Condensation in Drivers Front Headlight Civic Coupe EX-T

TrapSquadYeet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Lancer GT (Totaled from Natural Disaster)
The title pretty much explains it all.
I was at a self car wash cleaning and after I was done I noticed condensation in my front headlights and also in my rear tail lights.

I searched the forum and found a thread about condensation in the rear tail lights and supposedly it's normal, just don't get it to the point where it drips.

I opened the hood and my friend and I noticed there's a very slight opening on both headlights and assuming that's how some of the water got in there. I'm currently at work so once I get home I'll take more pictures of the slight opening.

Can the dealership fix this? If so, how? Because I don't want to fix it myself then mess up and bring it to the dealership and they tell me they can't do anything about it because I messed with it causing it to condensate.

Honda Civic 10th gen Condensation in Drivers Front Headlight Civic Coupe EX-T ima
Sponsored

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The title pretty much explains it all.
I was at a self car wash cleaning and after I was done I noticed condensation in my front headlights and also in my rear tail lights.

I searched the forum and found a thread about condensation in the rear tail lights and supposedly it's normal, just don't get it to the point where it drips.

I opened the hood and my friend and I noticed there's a very slight opening on both headlights and assuming that's how some of the water got in there. I'm currently at work so once I get home I'll take more pictures of the slight opening.

Can the dealership fix this? If so, how? Because I don't want to fix it myself then mess up and bring it to the dealership and they tell me they can't do anything about it because I messed with it causing it to condensate.

image.jpeg
Take it to the dealer, buddy.
agreed! I would definitely take it back, they should be able to swap it out no problem

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
The opening is supposed to help get rid of condensation.

If you have hot humid air (inside the headlight) and it's cold outside, there will be condensation; the opening is akin to opening a window - it normalizes temperature.

That said, if you already have condensation, the best thing to do is just dry it out. You can leave a small pack of silica gel and itll suck the moisture right now.

Or, as others have suggested, it's a brand new car - let the dealer worry about it. As to which is a bigger hassle, I donno.

But this is a common occurence on many, many cars, new or old.

Rush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EXT
Country flag
Most headlight units are vented. And small holes are there to equalize pressure between the inside and outside of the unit. So if you have a hot headlight from the sun or being on and then run the vehicle trough a car wash or spray cool water on the light that warm moist air cools quickly and sheds a bit of it's moisture, since cool air cannot hold as much moisture as warm, and you will see tiny, tiny, condensation droplets. If you see droplets bigger than, say a 1/16 of an inch, then you have a seal problem. The condensation from temperature change will disappear quickly although cool evenings may cause this too and it could linger for a bit longer. Just physics.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I've only seen this on the older cars I've had, don't remember any of the new ones doing it. I had a headlight on my mustang that was bad about doing this. After I took it out, resealed the lens, it was fine. I know if the condensation repeatedly sets in there for to long, it will permanently"fog" the inside of the lense. But that takes a long time.

RockyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Optima SXL, 2015 Honda CRV EX, 2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2003 Lancer Evolution
only car that ever fogged up on me was a 1997 Civic HX. Dealer changed out both headlights under warranty and that was the end of the story.

RuLEoF2

Liberty or Death!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Coupe EX-T
Country flag
My wife's 2016 coupe EX-T is almost a month old. The right rear tail light gets patches of fog in the lower left corner. I noticed it while drying it off after a wash at home.

We took it to the dealer and they said that they replaced the assembly but the new one does it too. The left assembly and the headlights are fine. We took it back and this time they did nothing saying that it's normal and that as long as there's no drops or puddles don't worry about it.

OP
OP

TrapSquadYeet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Lancer GT (Totaled from Natural Disaster)
My wife's 2016 coupe EX-T is almost a month old. The right rear tail light gets patches of fog in the lower left corner. I noticed it while drying it off after a wash at home.

We took it to the dealer and they said that they replaced the assembly but the new one does it too. The left assembly and the headlights are fine. We took it back and this time they did nothing saying that it's normal and that as long as there's no drops or puddles don't worry about it.
Yeah same with my rear tail lights. They fog up here and there but from what I researched its normal.

RuLEoF2

Liberty or Death!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Coupe EX-T
Country flag
So, I decided to call Honda of America yesterday to ask them what they think about this "normal" tail light condensation on my wife's car. Basically, they took a detailed report and gave me a case number. They said that they were assigning someone to investigate and that person would be getting in touch with me.

Nothing yet. I'll keep you posted.

89AKurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T, 1969 Chevrolet C-10 pickup
Country flag
This is nothing. My brother had BMW 328, the taillight was half full of water!

RuLEoF2

Liberty or Death!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Coupe EX-T
Country flag
I wouldn't be able to help myself. I'd have to put some plastic goldfish in there.

SonicTyphoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Bumping an old thread but seeing this in both of my headlights in a week old Hatch.

What are the odds of it happening to both headlights? Anyone else seeing any issues on newer models? Going to take mine in if it doesn't go away.

Honda Civic 10th gen Condensation in Drivers Front Headlight Civic Coupe EX-T IMG_1350.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Condensation in Drivers Front Headlight Civic Coupe EX-T IMG_1353.JPG

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Bumping an old thread but seeing this in both of my headlights in a week old Hatch.

What are the odds of it happening to both headlights? Anyone else seeing any issues on newer models? Going to take mine in if it doesn't go away.

IMG_1350.JPG

IMG_1353.JPG
If it doesnt go away in a week you might need to change the blinker fluid

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If it doesnt go away in a week you might need to change the blinker fluid
I highly recommend the Valvoline, goes for $7 at Walmart, cheaper than the dealer's markup (its a $60 service, jeez Honda...)

Any type will do, just don't get one marketed for BMWs.

Honda Civic 10th gen Condensation in Drivers Front Headlight Civic Coupe EX-T plxgtuo-55bf1ec108cf9
Sponsored