Comprehensive Hatch Spoiler List

Augenauf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Haven’t really seen this one around. It’s like a hybrid of a few different ones.

IMG_1418.jpeg

IMG_1419.jpeg
looks great, but can't help but wonder how much of an impact it'd be on visibility

Flyingraptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5T M/T Sport Plus, Honda CR-Z M/T
Country flag
I recently went ahead and bought a tail spoiler on Aliexpress. I opted for a replica of the Type R Sportline spoiler. Finding the right model on Aliexpress is a bit tricky, since there seem to be several types of spoilers that very much look alike.

The previously mentioned MC-3 model - which can be found under that name both on Aliexpress/Amazon/Ebay - is very similar to the Type R Sportline model, but is not a 100% match. The MC-1 and MC-2 are again kind of similar, but even further off from the shape of the Type R Sportline model.

However, Type R Sportline replica's are also sold on Aliexpress (no idea though whether they are available on Ebay/Amazon). I went with this one. The reason for opting for that one is that: (1) after comparing a lot of photo's it did appear as a 100% look-a-like of the Type R Sportline, and (2) it provides the option for a painted spoiler (handy since I wanted a spoiler in Rally Red). However, all of these were just assumptions prior to arrival of the spoiler. Note that the seller confirmed to me that the "Glossy Red" paint is a match for Honda's Rally Red.

The Good News:
  1. The spoiler indeed appears to be a 100% look-a-like of the Honda Type R Sportline spoiler
  2. It is way cheaper than OEM
  3. Overall, it looks good and fits perfect (test fit only so far)
The Bad News:
  1. The paintwork is far from perfect. The red paint does not 100% match Honda's Rally Red (even though the seller confirmed to me that it would). However, I am unsure whether this is due to an actual difference in colour, or rather due to the too few paint layers. The paint appears quite thin and the black colour of the underlying plastic shines through the paint, making the colour to appear darker.
  2. The spoiler was packed suboptimal. Thin layer of bubble wrap, and loose in a cardboard box. Luckily it survived the journey 99.9% undamaged.
  3. I am unsure about the provided mounting tape. I will go for other (better?) 3M tape. I used VHB 3M tape before to mount a spoiler on my Honda CR-Z, without any issues.
In conclusion: Good alternative for the OEM Type R Sportline spoiler, but keep in mind that you cannot be 100% sure of the paint job.

Some photos of a test fit:
Honda Civic 10th gen Comprehensive Hatch Spoiler List Combo_horizontal

Honda Civic 10th gen Comprehensive Hatch Spoiler List Combo_vertical

Some photos of the paint issues:

Honda Civic 10th gen Comprehensive Hatch Spoiler List Combo_1

Honda Civic 10th gen Comprehensive Hatch Spoiler List Combo_2

yhkwok

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Galant ES 2.4, 18 Sienna XLE (FWD), 18 FK7 ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I recently went ahead and bought a tail spoiler on Aliexpress. I opted for a replica of the Type R Sportline spoiler. Finding the right model on Aliexpress is a bit tricky, since there seem to be several types of spoilers that very much look alike.

The previously mentioned MC-3 model - which can be found under that name both on Aliexpress/Amazon/Ebay - is very similar to the Type R Sportline model, but is not a 100% match. The MC-1 and MC-2 are again kind of similar, but even further off from the shape of the Type R Sportline model.

However, Type R Sportline replica's are also sold on Aliexpress (no idea though whether they are available on Ebay/Amazon). I went with this one. The reason for opting for that one is that: (1) after comparing a lot of photo's it did appear as a 100% look-a-like of the Type R Sportline, and (2) it provides the option for a painted spoiler (handy since I wanted a spoiler in Rally Red). However, all of these were just assumptions prior to arrival of the spoiler. Note that the seller confirmed to me that the "Glossy Red" paint is a match for Honda's Rally Red.

The Good News:
  1. The spoiler indeed appears to be a 100% look-a-like of the Honda Type R Sportline spoiler
  2. It is way cheaper than OEM
  3. Overall, it looks good and fits perfect (test fit only so far)
The Bad News:
  1. The paintwork is far from perfect. The red paint does not 100% match Honda's Rally Red (even though the seller confirmed to me that it would). However, I am unsure whether this is due to an actual difference in colour, or rather due to the too few paint layers. The paint appears quite thin and the black colour of the underlying plastic shines through the paint, making the colour to appear darker.
  2. The spoiler was packed suboptimal. Thin layer of bubble wrap, and loose in a cardboard box. Luckily it survived the journey 99.9% undamaged.
  3. I am unsure about the provided mounting tape. I will go for other (better?) 3M tape. I used VHB 3M tape before to mount a spoiler on my Honda CR-Z, without any issues.
In conclusion: Good alternative for the OEM Type R Sportline spoiler, but keep in mind that you cannot be 100% sure of the paint job.

