Considering trading my Cayman for a CTR

various cheeses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
I've been debating with myself for a couple months now. I currently have a 2016 base Cayman, but I keep thinking about trading it for something cheaper to maintain, more practical, and yet still fast/unique. I keep going back and forth.

Cayman Pros:
∙ Custom ordered with a light spec sheet, arrived on my birthday a few months later - slightly attached to it because of this
∙ Installed a custom stereo for $5k
∙ Fun to drive, great looking, and reliable, two trunks helps it punch above its weight for practicality
∙ Porsche prestige, even though it's not a 911
∙ Last year of the flat-6 Caymans

Cayman Cons:
∙ Already took a 10k+ depreciation hit
∙ Stereo gets drowned out by the road noise somewhat, may also affect resale value
∙ Wife uncomfortable for long trips
∙ 2 seats means I can never take the whole family in the car. I have some fond memories of riding around with my parents in a Saab 900 in the 80s.
∙ Extremely high maintenance costs, especially if something breaks.

I've been tossing around the idea of trading it for a CTR (or STI, but leaning more toward the CTR)
CTR Pros:
∙ Faster than the 2.7 Cayman
∙ Rev matching downshifts is cool as hell
∙ Way more practical
∙ Cheaper maintenance, could also do a direct trade with a dealer (maybe?) since the price is similar to my Cayman. Possibly cheaper insurance too, since it's a "civic".

CTR Cons:
∙ Does the stereo suck? Can't replace the oem radio I'm guessing, so I'll be stuck with the factory head unit. I don't plan on dropping $5k again, but I always like to upgrade the sound system.
∙ What's up with the transmission grinding? Long term reliability is my main concern honestly. Sure it's a Honda, but it's not made in Japan anymore.
∙ Not a huge fan of 20" wheels vs potholes. New wheels would mean more $$$.
∙ No heated seats, not a huge deal though
∙ How the hell do I even find one of these for sale? Dealers I called said they get snatched off the lot almost immediately. Is it even possible to test drive one?

On one hand I love my Cayman, and it almost seems like fate that it was delivered on my birthday. On the other hand, a CTR would probably fit into my future a lot easier, I actually like the crazy looks, and I can't help but remember how close I came to getting an Integra Type-R back in college... (got a GSR instead). I'm not sure if I'm trying to talk myself in or out of the trade at this point.
Sponsored

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Keep both or do both.

I have loaded 2014 Cayman S with just 11K miles now and won’t let it go. One of most under related cars on the market. Can’t beat flat 6 and mid-engine RWD that’s so well balanced around the corners. I don’t see high maintenance since I’m at 11k miles and all I’ve done have been 1 oil change per year or every 5K miles whichever comes first. Solid reliability. Tire noise is worse in CTR with minimal insulation (zero insulation in trunk btw which I’ve installed entire trunk with SoundSkins to reduce road noise by about 30-40%).

CTR is gobs of room and blast to drive. Got mine back in March 2018 for MSRP and fully built it at merely 200 miles with GRP boost controlled turbo back system, PRL IC, Mishimoto intake (soon to test PRL), Eibach springs, Karcepts 9 way adjustable rear sway bar....including Hondata custom tunes (72 maps, 4 versions for different driving each with 6 maps X 3 driving modes). Fully upgraded speakers, sub, amp, and Palindrome Labs deeper sub grill kit I build and sell...no big ass sub box taking up trunk space. Search for my audio upgrade thread for tons of info and custom hidden foam tray.

Lots available for sale. Just look around and most are now at MSRP or some cases less than MSRP. Do NOT pay dealer markup. You will lose over 5 years. Those who have are now regretting it...makes no sense financially, promise you. Used prices are declining at rate of 10% every next 12 months per current trend tracked on wholesale market.

Just quick summary from owner who has both, 2 Lambos, couple Audis including APR stage 3 built 2015 S3, and couple bikes....keep/do both. Each has a purpose so enjoy!

OP
OP

various cheeses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Man that would be an awesome compromise, but I'd probably put the excess Cayman cash toward a new house or upgrading my wife's car. Barring a lottery win it would have to be one or the other. We're not hurting for money or anything though, and the maintenance isn't HORRIBLE, it just could be better.

