Connecting a large USB stick with tons of songs (it's super slow)

yopalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EXL
Country flag
I recently bought a 64GB (there's around 8000 songs on there) USB stick with the intention of filling it up with music to play in my car (2016 coupe exl). It works, but it is insanely slow. Upwards of 10 seconds between song switches, lags out my reverse and side camera, just unacceptable performance. Is this normal behavior and I'm stuck with a smaller stick with less songs, or is there something I'm missing?

All the songs are mp3 with 300x300 cover art embedded and sorted into folders by album.
Sponsored

finalnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What's the speed of the USB stick? Some are incredibly slow and some are incredibly fast.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Is this consistent?
It might just be the car indexing the massive library.

The car doesn't have USB 3.0 so you don't need a 3.0 drive, although they are cheaper/easier to find now.

Orrr you simply have too many songs lol.
8000 songs at 4 minutes each is ~22 DAYS of music. Unless you're driving to Chile I would suggest you just cut your library down lol

Rayve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 white Civic VTI-LX (Touring equivalent)
Country flag
Maybe you should try some performance tests with varying amounts of songs? I'd halve the amount - make a backup before you start on your pc - so you have 2000 songs. Still have the problem, try 1000, problem resolved try 1500. Keep trying until you find the 'sweet spot'. Or you could use a few different USB's sorted by genre and artist. People seemed to cope with having 20 songs on a cd so we should probably be able to cope with having the equivalent of 50 albums on a memory stick.

Another thing that might be worth trying is alternative naming / sub-folder nesting of the files. Sometimes directory structures effects reading / cataloging speed.

Videone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 MX-5 GT PRHT, 2018 Mazda 6 Signature, 2016 Civic Touring Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm using a 64GB drive with over 600 albums on it and no issues. The initial load is a bit slow...maybe 10 seconds or so, but after that, switching songs or albums is quick.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What bit rate? if you're encoding at 320kbps, try a 192 avg VBR or something. It could be that file size is causing the system to lag.

-Geralt

mathdydx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I recently bought a 64GB (there's around 8000 songs on there) USB stick with the intention of filling it up with music to play in my car (2016 coupe exl). It works, but it is insanely slow. Upwards of 10 seconds between song switches, lags out my reverse and side camera, just unacceptable performance. Is this normal behavior and I'm stuck with a smaller stick with less songs, or is there something I'm missing?

All the songs are mp3 with 300x300 cover art embedded and sorted into folders by album.
Try disabling the album art on the infotainment system. There was another thread about someone using an ipod that kept freezing during playback and this stopped once they preventing album covers from showing up. I know you have a USB drive, but it might be a similar solution. I use a 64 gb USB with about 5500 songs. I disabled album art when I bought the car and have not had any real issues (just the 10 second delay of it waiting to start the music after plugging in).

OP
OP

yopalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EXL
Country flag
Tried re-formatting, re-transferring, disabling album art, etc and got the same result. I just took an old 16GB drive and popped that in and it works as normal. Kind of annoying, but I'll live.

FYI, all files were VBR V0 encoded mp3 files with 300x300 album art embedded, all separated by album in folders. 622 folders/albums.

Baime

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mathdydx,
I haven't tried using a USB memory stick to play music in my car. I'm admitting ignorance about this, I didn't realize it was an option.
I have music downloaded into my smart android phone, and it seems to play fine in my Civic using a bluetooth connection, and Android play.

Is there an advantage to using the USB stick? Is it better resolution?

Thanks for your comments. JP

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag

The Honda head Unit is S - L - O - W .. but there are things you can do to help it ..

Kool you have 8000 songs, but that is not going to work well with the Civic Music Player, on a 64G USB stick. even assuming you have figure out a way to correctly formated it to FAT32 !!

You would do a lot better to have several smaller USB stick say 16 Gig each, and put your music on those.

The Honda Player has a limit of 700 folders MAX, and also a number of song limit.. so any in excess of those limits will just not show up.

Also, although the Honda's USB is 3.0, I have found that 3.0 sticks work significantly better than the older 3.0 ones.

Limit any artwork in the MP3 files to a small size, say 300x 300 max. They are never going to display that big on the screen in nay case. 200 x 200 might be even better.

Optimize the finished USB stick. Drivesort.exe
Check the Mp3s on the USB stick with a good mp3 file checker. and repair or dellete any that are corrupt. (Corrupt mp3 files will really mess up the player).

mathdydx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
The Honda head Unit is S - L - O - W .. but there are things you can do to help it ..

Kool you have 8000 songs, but that is not going to work well with the Civic Music Player, on a 64G USB stick. even assuming you have figure out a way to correctly formated it to FAT32 !!

You would do a lot better to have several smaller USB stick say 16 Gig each, and put your music on those.

The Honda Player has a limit of 700 folders MAX, and also a number of song limit.. so any in excess of those limits will just not show up.

Also, although the Honda's USB is 3.0, I have found that 3.0 sticks work significantly better than the older 3.0 ones.

Limit any artwork in the MP3 files to a small size, say 300x 300 max. They are never going to display that big on the screen in nay case. 200 x 200 might be even better.

Optimize the finished USB stick. Drivesort.exe
Check the Mp3s on the USB stick with a good mp3 file checker. and repair or dellete any that are corrupt. (Corrupt mp3 files will really mess up the player).
And to add on what SCOPESYS said, I would just not have any artwork to display because that's one more thing the slow-ass Honda system has to load and consequently slow down your songs.

mathdydx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Mathdydx,
I haven't tried using a USB memory stick to play music in my car. I'm admitting ignorance about this, I didn't realize it was an option.
I have music downloaded into my smart android phone, and it seems to play fine in my Civic using a bluetooth connection, and Android play.

Is there an advantage to using the USB stick? Is it better resolution?

Thanks for your comments. JP
Playing music through your phone is fine....it's just that I don't like to keep my phone plugged in the car when I'm driving if I don't really need to charge my phone's battery. So I rely on the USB stick instead. I could use bluetooth via my phone, but it doesn't always work well. At least with a USB, I have a stable connection.

Baime

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Playing music through your phone is fine....it's just that I don't like to keep my phone plugged in the car when I'm driving if I don't really need to charge my phone's battery. So I rely on the USB stick instead. I could use bluetooth via my phone, but it doesn't always work well. At least with a USB, I have a stable connection.
I will give it a try. Thanks for your comments. I just never thought about doing this
And to add on what SCOPESYS said, I would just not have any artwork to display because that's one more thing the slow-ass Honda system has to load and consequently slow down your songs.
How do you remove the artwork files?

Thanks again.
Sponsored