18CarEnthusiast18

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Well crap I hate to hear it is normal as on a nice car like this when it does happen looks like crap... Glad to know nothing serious though for sure... I have a list of things for the dealer to look at when it goes for service. Glad I can take one thing off I suppose..

kcabbit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Civic LX | 2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
I've had condensation on my trunk taillights for two years now. I'm not sure if it's related to the condensation but the right side bulb just recently started to flicker and is really dim. I'll be taking it to the dealer this week before the warranty is up.

Honda Civic 10th gen Condensation in the taillight 20181122_175550

Mature Banana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
I just picked up a 2019. A buddy spotted condensation on both driver side rear tail light units this week. I live in southern VA and it was a warming day.

Honda Civic 10th gen Condensation in the taillight 42C32699-A4FA-4CE4-99E4-B841FA448604

Honda Civic 10th gen Condensation in the taillight B3D80C66-F869-4706-8C11-7E8EC090B5C7

Forgot to mention that the condensation went away fairly quickly after an hour or so.

Last edited:

BallisticSquid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback, 2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
So this is normal? It will go away? Or can/do i need to get the part replaced with one that doesnt do it?

15490446691427373116517103474732.jpg
Exact same thing occurred with mine when I had it serviced and they washed it. I took pix and showed it to them. They said it was normal. It did go away not long after.

The car was brand new and it was in service because the driver's side window wouldn't go back up. They replaced a channel. That car seemed to be cursed :).

P4Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R Sonic Gray, 2018 Honda Accord EX-l 2.0 Turbo, 2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 1965 GMC Pickup, 2009 KTM Enduro 690R
Same exact issue on my 2019 Type R. Both rear taillight assemblies. 2 days old. Sent a picture to the dealer and they ordered new taillight assemblies. Just a week ago!!!

Honda Civic 10th gen Condensation in the taillight 20190125_123425

Honda Civic 10th gen Condensation in the taillight 20190125_123415

OP
OP
02SilverSiHB

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Same exact issue on my 2019 Type R. Both rear taillight assemblies. 2 days old. Sent a picture to the dealer and they ordered new taillight assemblies. Just a week ago!!!

20190125_123425.jpg

20190125_123415.jpg
lol, so they didn't read the manual I guess

xdecemberguy

First Name
Randrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Condensation and fogging is normal.

19B4BE0A-B5E8-4EC1-81DC-B17ADC869681.jpeg
Moisture next to electrical hardware normal...I don't care what the service manual says..Can someone point out where the vent is on the taillights that this moisture is supposed to vent and why is the bulb sealed with an O-ring if it's normal..Moisture can cause short out lights, burned out bulbs, and corrosion. It doesn't sound logical. It sounds like something the automakers are making up to pass the bill later.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Moisture next to electrical hardware normal...I don't care what the service manual says..Can someone point out where the vent is on the taillights that this moisture is supposed to vent and why is the bulb sealed with an O-ring if it's normal..Moisture can cause short out lights, burned out bulbs, and corrosion. It doesn't sound logical. It sounds like something the automakers are making up to pass the bill later.

Dude. You live in Florida. If moisture and condensation was bad for electrical, then NO cars would work there for 3 quarters of the year!

Also, just think about what you are talking about. If the plastic light assemblies were fully sealed once the bulb was inserted, then anything that is trapped in there has nowhere to go. By having a place for it to normalize with the outside air, you eliminate the issues that come from disparate humidity/temperature conditions inside and outside the housing. This whole obsession is as wasted as people that think that you can actually get 100% nitrogen into your tires and still afford the service. (To say nothing of the fact that atmosphere is almost 80% nitrogen already, but I digress)

Stop stressing over something that has been part of automotive design for about 30 years now. You are NOT getting away from it unless you go buy some old piece of crap from WAY back when the norm was for a full sealed beam halogen glass bulb unit.

xdecemberguy

First Name
Randrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Dude. You live in Florida. If moisture and condensation was bad for electrical, then NO cars would work there for 3 quarters of the year!

Also, just think about what you are talking about. If the plastic light assemblies were fully sealed once the bulb was inserted, then anything that is trapped in there has nowhere to go. By having a place for it to normalize with the outside air, you eliminate the issues that come from disparate humidity/temperature conditions inside and outside the housing. This whole obsession is as wasted as people that think that you can actually get 100% nitrogen into your tires and still afford the service. (To say nothing of the fact that atmosphere is almost 80% nitrogen already, but I digress)

Stop stressing over something that has been part of automotive design for about 30 years now. You are NOT getting away from it unless you go buy some old piece of crap from WAY back when the norm was for a full sealed beam halogen glass bulb unit.

Your right I have lived in Florida for over 30yrs and I have never had condensation in my front or back tail lights and I've owned numerous cars from Fords, Audi's, Honda's, and Acuras. Numerous hurricanes and pouring rain. To me it just seems like B.S. from the dealerships. Show me the vent port on the back of the light assembly. Also, I don't know that much about electrical but I know electric and water don't mix. Learned that from cartoons at a young age. Moisture and condensation is bad for electrical...LMAO
Sponsored