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Man that would be an awesome compromise, but I'd probably put the excess Cayman cash toward a new house or upgrading my wife's car. Barring a lottery win it would have to be one or the other. We're not hurting for money or anything though, and the maintenance isn't HORRIBLE, it just could be better.
If you really have to just have one of the 2 cars in question, get the CTR for overall practicality combined with fun. Having more room is valuable given your personal case...that time you need to haul some wood or that big screen TV you’ve saved for, CTR gets job done and isn’t your grandfather’s or high school kid’s Civic (although some CTR owners still act like HS kids).

OP
OP

various cheeses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Anything you dislike about the CTR? I know the infotainment system had some issues with the base civics.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
Anything you dislike about the CTR? I know the infotainment system had some issues with the base civics.
The infotainment is not the best in the industry but it's not a deal breaker for me. When I'm driving - the less I fiddle with stuff, the happier I am. And I don't have to fiddle with stuff with this infotainment. I rarely use it besides to change the source of audio and to check on my fuel consumption. And to use navigation on unfamiliar trips (navi is quite good, better than I expected). It's only frustrating if you expect something as responsive to your touch as a brand new iPhone or Note or whatever - it registers all of your touches, just with a bit of lag. Otherwise, it's been solid for me without errors.

Dealer service will probably suck, depending where you are. Keeping the car clean isn't fun. Not having heated seats isn't an issue for me - the faux suede has never felt chilly like leather or vinyl would. I've never had a grind, but I never had grinds in my old RSX which other people also claimed to have grinding issues.

Yes, you'll lose the Porsche prestige but the Type R badge is prestigious in it's own right to those who know. When I got my alignment done at a local shop, my mechanic said, "Man...that car is something special." And the way he said it, I knew he didn't trot that line out for everyone who brings their car in.

If you want to test drive one, look at used ones on dealer lots. Find one not in a showroom and ask for a test drive. Rolling up in a Porsche will help.

Last edited:

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
This is funny! I have a 2005 Porsche C4S one of only 728 produced as an 05 996 C4S which was final invoiced on my birthday. I was thinking about upgrading to a Cayman S of about the same vintage as the OP due to maintenance cost and inherent defects of the 996. Then...the youngest kid bought a 2018 CTR and made me drive it. Well I'm now on the local dealer list to buy one after only a ten minute drive. Thought about trading the C4S or selling outright, however, I have now decided as ctrmofo suggests...keep both. Great way to compromise! If you can do both...just do it! BTW Happy New Year!

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Do it! I’ve got a 2014 cayman s and even with the more power I enjoy the CTR more on a daily basis. If you can’t afford to keep both I’d definitely trade the cayman for a CTR.

Don’t get me wrong I love the cayman but the ctr just does everything better except be a two seater sports car : P

JayDiem

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8, 2007 Ram 1500, 2000 CRV
Country flag
CTR Cons:
∙ Does the stereo suck? Can't replace the oem radio I'm guessing, so I'll be stuck with the factory head unit. I don't plan on dropping $5k again, but I always like to upgrade the sound system.
∙ What's up with the transmission grinding? Long term reliability is my main concern honestly. Sure it's a Honda, but it's not made in Japan anymore.
∙ Not a huge fan of 20" wheels vs potholes. New wheels would mean more $$$.
∙ No heated seats, not a huge deal though
∙ How the hell do I even find one of these for sale? Dealers I called said they get snatched off the lot almost immediately. Is it even possible to test drive one?
Stereo - Not the best not the worst, my 2010 Civic SI sound system was a bit better.
Transmission - Not everyone is experiencing the grind. I have but it's not bad and I can pretty much avoid it. Simply put, the car doesn't like to be banged into gear like Hondas of old. I would still purchase a CTR.
Wheels - Wasn't a fan either, you can get a set of decent wheels for like 700 bucks. IDK why Honda chose 20's.
Heated Seats - They're cloth so it's really not bad. Non issue IMO.
How to find one - Pretty much plan on picking one up out of state. Keep up to date on dealer nice list here and people passing on info about msrp Type R's. Test Drive? Probably not.

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honestly, not much and actually very minor quirks but can live with or be modded/fixed.

- No volume knob until MY2019 but got used to it.

- No glove box light or felt lined glove box so flocked it red and installed wireless LED light.

- No heated seats but not leather seats so won’t get ass frostbite and no heated steering wheel like I have in all my other cars.

