SadGamerGeek

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EP3 Type R
Hi,

I'm contemplating a new (or almost new) Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport or Sport Plus hatchback. I'd like a half decent stereo and I'm trying to understand how much of an upgrade the improved unit in the Sport Plus is over the standard. I'm a little concerned about some of the negative comments on the audio quality here, but most of them seem to relate to US cars, and there seems to be a difference in what's offered between the UK & US stereos. For instance, the US don't seem to get the option of the premium unit in the hatchback for some reason. Luckily we do in the UK, as we don't have a touring option now. Can anyone clarify the situation? Here's my findings for the audio options on the respective 1.5 Turbos:

US
LX / Sport - 160-Watt Audio System with 4 Speakers
EX / EX-L Navi - 180-Watt Audio System with 8 Speakers
Sport Touring - 540-Watt Premium Audio System with 12 Speakers, including Subwoofer

UK
Sport - 180 Watt Audio System with 8 Speakers
Sport Plus / Prestige - 465 Watt Audio system with 11 Speakers

References:
http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/civic-5-door/compare.html
https://hondanews.eu/gb/en/cars/media/pressreleases/103243/2017-honda-civic-press-pack
https://automobiles.honda.com/civic-hatchback

Does anyone know what the difference between the UK and US premium systems is? Does the UK option lose the sub? If I'm likely to want to do aftermarket upgrades, I guess there's no point paying the extra money for the Sport Plus (excepting the other differences).

Also, as a general audio question, do both USB sockets connect to the audio system? It would be nice to have a USB stick with all my music permanently plugged into one, and then my iPhone for podcasts/audiobooks via CarPlay plugged into the other when necessary.
Sponsored

Last edited:

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Probably imperial watts vs metric watts :p

Your best bet would likely be to drop into a UK dealership and check. Barring the wattage difference, the speakers in the US versions are:
2 x front doors + 2 x front tweeters
2 x rear doors + 2 x rear tweeters
2 x rear shelf speakers
1 x center channel on dash
1 x subwoofer

You can check which speakers are missing in the UK, if any. It might just be nomenclature.

As for the USB question, both ports played music in my Civic; I've never tried having both in, but based off what I know in the infotainment, there wasn't an option to switch between USB ports for source, so I assume one takes priority, always.

dewey79

First Name
Dewayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag

I run a pair of

Polk Audio DB6502 6.5 in the front

and

Infinity Reference ref-6522ix in the rear

off of the stock unit. The stock unit powers all four of the speakers with awesome clarity. I figured the unit should have decent power since it has two pairs of wires running to each speaker. I will say that it does not sound as good unless you enter developer mode and set the EQ curve to FLAT. Also, I soldered all my connections, at the speaker and crossovers which helps eliminate resistance, especially if a wire becomes loose. I have the EX model.

Last edited:

Exotzs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Touring Hatchback
I run a pair of

Polk Audio DB6502 6.5 in the front

and

Infinity Reference ref-6522ix in the rear

off of the stock unit. The stock unit powers all four of the speakers with awesome clarity. I figured the unit should have decent power since it has two pairs of wires running to each speaker. I will say that it does not sound as good unless you enter developer mode and set the EQ curve to FLAT. Also, I soldered all my connections, at the speaker and crossovers which helps eliminate resistance, especially if a wire becomes loose. I have the EX model.
Can you elaborate on the improvements of sound that you got? Like more mid bass or clarity?

dewey79

First Name
Dewayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Can you elaborate on the improvements of sound that you got? Like more mid bass or clarity?
The mid bass will only sound better when the EQ is set to flat. Also, the speakers need about a month to break in, then you will get mid bass with more clarity and detail than the the stock speakers. I switched back and forth between the stock speakers and the polk/infinity speakers and was able hear the huge difference in clarity and detail. The mid bass in the stock speakers did sound a little louder than the new speakers . However, after breaking in, the Polk and infinity speakers are producing far better mid bass better than the stock. At volume 15 it sounds superb and I have bass set flat. Over time, you will also notice more clarity in mid bass at lower volumes too. There is no distortion even when turned up to 22, but I have not turned it up past 22 because it is way louder at that volume than I would ever listen to music comfortably. Between a listening volume of 11 and 15 is my comfort listening volume. When my wife is in the car, she usually doesn't let me turn it up past 12.

