Considering trading for an Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT

1. Design

Design Senior Member

Car(s):
    09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
    #211 Design, Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    To be fair, roadholding is a small component of the total handling equation. As I mentioned earlier, the LSD provides better overall grip/traction during corner exit (most notably). And the results begin to show in more extreme comparisons such as C&D's Lightning Lap:

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a23319884/lightning-lap-times-historical-data/

Even on All-Seasons, the Si's mannerisms under extreme cornering are more predictable - thanks in part to its enhanced AHA in Sport Mode, tighter steering ratio, beefier jounce bumpers, and more heavily weighted feedback.

I suspect the Accord's ability to stop faster has more to do with the pad material chosen by Honda. Great for initial bite - not so much for fade resistance. I noticed that C&D went through a full set of front pads after a mere 10 laps at VIS.

2. amirza786

amirza786 Senior Member

Director of IT
    First Name:
    A
    Car(s):
    2006 Camry SE V6, 2013 Toyota Sienna LE, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport, 2018 Honda Civic Si (SOLD)
    One thing I am a bit curious about...why they did not include an LSD and slightly stiffer suspension (adjustable dampers) on the Accord Sport 2.0T Manual version. It in no way competes with either the Si or the CTR. In other words, Si drivers would not pick the Accord Sport over the Si and their upgrade path would most likely be a CTR. The Accord Sport is more for people hitting their 40's and my age (52) that needs a bigger more comfortable car with a bit of a performance edge

3. bikejog

bikejog Senior Member

Car(s):
    2020 Civic SI Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
    Throttle House on youtube says the Accord manual is a dud. They like the VW GLI better.

amirza786 thanked this.
  4. amirza786

amirza786 Senior Member

Director of IT
    First Name:
    A
    Car(s):
    2006 Camry SE V6, 2013 Toyota Sienna LE, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport, 2018 Honda Civic Si (SOLD)
    Yes, Savagegeese also complained about the manual trans. He said it was very wobbly. I would only buy it in automatic

5. Zeffy94

Zeffy94 Senior Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Type R
    It's really fast with the 10AT. My coworker got one. Kept up with my Type R with a friendly competition off a light. Super responsive transmission too.

amirza786 thanked this.
  6. Design

Design Senior Member

Car(s):
    09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
    I would still take the 6MT option all day long. Despite how it's characterized by reviewers, it's the same shifter as our Si's - just with longer throws. The Miata's shifter, by comparison, feels much more connected and weighted over the Accord/Civic's. But Honda's iteration is still quite good IMHO.

7. monstarind

monstarind Monstar Industries

Sales Rep for Monstar Industries
    First Name:
    Monstar
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Type R FK8R
    Darn good info on the handling aspect but I personally wouldn't expect the Accord 2.0T to handle like the FK8R or even Si. The accord is more for us older folks who want some power and have children. Mid life crisis early stages.

amirza786 thanked this.
  8. Aero2001

Aero2001 Senior Member

Car(s):
    Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
    I agree the Accord Sport, at least the 2.0 MT version, should have an LSD and adjustable dampers to make it like an Accord Si. As you said, it doesn't compete with the hot Civics and, just as importantly in the big picture, it doesn't compete with anything from Acura either, because they've completely dropped manual transmissions. Maybe the upcoming 2G TLX will be a real sport sedan, but it will undoubtedly cost much more than the Accord, so they still won't be true competitors. So I think the Accord Sport could be taken further, and enthusiasts who want the MT would probably be willing to pay a little extra for the LSD and adjustable dampers. I certainly would.

Nevertheless, I still think the Accord Sport qualifies as a sport sedan. I've driven both MT and 10AT versions, and they're great, with handling a lot like my 2G TSX and much more power. I had no complaints about the 6MT, and if I bought an Accord Sport I'd probably go that route. But I was surprised how much I liked the 10AT. It's a great match for the engine, and works extremely well.

amirza786 thanked this.