.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
^^^ they’re definitely a strange group from my experiences. Either die hard Porsche or nice and open to other cars or ideas. Doesn’t seem to be much middle ground with them
Sponsored

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
^^^ they’re definitely a strange group from my experiences. Either die hard Porsche or nice and open to other cars or ideas. Doesn’t seem to be much middle ground with them
Not sure which sites you have been on, but pm me if interested in some suggestions...and how dare you call "us" strange!!:rant:

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
^^^ nothing but respect and admiration for me on the lambo forums. they're fascinated and like ctr. a number of us have both.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Not sure which sites you have been on, but pm me if interested in some suggestions...and how dare you call "us" strange!!:rant:
No offense meant I’m talking about the ones I’ve met at a track that won’t give the CTR a point by or look down on the caymans. They aren’t all bad!

I’m on rennlist and 6speed but mostly just lurk there. The cayenne gts isn’t going anywhere but I’d really like to trade the cayman s for a “real” : P Porsche soon.

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan (sold), 2019 Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You Porsche folks can be strange lol...especially the 944 and 924 guys. I sell parts at a Porsche dealer in the back counter (work with techs). When those guys call they look for the craziest shit.
The cayman is a bad ass car, but i would get the R over a base 981. The base 981 won’t hold value as the S or GTS. You can then fly the fastest Honda flagship and have better resale.
Or get a 911 turbo S:spaz:

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
I was only joking...besides there some strange folks at either of those two sites...but some good folks as well. No point by because they don't want to be smoked by a CIVIC!:thumbsup:
No offense meant I’m talking about the ones I’ve met at a track that won’t give the CTR a point by or look down on the caymans. They aren’t all bad!

I’m on rennlist and 6speed but mostly just lurk there. The cayenne gts isn’t going anywhere but I’d really like to trade the cayman s for a “real” : P Porsche soon.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
I still get some 2nd gear grinds from time to time. Not a lot. I'll also get locked out of 4th every so often when downshifting from 5th. But mine is an early 2017. I've heard rumors that the 2019 "might" have some slight changes to the tranny to possibly fix these issues. These are just rumors I've heard. Maybe someone else here knows for certain.

And yeah, good luck getting a test drive on a new one. Most dealers won't let anyone sit in one much less test drive one. I read on here once that after much back and forth that a dealer let a customer test drive one for no more than two miles.
See if you can find someone with a used one close by. Offer them lunch or something. I think most owners would love to let a prospective buyer drive their Type R. Hell, I've let several prospective buyers drive mine so far. If you're ever in the north Alabama area hit me up. I'll let you drive mine.

@ctrmofo , I read you're planning on driving yours for quite a while longer. Are you still planning on getting rid of it when the c8 comes out?

CW20038TypeR

First Name
Franklin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW type r 2018
Country flag
2018 here and I have not noticed any tranny funk

If you are in Los Angeles you can check my car out.

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I still get some 2nd gear grinds from time to time. Not a lot. I'll also get locked out of 4th every so often when downshifting from 5th. But mine is an early 2017. I've heard rumors that the 2019 "might" have some slight changes to the tranny to possibly fix these issues. These are just rumors I've heard. Maybe someone else here knows for certain.

And yeah, good luck getting a test drive on a new one. Most dealers won't let anyone sit in one much less test drive one. I read on here once that after much back and forth that a dealer let a customer test drive one for no more than two miles.
See if you can find someone with a used one close by. Offer them lunch or something. I think most owners would love to let a prospective buyer drive their Type R. Hell, I've let several prospective buyers drive mine so far. If you're ever in the north Alabama area hit me up. I'll let you drive mine.

@ctrmofo , I read you're planning on driving yours for quite a while longer. Are you still planning on getting rid of it when the c8 comes out?
Haha no grind no noise no rattles no creaks...nothing here. Car is damn solid and more solid with SoundSkins ;-) I even half clutch and slip left foot off half way down on clutch for my speed and power shifting...zero issues at all and buttery.

Yes, hard to test drive unless a used one on the lot. Don’t see why they’d let anyone test drive a new one unless cash in hand. I wouldn’t want one it has test miles on if I’m the buyer.

I do plan to keep mine for a number of years? Love it more than any Honda I’ve owned in 57 cars, except for 03 NSX and 01 S2000 (stored for 6 years now). No thanks to C8...not a fan of modern Vettes just old school 60’s stingray convertible.

s2ktaxi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, '19 Civic Si, '17 Civic EX HB, '09 Civic Si, '01 S2000
Country flag
Had a 981 GT4 and a 981 Spyder. Were they fun - absolutely. And with PSE, they sound better than a CTR probably ever could. Bit given the price difference, the CTR has better bang for the buck and is much more practical - but it doesn't feel as special. But you are comparing with a base 981 - which given that you ordered it the way you wanted will always be more special. But sounds like practicality is higher on your priority list.

OP
OP

various cheeses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Thanks for the input guys. I'd love to drive one if anyone has one in the central NC area. You can drive my car if you'd like!

Can the head unit be replaced with aftermarket? I know some of the actual car controls are on it, such as the downshift rev match. Any way to go aftermarket and keep some of that functionality? I upgraded the stereo in every car I've ever owned, and these increasingly integrated touchscreens are making it more difficult to get what I want. Also does the glove box really not lock?

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
As for the audio you are better off keeping the oem headunit. Your best bet would be to change out the speakers and sub with high quality components and add a couple of good amps and a processor like a bit one. This should give you awesome sound with an oem look. This is what I am doing as I already have most of the equipment. Also what do you have in the P car as far as audio? Can you put it back to stock and reuse the components?

OP
OP

various cheeses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Damn. That means no flac support though. I guess I could convert my library to 320 mp3s.

Not sure if there’s a path backwards on the Pcar stereo. The speakers are gone, but I do have the oem HU. There was a bit of custom work that went into adding the backup camera and door speaker mounts. I also have a little Mosconi amp/dsp that I may be able to take. Not sure tbh.

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
I guess it all depends on the speaker sizes and how integrated your system is to the car.
Sponsored