First Name
Jesus Hernandez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hello everyone!

I want to share my current car experience and hope it helps anyone else that has the same issue.
I currently purchased a Certified-Used 2016 Honda Civic EX-T, a month later my wife was driving from work and many warning lights displayed in the dash. At the same time, the engine lost power and the transmission had a loud shutter and clunk when put into gear (D).

I immediately rushed to her location and saw the following warnings:
  • Transmission System Problem
  • Brake System Problem
  • Electric Parking Brake Problem
  • Hill Start Assist Problem
  • Vehicle Stability Assist Light
  • Check Engine Light
My first thought was low battery/alternator voltage but they were just fine. (I always carry a multimeter.)
I then re-started the car and all the warnings were gone except for the Check Engine Light. I proceeded to put the car into gear (D) and it made a loud clunk and had no engine power. It also felt like the torque converter didn't have any fluid while the car struggled to move forward.

We then called the nearby Honda dealership and tow truck company. By the time we made it to the dealership, it was closing time and we had to leave the car overnight. The following morning the car was ready for pick up. According to the service advisor the engine code P0717 was found which means that the TCM and/or ECM receives no signal from the Input Speed Sensor.

"P0717 HONDA Description The Input Speed Sensor detects the primary pulley revolution speed and sends a signal to the Transmission Control Module (TCM) and Engine Control Module (ECM). The ECM sets the OBDII code when the Input Speed Sensor is out of factory specifications."

The dealership replaced the Input Speed Sensor to solve the problem and it did. When I got in the car I drove a few laps around the block to make sure it didn't happen again. At the end of the day, the car felt great but this shouldn't have happened.

So I guess my only question is, why did the Input Speed Sensor fail?
Sponsored

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How many miles are on the car?

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Why it fail ? Like any other part, everything can fail......

Google Input Speed Sensor fail ,
You'll read lots about that.

takierosales

First Name
Romeo Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic 1.8e
Country flag
Hello everyone!

I want to share my current car experience and hope it helps anyone else that has the same issue.
I currently purchased a Certified-Used 2016 Honda Civic EX-T, a month later my wife was driving from work and many warning lights displayed in the dash. At the same time, the engine lost power and the transmission had a loud shutter and clunk when put into gear (D).

I immediately rushed to her location and saw the following warnings:
  • Transmission System Problem
  • Brake System Problem
  • Electric Parking Brake Problem
  • Hill Start Assist Problem
  • Vehicle Stability Assist Light
  • Check Engine Light
My first thought was low battery/alternator voltage but they were just fine. (I always carry a multimeter.)
I then re-started the car and all the warnings were gone except for the Check Engine Light. I proceeded to put the car into gear (D) and it made a loud clunk and had no engine power. It also felt like the torque converter didn't have any fluid while the car struggled to move forward.

We then called the nearby Honda dealership and tow truck company. By the time we made it to the dealership, it was closing time and we had to leave the car overnight. The following morning the car was ready for pick up. According to the service advisor the engine code P0717 was found which means that the TCM and/or ECM receives no signal from the Input Speed Sensor.

"P0717 HONDA Description The Input Speed Sensor detects the primary pulley revolution speed and sends a signal to the Transmission Control Module (TCM) and Engine Control Module (ECM). The ECM sets the OBDII code when the Input Speed Sensor is out of factory specifications."

The dealership replaced the Input Speed Sensor to solve the problem and it did. When I got in the car I drove a few laps around the block to make sure it didn't happen again. At the end of the day, the car felt great but this shouldn't have happened.

So I guess my only question is, why did the Input Speed Sensor fail?
Were they able to explain why did the speed sensor fail?

washearin

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 HONDA CIVIC, 2016 JEEP CHEROKEE
Country flag
Where is this sensor located at? Please provide photos. I am having the same issues with my Honda.

takierosales

First Name
Romeo Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic 1.8e
Country flag
Where is this sensor located at? Please provide photos. I am having the same issues with my Honda.
Located under the drive train. Make sure to replace the correct speed sensor. There are two of them

washearin

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 HONDA CIVIC, 2016 JEEP CHEROKEE
Country flag
Is this the correct sensor? Located on the front of the transmission directly in the front of the car.