
Turns out, if someone breaks into your locked car, they'll have no problem breaking open your locked glove box.

I believe the only reason cars have locking glove boxes is to prevent access to the trunk on/off switch. Since there isn't a trunk, there is no real reason for a lock on the glove box.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
I do find that to be a very odd thing to worry about. Are you trying to lock away drugs during a police traffic stop? : P jk

I could see the angle of if you have a CCW and need to run into a bank or somewhere you’re not allowed to. However I just hide mine under the seat for that short trip.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
I lock mine to prevent auditors for looking for drugs in my car... job rekated stuff.

OP
OP

various cheeses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Hmmm there’s a 2019 CTR listed at a Honda dealer an hour from me...
I do find that to be a very odd thing to worry about. Are you trying to lock away drugs during a police traffic stop? : P jk

I could see the angle of if you have a CCW and need to run into a bank or somewhere you’re not allowed to. However I just hide mine under the seat for that short trip.
Hah it’s that exact reason actually. The ccw not the drugs that is.

I’ll probably keep the Cayman for now, but the Type R keeps calling to me for some reason. Maybe someday.

jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
Hmmm there’s a 2019 CTR listed at a Honda dealer an hour from me...

Hah it’s that exact reason actually. The ccw not the drugs that is.

I’ll probably keep the Cayman for now, but the Type R keeps calling to me for some reason. Maybe someday.
I feel the same way. I actually test drove one finally, but they wouldn't let me go over 50 mph and it was a really short drive so I didn't get to drive it like I would like. I actually prefer the Evo over it, but it keeps calling me too lol. Maybe I'll get one later on, right now just trying to save for these future nursing school loans :thumbsdown:.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
I've been debating with myself for a couple months now. I currently have a 2016 base Cayman, but I keep thinking about trading it for something cheaper to maintain, more practical, and yet still fast/unique. I keep going back and forth.

Cayman Pros:
∙ Custom ordered with a light spec sheet, arrived on my birthday a few months later - slightly attached to it because of this
∙ Installed a custom stereo for $5k
∙ Fun to drive, great looking, and reliable, two trunks helps it punch above its weight for practicality
∙ Porsche prestige, even though it's not a 911
∙ Last year of the flat-6 Caymans

Cayman Cons:
∙ Already took a 10k+ depreciation hit
∙ Stereo gets drowned out by the road noise somewhat, may also affect resale value
∙ Wife uncomfortable for long trips
∙ 2 seats means I can never take the whole family in the car. I have some fond memories of riding around with my parents in a Saab 900 in the 80s.
∙ Extremely high maintenance costs, especially if something breaks.

I've been tossing around the idea of trading it for a CTR (or STI, but leaning more toward the CTR)
CTR Pros:
∙ Faster than the 2.7 Cayman
∙ Rev matching downshifts is cool as hell
∙ Way more practical
∙ Cheaper maintenance, could also do a direct trade with a dealer (maybe?) since the price is similar to my Cayman. Possibly cheaper insurance too, since it's a "civic".

CTR Cons:
∙ Does the stereo suck? Can't replace the oem radio I'm guessing, so I'll be stuck with the factory head unit. I don't plan on dropping $5k again, but I always like to upgrade the sound system.
∙ What's up with the transmission grinding? Long term reliability is my main concern honestly. Sure it's a Honda, but it's not made in Japan anymore.
∙ Not a huge fan of 20" wheels vs potholes. New wheels would mean more $$$.
∙ No heated seats, not a huge deal though
∙ How the hell do I even find one of these for sale? Dealers I called said they get snatched off the lot almost immediately. Is it even possible to test drive one?

On one hand I love my Cayman, and it almost seems like fate that it was delivered on my birthday. On the other hand, a CTR would probably fit into my future a lot easier, I actually like the crazy looks, and I can't help but remember how close I came to getting an Integra Type-R back in college... (got a GSR instead). I'm not sure if I'm trying to talk myself in or out of the trade at this point.
Shit, so here’s the deal:

The CTR will last. I have no worries there. I have 14,500 miles on mine (it’s a 2018, shit, I know) and I have had zero issues with it.

I have 600,000 of manual transmission driving experience. I know what they’re referring to with the grind, and there is none. What there is, is a shit ton of inexperienced drivers behind those manual boxes who don’t understand how each gear differs from the other. I won’t get into the details of that. I have grounded my CTR zero times.

The CTR handles like a mother fucker. It’s surreal.

The CTR will only amaze you at speed, don’t dream of having fun at low speeds, it just won’t deliver like a slower high revving Honda would or like your N/A Cayman does. Keep it on the track.

The novelty of the CTR will eventually wear down on you, at that point, will you have wished you kept the Cayman S?

The CTR is a front will drive, and it will remind you of that during take off.

The CTR has an insane engine and transmission. World Class shit.

The CTR will be cheaper to maintain long and short term.

I would keep both if I could.

OP
OP

various cheeses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Yeah it's a tough call. I'll have to take a test drive and see. Thanks dude.

HONDA X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
If you do decide to trade in the Porsche for the CTR, you won’t regret it. The CTR is a very fun car to to drive, the power and handling is amazing. The only problem is the exhaust can be a little too quiet and driving it can start to become boring. Then again that could be very subjective from person to person.

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just get a GT3 or GT3RS and be done ;-)

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Considering trading my Cayman for a CTR 685FD62D-8D1C-4086-8595-49E496DD097D
Just get a GT3 or GT3RS and be done ;-)
Yes! That’s my game plan soon I hope. Either that or an older GT4 sounds interesting. They released the 2019 as having 425hp with a “new intake manifold” I feel like there must be more done for that kind of gain. Curious to see if you can buy an older model, add the intake manifold and tune and have 425hp or more it’s all the same 3.8l motor but I feel they must’ve changed more?

At 80-90k for a GT4 now would be fun.
Sponsored