I had a kicker hideaway sub woofer in my previous Honda with a pair of amplified infinity perfects. I loved the way it filled the low end. Of course the Polk DB and Infinity speakers can't produce base like it can, but I must say I don't feel like I have to install it to be happy with the sound. I am happy with the sound as it.

I must stress that these speakers will resist mid bass until they are broken in. The stock radio has enough power to break them in properly, I feel it helps to enter developer mode and set the EQ to FLAT. Full range will not sound all that great at first, but the sound will smooth out and still sound full. With the EQ curve on, it sounds good, but you will not get sufficient mid bass.

Last edited:

Exotzs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The mid bass will only sound better when the EQ is set to flat. Also, the speakers need about a month to break in, then you will get mid bass with more clarity and detail than the the stock speakers. I switched back and forth between the stock speakers and the polk/infinity speakers and was able hear the huge difference in clarity and detail. The mid bass in the stock speakers did sound a little louder than the new speakers . However, after breaking in, the Polk and infinity speakers are producing far better mid bass better than the stock. At volume 15 it sounds superb and I have bass set flat. Over time, you will also notice more clarity in mid bass at lower volumes too. There is no distortion even when turned up to 22, but I have not turned it up past 22 because it is way louder at that volume than I would ever listen to music comfortably. Between a listening volume of 11 and 15 is my comfort listening volume. When my wife is in the car, she usually doesn't let me turn it up past 12.

I had a kicker hideaway sub woofer in my previous Honda with a pair of amplified infinity perfects. I loved the way it filled the low end. Of course the Polk DB and Infinity speakers can't produce base like it can, but I must say I don't feel like I have to install it to be happy with the sound. I am happy with the sound as it
Gotcha, what did activating developer mode have to do with adjusting the equalizer? I always thought the equalizer was accessible without developer mode?

dewey79

First Name
Dewayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Gotcha, what did activating developer mode have to do with adjusting the equalizer? I always thought the equalizer was accessible without developer mode?
Check out this post, it takes you through the steps. There is a stock eq curve on that has nothing to do with the bass and treble settings you already have access to in the normal menu.

Step 1 - Go tot he diagnostics menu by holding Brightness, Power, and menu for a few seconds.
Step 2 - Tap Detail Information and Setting
Step 3 - Hold Menu to bring up the third menu
Step 4 - Hold menu again until a menu saying Factory Diag shows up
Step 5 - Select Syscom Free Mode
Step 6 - Use the onscreen buttons to navigate to the Fix-EQ option
Step 7 - Change the option to EQ OFF (FLAT)

https://www.civicx.com/threads/dsp-flat.3019/

Exotzs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check out this post, it takes you through the steps. There is a stock eq curve on that has nothing to do with the bass and treble settings you already have access to in the normal menu.

Step 1 - Go tot he diagnostics menu by holding Brightness, Power, and menu for a few seconds.
Step 2 - Tap Detail Information and Setting
Step 3 - Hold Menu to bring up the third menu
Step 4 - Hold menu again until a menu saying Factory Diag shows up
Step 5 - Select Syscom Free Mode
Step 6 - Use the onscreen buttons to navigate to the Fix-EQ option
Step 7 - Change the option to EQ OFF (FLAT)

https://www.civicx.com/threads/dsp-flat.3019/
Have you tried the "loud" EQ? I'll give this a shot now and report back to you

dewey79

First Name
Dewayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Have you tried the "loud" EQ? I'll give this a shot now and report back to you
I think I did when I first got the car, I don't remember it doing much of anything as far sound quality or clarity, by the way, the stock speakers do not handle the EQ being set to flat well, but you will notice the fullness of sound.

Exotzs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I did when I first got the car, I don't remember it doing much of anything as far sound quality or clarity, by the way, the stock speakers do not handle the EQ being set to flat well, but you will notice the fullness of sound.
So unfortunately, I guess on the touring civics, the DSP is always set to "Default". No options for flat here
Sponsored