Some photos of a test fit:
Combo_horizontaljpg.jpg

Combo_vertical.jpg

Some photos of the paint issues:

Combo_1.jpg

Combo_2.jpg
I got mine from an online store (American Modified) like 1.5 years ago, just like yours, except they don't offer anything other than glossy black. My project got delayed and now I don't have my half-finished spoiler with me, but my goal is to paint it Orchid White Pearl (NH788P), with the base painted in Berlina Black (NH547), just like how the Sportline spoiler should be :) If you're going to refinish yours, I highly recommend you to paint the base black too.

RaoulDuke

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic sport cvt
Country flag
Has anyone seen or heard about a fk7 roof duckbill spoiler coming to / on the market?

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
There are already 4 or 5 options. Being most items are probably being released for 11th gen. You’re going to have to go with what’s out there. HFP, Mugen, spoon, Type R, aftermarket china.

RaoulDuke

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic sport cvt
Country flag
Do you have links? I have tried to scour through to find a hatchback roof wing duck bill and I have not had any luck. I can find the lower window break duckbills all day.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
You know the hatchback (which this thread is about) already has a factory spoiler. There are no options for a duckbill on top of the factory one. All options are removal and simple replacement.

If you are talking about the glass right below the factory spoiler. Any generic universal spoiler will be fine and you can find that one for under $50 pretty much everywhere.

There is no duckbill option in red like in the picture. And honestly why would you want to. It would look like garbage.

Honda Civic 10th gen Comprehensive Hatch Spoiler List IMG_2441

drbob123

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Ok, I did it. I bought that new AliExpress one. I've just always wanted a proper spoiler for the civic hatchback that wasn't a Type R replica or a duckbill, and this one just looked too good. Not too sporty, but not too subtle either. It arrived within a few weeks of ordering and it looks great in person. Paint and everything seemed to be applied well, no damage. Looks OEM!

The thing that threw me off is I was expecting it to have drill holes like the Type R replica wings, but it's all adhesion. I was freaking out thinking this can't be right, but then I applied the adhesive pads provided and sure enough, that is the strongest adhesive pads I have ever used. It is rock solid in place, even on the highway, no wobble or anything. And visibility out the rearview is better than I expected. When looking at the mirror, it kinda sits above where the cars are in my view, so it doesn't block anything unless there's maybe a super tall truck behind me or something. Better visibility than the duckbill-type spoiler I had previously.

Interestingly, it does have two little holes that look like they'd line up where the Type R wing would go, so I guess if you really wanted to, you could probably drill a screw in there somehow for extra peace of mind. But I was pleasantly surprised with how it applied. I realized quickly I would NOT get a second chance at shifting the position. Once that thing is in place, it's not moving, so I highly recommend having someone help hold it while you line it up.

Overall I'm very happy with it! Here are some pics of it installed:
Honda Civic 10th gen Comprehensive Hatch Spoiler List IMG_9974.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Comprehensive Hatch Spoiler List IMG_9977.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Comprehensive Hatch Spoiler List IMG_9973.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Comprehensive Hatch Spoiler List IMG_9968.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Comprehensive Hatch Spoiler List IMG_9978.JPG

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
Ok, I did it. I bought that new AliExpress one. I've just always wanted a proper spoiler for the civic hatchback that wasn't a Type R replica or a duckbill, and this one just looked too good. Not too sporty, but not too subtle either. It arrived within a few weeks of ordering and it looks great in person. Paint and everything seemed to be applied well, no damage. Looks OEM!

The thing that threw me off is I was expecting it to have drill holes like the Type R replica wings, but it's all adhesion. I was freaking out thinking this can't be right, but then I applied the adhesive pads provided and sure enough, that is the strongest adhesive pads I have ever used. It is rock solid in place, even on the highway, no wobble or anything. And visibility out the rearview is better than I expected. When looking at the mirror, it kinda sits above where the cars are in my view, so it doesn't block anything unless there's maybe a super tall truck behind me or something. Better visibility than the duckbill-type spoiler I had previously.

Interestingly, it does have two little holes that look like they'd line up where the Type R wing would go, so I guess if you really wanted to, you could probably drill a screw in there somehow for extra peace of mind. But I was pleasantly surprised with how it applied. I realized quickly I would NOT get a second chance at shifting the position. Once that thing is in place, it's not moving, so I highly recommend having someone help hold it while you line it up.

Overall I'm very happy with it! Here are some pics of it installed:
IMG_9974.JPG
IMG_9977.JPG
IMG_9973.JPG
That actually looks really good on there. It's a bit more subtle than the FK8 style wing and I could be tempted.

Id definitely add some screws/bolts though. You may find that the glue will harden and go off a little ofter a few heat/cold cycles. I'd maybe put some rivnuts in it, ideally where the OEM fixings would be.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dang it.... They need SGP then I'm in... My current ebay spoiler is black, but I'd love a color matched one.