Comfort and Convenience Overview for 2016 Honda Civic Sedan

HondaGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Here's an official breakdown on the long list of interior features and how some of them work.

Overview

The new Civic brings an elevated level of comfort and convenience to an affordable, compact-class car, with numerous Civic firsts and standard or optional premium features typically found in more expensive vehicles. From the convenience of available Smart Entry and Pushbutton Start/Stop to the ease of use of the new electric parking brake and Hill Start Assist, the Civic offers useful technologies that make driving easier and more convenient.

Key Comfort and Convenience Features
  • Smart Entry and Push Button Start (available)
  • Remote Engine Start* (available)
  • Hill Start Assist
  • Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror (available)
  • Driver Preference Settings* (available)
  • Capless Fueling System*
  • Electric Parking Brake*
* First for Civic
^ First for Honda

Smart Entry and Push Button Start/Stop
The 2016 Civic offers the upscale convenience of Smart Entry and Push Button Start/Stop.

Remote Keyless Entry
Remote keyless entry is standard equipment on all Civic models. The wave key design (LX trim) has an integrated transmitter in the handle with lock, unlock, trunk open and panic buttons.

Smart Entry
Smart Entry also allows the driver to approach, open and use the trunk without using a key or pressing a button on the remote. With the remote in his or her possession, the driver simply presses the release button and opens the trunk. As a safety and convenience feature, the Smart Entry system will not allow the transmitter fob to be locked in the interior of the Civic.

Push Button Start/StopOn the Civic EX and above, once the driver has opened the door and is seated, the driver simply pushes the START/STOP button positioned on the instrument panel while pressing the brake pedal to start the vehicle. Powertrain operation and certain electrical functions are ended when the START/STOP button is pressed again at the conclusion of the drive. For accessory mode, the driver simply presses the START/STOP button without pressing the brake pedal. The new Civic's START/STOP button features a pulsating light to help the driver more easily locate the button.

Honda Civic 10th gen Comfort and Convenience Overview for 2016 Honda Civic Sedan hondacivic-pushbuttonstart

Remote Engine Start

Civic EX trims and above feature standard remote engine start. This enables drivers to start their Civic in advance of the drive, thereby activating the climate control system with a target temperature of 72 degrees before they get to the vehicle – particularly helpful in extreme hot- or cold-weather conditions. The system will automatically operate the heater, front and rear defrosters, front heated seats (if equipped), heated side mirror, and air conditioning as needed.

Honda Civic 10th gen Comfort and Convenience Overview for 2016 Honda Civic Sedan hondacivic-remotestart

The remote engine start feature is built into the key fob supplied with the vehicle. To start the engine remotely, the owner presses the LOCK button and then holds the ENGINE button for a second. The Civic's hazard lights will flash, indicating that the signal has been received. When the engine is started remotely, the wipers, lighting and audio systems remain off, and the security system remains set. The engine will run for up to 10 minutes after remote starting and can be extended by another 10 minutes using the same procedure, and then shut off automatically if the owner doesn't reach the vehicle within that time. When the owner does get to the Civic within 10 minutes, or extended period if the procedure is initiated a second time, the engine will keep running while the owner unlocks the vehicle, gets in, applies the brake and presses the Civic's START button, which turns on all of the vehicle's systems.

Driver Preferences

The Civic EX and above trims come with two keyless remotes with unique identifiers. Each remote can be set with unique profiles to accommodate the individual preferences of two different drivers. The available preferences include driver seat and mirror positions. Other preferences include audio system pre-sets, air conditioning preferences, and navigation system settings. In the event both owners use the car at the same time, the Civic will recognize the keyless remote that approaches the driver's door first.

Locking

After parking, a press of the LOCK button on the remote will simultaneously lock all the doors and trunk. On EX and above trims a touch of the soft-touch lock button on either front door handle locks all doors and trunk to secure the Civic. The system will not allow the remote to be locked in the interior of the Civic.