- Quiet stock exhaust but modded with GRP boost controlled valved exhaust which is more fun anyway.

- Upgraded all 10 of 12 speakers to JL Audio’s C2 series speakers, W3V3 8” sub and XD600/1v2 amp and loving it since I enjoy audio work. Head unit stock and works fine for me (https://www.civicx.com/threads/full...s-amp-center-channel-and-door-speakers.27310/)

Best bang/$ sports car more than most can handle for under $40K...$37K OTD in my case and all smiles.

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
PS - I’m going sort of opposite direction from you...looking at the new and gorgeous 992 911 C2S or C4S by trading in my ‘14 Cayman S LOL. Yes, said I won’t change the Cayman S, but I’m getting more and more attracted to the new 911 with its new interior design...and it’s a new year so what the heck ;-)

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
PS - I’m going sort of opposite direction from you...looking at the new and gorgeous 992 911 C2S or C4S by trading in my ‘14 Cayman S LOL. Yes, said I won’t change the Cayman S, but I’m getting more and more attracted to the new 911 with its new interior design...and it’s a new year so what the heck ;-)
Lol I’m in the same boat, really enjoying how those look. After getting the CTR I just don’t enjoy the cayman s as much. Looking at the new 911 or an older GT3

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lol I’m in the same boat, really enjoying how those look. After getting the CTR I just don’t enjoy the cayman s as much. Looking at the new 911 or an older GT3
If you want mint and OCD selection of used ones, contact GRP since it’s their focus - new/used hard to find Porsches. Graham will hook you up!

Wife loves the Cayman S cuz it’s small and can drive every day though when she’s not driving the Macan S which is best mid size SUV I’ve ever owned.

We digressed...love my CTR after all the work and gonna drive it for a long time this one. Some pics for OP to convince him more ;-)

Honda Civic 10th gen Considering trading my Cayman for a CTR BC7A9909-2390-4053-AFCC-043DE8A23F48

Honda Civic 10th gen Considering trading my Cayman for a CTR 5183CCC5-0230-4398-9ABE-87B90A5BE5FD

Honda Civic 10th gen Considering trading my Cayman for a CTR C11A2AA9-2455-4B40-AAB1-4A3BA01BDF4A

Honda Civic 10th gen Considering trading my Cayman for a CTR 71E67A05-606B-425A-92A7-4EE5D856513F

Honda Civic 10th gen Considering trading my Cayman for a CTR FB1490B7-CF57-40B7-8924-709D6EB1C6DD

Honda Civic 10th gen Considering trading my Cayman for a CTR 01ED8D69-9A2B-4A90-A231-74967F941EF1

Honda Civic 10th gen Considering trading my Cayman for a CTR 84CDC8F6-C59E-4A61-808F-78B1E5AAED6B

Honda Civic 10th gen Considering trading my Cayman for a CTR 162D5671-A160-4215-AE4E-AD1370AA498F

Honda Civic 10th gen Considering trading my Cayman for a CTR 0D12BAAD-012A-4033-A356-221D3266484B

Honda Civic 10th gen Considering trading my Cayman for a CTR 9F665DBC-9A7F-46B4-A52B-C9462602332A

Honda Civic 10th gen Considering trading my Cayman for a CTR BE561917-3C2A-417A-8C38-327F482949C1

Honda Civic 10th gen Considering trading my Cayman for a CTR D4D42831-7F53-4DB9-A596-E71AC42E1C85

Honda Civic 10th gen Considering trading my Cayman for a CTR B46F5305-1C6A-493C-AE08-CC3CFC2A2C22

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
to be fair, you should post the same question on a Porsche forum and i wonder what their feedback will be. please share.
I am on several Porsche forums and you could do that, but after you do DUCK as you might get flamed! Some are car guys/gals who will understand and have great opinions. Some are Porsche only folks and can be very opinionated. All I know is the CTR is a couple of tenths quicker 0-60 than my P-car. Braking is as good as a $200k NSX with only having the Brembos on the front! Every thing I have read and my short drive shows the car does handle so some P-car folks will respect those facts. When I posted on my favorite forum I got a couple of positives and one "butt-ugly" but that dude was just poking fun. Please do let us know if you do ask the P-car forums for opinions.
Sponsored