Considering trading for an Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Last year, I bought one of the first few hundred Civic Si's made and had to drive 8 hours to get it. I enjoyed it for 5-1/2 months until the front, passenger door and roof rail were damaged due to vandalism at less than 6,000 miles. Because of this, I've now fallen out of love with it and am now considering an Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT.

Wait... WHAT? The whole reason I bought a Civic Si in the first place is because I wanted something I could shift myself that was economical and fun to drive. I've even discussed why the Civic Si is a better value than the Accord Sport 2.0T, although those comparisons were with the 6MT version of the Accord.

The 10AT version changes things a bit. It's priced the same as the 6MT, yet it's significantly faster. It also adds remote start along with low-speed follow to the adaptive cruise control. You lose the adaptive dampers in the Accord along with the LSD, the audio system isn't as powerful, and the fuel economy is lower, although it is tuned for regular instead of premium so fuel costs are essentially the same. The saving grace for the 10AT is the paddle shifters that allow you to hold a gear indefinitely in sport mode.

Perhaps I'll get the Civic Si repaired and fall in love with it all over again, but for now it continues to be a thorn in my side. At this point, I'd rather see what the 2019 Civic Si offers or put another Accord in my garage for a while. The Civic Si's trade-in value is strong and it's a buyer's market for the Accord right now due to slow sales and excess inventory along with 1.9% financing.
Sponsored

Last edited:

daijobu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I don't have any good advice here, but I'm sorry this happened to you. I had my 9th gen Si vandalized, and although I kept it and still enjoyed it plenty until I traded up for the 10th gen Si, I completely understand the 'thorn in your side' part of your argument. Goodluck on what you choose next, and it might be worth waiting for what kind of mid-refresh the 2019 Si's might come.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I had no less than 4 claims on my 00 Si. And each time the shop did a phenomenal job bringing it back to near-perfect condition. The advantage of being a Civic is that likely most shops have already had experience with a few. And they are highly modular platforms.

I REALLY enjoyed my seat time in the Accord 2.0T. I just couldn't get past its more consumer-ish road manners. I immediately missed the shorter throws, better bolstering, firmer damping and more focused steering/feedback. A trade-off with the Accord's more gown-up composure. The Accord still felt engaging, just a tad more removed from the experience. I especially felt the difference when pushing modestly through the corners.

My suggestion is go test drive another Si and Accord 2.0T back-to-back, and see if you notice a significant difference. It's a good time to buy an Accord. But the Si is still a heck of a performance bargain.

My 2 cents...

Deleted member

The Si is a driver's car and the Accord is a family sedan. The Accord being quick 0-60 doesn't really change that. The Accord is great for what it is but I wouldn't cross shop it with an Si. Focus ST, Golf GTI, and Miata would be alternatives in my eyes.

If you feel you will always think of the vandalism when you look at your car trade in for another Si.

You would probably get quite tired of having to answer the question of "What do you drive?" with "Accord" and then having to explain that it has the better engine so it's not the same as Grandma's Accord.

Last edited by a moderator:

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Do you not have insurance on the car? Just turn it in at the cost of your deductible

OP
OP
zroger73

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you not have insurance on the car? Just turn it in at the cost of your deductible
Of course, I do. It would be covered under comprehensive with a $50 deductible. However, there are a few reasons I won't make the claim on my insurance:

1) Even though I'm not at fault and I couldn't be cancelled due to this claim, it still shows up as a claim. Three comprehensive claims in 36-month period increases my deductible. To an insurance company, a claim is a claim. You think a person with 10 "not at fault' claims in one year won't pay higher rates? They're doing something to put themselves in that situation. Insurance companies consider this when setting rates.

2) Repairs paid by insurance can show up on Carfax and Autocheck. Dealers and private parties tend to take more advantage of this than they should.

3) Comprehensive insurance will cover the cost of repairs, but not diminution of value, loss of use, time off work, etc.