Walk Away Door Lock

Included on EX and above trims, the new Walk Away Door Lock feature automatically locks the Civic when the driver leaves the vehicle. This hands-free locking capability adds everyday convenience that's especially useful when the driver has his or her hands full or is distracted. In typical use, when all doors are closed and the driver walks away, the Civic will automatically lock when the key holder's distance from the vehicle exceeds 6.5 feet for two seconds or more and when no other key is detected inside the vehicle. An audible buzzer sounds and the hazard lights flash to confirm that the vehicle has locked. The Walk Away Door Lock feature is programmable, and may be turned on or off as the driver prefers.

Auto On/Off Headlights

All Civic models feature auto-on/off headlights for greater convenience. The headlights are multi-reflector/projector-beam units on all Civic models except the Touring, which has auto-on/off LED headlights. All Civic models feature dramatic LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL).

Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror

A Civic first, the EX-L and Touring Sedan models feature an electrochromic interior rearview mirror that automatically dims during nighttime driving to reduce glare from the headlights of following vehicles.

Capless Fueling System

Capless fueling eliminates the fuel cap, meaning that fueling the vehicle simply requires opening the fuel lid, refueling, and then closing the lid. This smart and easy-to-use design eliminates the need to touch a dirty fuel cap, reduces the possibility of damaging the vehicle's paint with the fuel cap or tether, or forgetting the fuel cap at the gas station. It also eliminates the possibility of activating an emissions warning by failing to properly re-install the fuel cap. And finally, the capless fueling system allows the use of a smaller fuel-cap door, which cleans up the lines of the vehicle.

Honda Civic 10th gen Comfort and Convenience Overview for 2016 Honda Civic Sedan hondacivic-caplessfuel

The system consists of two integrated components, an outer shutter mechanism that prevents the intrusion of dirt and dust, and a self-sealing fueling flap that is closed by a torsion spring. Both operate automatically.

At a gas station, the driver simply pushes the fuel lid to release it and then inserts the fuel nozzle. Inserting the nozzle automatically opens the outer shutter and fueling flap. When fueling is complete, removing the fuel nozzle automatically closes both the fueling flap and outer shutter.

Electric Parking Brake (EPB)

The Civic's Electric Parking Brake makes using the parking brake easier and more comfortable and frees up precious center console space for storage and other functions.

Hill Start Assist

The Hill Start Assist function helps to prevent the vehicle from rolling backwards when the driver switches from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal while the vehicle is stopped on a hill.

10thG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Some cool stuff on this list. My favorite are the Walk Away Door Lock and the Capless Fueling System. These make so much sense I'm surprised we haven't seen them on more cars earlier.

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Believe the feature is actually 'brake hold'. Yes this does act as a hill assist but it is much more. I have this on our HRV EXL and now consider it as a gift from the auto gods. Don't need to keep my foot on the brake at traffic lights or in stop and go traffic. Just like cruise control it lets you rest that right foot but at stops.

Last edited:

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Touring trim comes with adaptive cruise control that works all the way down to zero. If you have your ACC on with your brake hold engaged, in theory you won't have to ever touch your brakes in stop and go traffic.

Last edited:

OP
OP
HondaGeek

HondaGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Some cool stuff on this list. My favorite are the Walk Away Door Lock and the Capless Fueling System. These make so much sense I'm surprised we haven't seen them on more cars earlier.
Walk Away Lock is really. This is something that I believe Honda is a first on. I was at Lexus less than two years ago and none of their models offered this.

OP
OP
HondaGeek

HondaGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
The Touring trim comes with adaptive cruise control that works all the way down to zero. If you have your ACR on with your brake hold engaged, in theory you won't have to ever touch your brakes in stop and go traffic.
Indeed, the new Civic has a more advance ACC than the new Pilot and CRV. Craziness!

