www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2001 Integra Type R, 2019 RDX A-Spec
Country flag
My apologies for the delay in this post, but I was indeed giving the manufacturer the benefit of the doubt in regards to the rather lackluster performance the car exhibited on the dyno.

The turbocharger on Franco's car is a 6+6 compressor wheel unit that Comp is marketing as substantial flow upgrade over the stock unit. In testing on both 91oct and ethanol blended fuel, the turbocharger was slow to spool (peak torque was reached at 4,400rpm), but it consistently made less power at the same boost pressure as the Vit-developed 11-blade compressor wheel turbo that Dave here has.

At 28psi, the 6+6 unit made 285hp and just under 300tq on the ethanol blend. Dave's 11-blade unit made almost 20whp more at the same boost pressure, and responded much faster in testing. The peak power did carry better than most stock turbo cars I've worked with, but the trade off for the midrange/response loss essentially makes the gains up there a wash.

When confronted about the poor response and lower flow rate, Comp turbo insisted that the results @VitViper shared in December were from their 6+6 compressor wheel, and that's what they were basing all their "testing" on. The truth is that they have zero real world data regarding this turbocharger. It was reported to me via Vit that the 6+6 wheels not only underperformed in his initial testing, but they also led to broken shafts (broken shaft = game over for the turbo), hence the reason why the only turbo that ever worked and went on to live a life was the 11-blade compressor turbo that Dave now owns (and we saw very similar results with on the dyno).

Comp then responded to me, claiming that Vit was lying, and not them. If Vit was lying, why did the 11-blade compressor perform as expected?

I did not want to get to this point, but Comp is essentially unwilling to admit that they are selling an untested (by them) turbocharger that offers marginal benefits for the laziness of the turbo.

I expect the base model upgraded turbochargers to respond slightly quicker, but they will be crippled by exhaust pressure that's astronomical.

My professional recommendation currently is the 27Won turbo if you want a stock frame replacement that works well. There are a few other companies that I see have started bringing stock frame turbo's to the market, but I haven't had a chance to deal with them yet (Pure Turbos is one I'm interested in seeing in person on my dyno).
Sponsored

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My apologies for the delay in this post, but I was indeed giving the manufacturer the benefit of the doubt in regards to the rather lackluster performance the car exhibited on the dyno.

The turbocharger on Franco's car is a 6+6 compressor wheel unit that Comp is marketing as substantial flow upgrade over the stock unit. In testing on both 91oct and ethanol blended fuel, the turbocharger was slow to spool (peak torque was reached at 4,400rpm), but it consistently made less power at the same boost pressure as the Vit-developed 11-blade compressor wheel turbo that Dave here has.

At 28psi, the 6+6 unit made 285hp and just under 300tq on the ethanol blend. Dave's 11-blade unit made almost 20whp more at the same boost pressure, and responded much faster in testing. The peak power did carry better than most stock turbo cars I've worked with, but the trade off for the midrange/response loss essentially makes the gains up there a wash.

When confronted about the poor response and lower flow rate, Comp turbo insisted that the results @VitViper shared in December were from their 6+6 compressor wheel, and that's what they were basing all their "testing" on. The truth is that they have zero real world data regarding this turbocharger. It was reported to me via Vit that the 6+6 wheels not only underperformed in his initial testing, but they also led to broken shafts (broken shaft = game over for the turbo), hence the reason why the only turbo that ever worked and went on to live a life was the 11-blade compressor turbo that Dave now owns (and we saw very similar results with on the dyno).

Comp then responded to me, claiming that Vit was lying, and not them. If Vit was lying, why did the 11-blade compressor perform as expected?

I did not want to get to this point, but Comp is essentially unwilling to admit that they are selling an untested (by them) turbocharger that offers marginal benefits for the laziness of the turbo.

I expect the base model upgraded turbochargers to respond slightly quicker, but they will be crippled by exhaust pressure that's astronomical.

My professional recommendation currently is the 27Won turbo if you want a stock frame replacement that works well. There are a few other companies that I see have started bringing stock frame turbo's to the market, but I haven't had a chance to deal with them yet (Pure Turbos is one I'm interested in seeing in person on my dyno).
Thanks Derek for the professionalism exhibited on your part.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Thanks for taking the time to share the results with us.

Honda Civic 10th gen Comp Turbo Wheel Upgrades giphy (15)

infiniteraiders

First Name
Taji
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the write up @D-RobIMW. Can you expand on "but they will be crippled by exhaust pressure that's astronomical" since I have the base turbo?

I don't plan to push that much PSI, especially on the base model, in that case, would I be okay with this upgrade? I've emailed you about the 27WON but as you can imagine, this is getting expensive and would prefer to save the extra bucks right now, if possible.

ThatDustyFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1 Si
Country flag
So have we seen any results regarding the 27WON turbo then? What type of power does it make, what's the powerband like, how's the transient response, etc.? Forgive me if it's already been posted somewhere and I'm just blind.

OP
OP
LilToTo17

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I'll be waiting for PRL's soon to be talked about drop in turbo lol ;):bow:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

OP
OP
LilToTo17

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

ddood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 VTI-LX
Country flag
Thanks for finally sharing @D-RobIMW and @francomakou. Good that you allowed CompTurbo the opportunity to address the issue but it seems that no amount of time could have "fixed" this.

I suppose the question I would have is what of the 11-blade Vit one? Seems that's the one to get but Vit probably has the IP rights for it so it's a no go? Maybe I have answered my own question but would be nice for someone in the know to confirm?

l15b7allturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Thanks for finally sharing @D-RobIMW and @francomakou. Good that you allowed CompTurbo the opportunity to address the issue but it seems that no amount of time could have "fixed" this.

I suppose the question I would have is what of the 11-blade Vit one? Seems that's the one to get but Vit probably has the IP rights for it so it's a no go? Maybe I have answered my own question but would be nice for someone in the know to confirm?
You can't have the 11 blade since it's vits wheel. I tried to get it... They told me the 6x6 performed better.. which was the opposite

OP
OP
LilToTo17

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It is not in the works. Just because it was talked about does not indicate that it will happen
Did you ask them? I have a source that says otherwise
Sponsored