I choose to pay out of pocket and let the legal system take care of recovery.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Perhaps I'll get the Civic Si repaired and fall in love with it all over again, but for now it continues to be a thorn in my side. At this point, I'd rather see what the 2019 Civic Si offers or put another Accord in my garage for a while. The Civic Si's trade-in value is strong and it's a buyer's market for the Accord right now due to slow sales and excess inventory along with 1.9% financing.
@zroger73 man as much as I hate to see you sell the Si, I can’t imagine the flashbacks you go through when seeing it in the garage.

You were definitely one of the people that got me super hyped about this car, but I think you should try to recoup as much money and....just buy a Type R :p, I kid of course.

Such a tough decision for you and I really hope you will be able to move on from that nightmare. I still can’t believe how calm you were during the whole incident! You sir have ice in your veins! Thanks again for helping me find my Si and Good luck to you moving forward. Post pics of your new car if you do end up going that route!!

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
It's a car. Just drive it until the wheels falls off. If it's not totaled really you are just nit picking

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
No matter what you do, don't get the Accord Sport. You will regret it down the line, it is NOT an Si replacement. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence until you jump over and realize it isn't.

grumpyguy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry to hear this @zroger73!

You seem more than capable of making the best choice for yourself, and congrats on the new Accord should you choose to go that way.

However I will say that I am really bummed that you’ll be jumping ship on the Si, as you have always been such a strong advocate for it. You genuinely got me excited about the car, always provide awesome info, and seemed to enjoy the hell out of it.

If you do go the Accord route, just promise you won’t start trashing us! (Totally kidding, you don’t seem to be that type)

OP
OP
zroger73

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The Accord is great for what it is but I wouldn't cross shop it with an Si. Focus ST, Golf GTI, and Miata would be alternatives in my eyes.

You would probably get quite tired of having to answer the question of "What do you drive?" with "Accord" and then having to explain that it has the better engine so it's not the same as Grandma's Accord.
I'm not interested in anything outside of the Honda brand.

I knowingly and willing bought a brand new Buick Regal LS when I was 26 years old. I've also owned four Ridgelines in an area dominated by lifted Fords, Chevys, and Rams who look down (literally and figuratively) on Ridgelines. I obviously don't apologize for what I choose to drive. I buy what I like. If someone doesn't like what I drive, they're welcome to buy something for me. :)

It's a car. Just drive it until the wheels falls off. If it's not totaled really you are just nit picking
I typically don't keep a vehicle longer than a year or two with a couple of exceptions over the years. I've kept a couple as little as 90 days. If I wanted a damaged and repaired vehicle, I'd buy a used one and drive it until the wheels fell off, but I'm willing to pay the price for new vehicles often because they are...new and undamaged. Once one gets damaged, I can't "un-know" that fact and I no longer enjoy the vehicle. :(

No matter what you do, don't get the Accord Sport. You will regret it down the line, it is NOT an Si replacement. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence until you jump over and realize it isn't.
I don't expect the Accord Sport to replace or compete with the Civic Si. Like I say, I've made several posts on multiple forums including this one stating the differences and pointing out that the Si is clearly the better performance value. If I end up with an Accord Sport and don't like it then I'll get rid of it or get something else. :)

themaincop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan (SOLD), 2021 GTI Autobahn
Country flag
I definitely understand, I still sometimes wonder if I should've gotten the Accord Sport. They're both practical/fun cars, it just depends on where on the practical<->fun scale you want to land.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
I love the new accord but it’s power band sucks literally. Not something I would want. That’s the deal breaker for me. The car just falls on its face.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
^^On the Accord 1.5T, I've heard the same.

But I felt the 2.0T powertrain was quite good, even when mated to the 6MT. If anything, I feel the Si has more of a "dead spot" between shifts. Max out 2nd, shift to 3rd, nothing. Where the Accord's 2.0T pulled hard to around 6.5K, and had plenty in reserve when shifting down to 3K.

Granted, a simple tune overcomes just about all of the 1.5T's faults.
Sponsored