Alaa Batata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord
daaaamnn!! good stuff. I wont worry about warming up the car anymore in winter, Just sitting there for 10 min freezing to death lol. I'm honestly SOOO Excitedd.

yoyoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 civic ex-l
Wow I'm surprised the EX will get remote car starting. I thought for sure they'd hold that back. The value on that model is insane considering the price drop.

tomljc2016

Honda Exterior Designer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Solara 2004
"Driver Preferences
The Civic EX and above trims come with two keyless remotes with unique identifiers. Each remote can be set with unique profiles to accommodate the individual preferences of two different drivers. The available preferences include driver seat and mirror positions. Other preferences include audio system pre-sets, air conditioning preferences, and navigation system settings. In the event both owners use the car at the same time, the Civic will recognize the keyless remote that approaches the driver's door first."

WOWWWWWWWWWWWW IS THIS FOR REAL?! Insane! It remembers you preference positions by identifying who is using the car!

Cheval

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Acura
At a gas station, the driver simply pushes the fuel lid to release it and then inserts the fuel nozzle. Inserting the nozzle automatically opens the outer shutter and fueling flap. When fueling is complete, removing the fuel nozzle automatically closes both the fueling flap and outer shutter.
Someone PLEASE tell me I'm missing something regarding the fuel filler door???????

WTF? So there's no locking fuel filler door anymore?? Anyone can just press on the door and it opens? And of course there's no way to put a locking gas cap on. The pilot has the cappless fueling system and has a release from inside like how it should be. The previous generation Civic has the door locking with release from inside, as does the 2012 Accord and 2008 TL that I own. I don't think I'd ever buy a car that has no way of locking access to the gas tank. A friend of mine some years back someone jerked off with his gas tank (it didn't lock...just that little groove you stick your finger in and the cover opens) and put sugar into the gastank (who the hell does that???)

I'm hoping I just suck at reading and it has the usual little lever that opens the door from the inside. Otherwise looks like we found another cost-cutting measure!

Tegster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Integra (Tafetta White)
Someone PLEASE tell me I'm missing something regarding the fuel filler door???????

WTF? So there's no locking fuel filler door anymore?? Anyone can just press on the door and it opens? And of course there's no way to put a locking gas cap on. The pilot has the cappless fueling system and has a release from inside like how it should be. The previous generation Civic has the door locking with release from inside, as does the 2012 Accord and 2008 TL that I own. I don't think I'd ever buy a car that has no way of locking access to the gas tank. A friend of mine some years back someone jerked off with his gas tank (it didn't lock...just that little groove you stick your finger in and the cover opens) and put sugar into the gastank (who the hell does that???)

I'm hoping I just suck at reading and it has the usual little lever that opens the door from the inside. Otherwise looks like we found another cost-cutting measure!
Lots of European cars don't have a fuel filler door that's operated by a release lever/button. BMW and Porsche for example you just get out of the car and press the fuel door. When the car is locked, the fuel door is also locked. Don't see the need for a release button inside the car if it can only be pressed open when the car is unlocked.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
There's button that opens the trunk in the door but the lever on the floor is gone now... But it shouldn't be an issue because you can't just siphon out the gas regularly. There should be a piece of plastic that will fit into the capless filler in case you run out of fuel and have to bring a jerry can. Only that plastic fits in it. I worked at a Chrysler Jeep dealer and all the Grand Cherokees are like that. That SUV ain't cheap btw...

Cheval

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Acura
Lots of European cars don't have a fuel filler door that's operated by a release lever/button. BMW and Porsche for example you just get out of the car and press the fuel door. When the car is locked, the fuel door is also locked. Don't see the need for a release button inside the car if it can only be pressed open when the car is unlocked.
If that's how it is then I don't have a problem with that. Although I'm not sure if you're saying that's how those European models are or are you saying that's how the Civic is, too, in addition to those European models?

Tegster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Integra (Tafetta White)
If that's how it is then I don't have a problem with that. Although I'm not sure if you're saying that's how those European models are or are you saying that's how the Civic is, too, in addition to those European models?
I was just saying if the Civic had no release button then it would probably work just like the European cars do. But @Newflyer3 says there's a button in the door that opens the fuel door, so disregard what I said hah.
Sponsored