MeanGreenSi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Accord Sport
Country flag
Is there a clutch replacement diy floating around?
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Replacing the clutch is a lot of work and requires more than basic tools and a driveway. I wouldn’t recommend DIY unless you really know what you’re doing. Best of luck though!

OP
OP
MeanGreenSi

MeanGreenSi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Replacing the clutch is a lot of work and requires more than basic tools and a driveway. I wouldn’t recommend DIY unless you really know what you’re doing. Best of luck though!
Never done a FWD clutch before but plenty of RWD experience. I plan on doing this in my garage on the floor. From what I see no specialty tools are needed as it is a bolt on slave cylinder. Just a lot of easy work from what I have read. I’m planning on dropping the sub frame so I can also install a front sway bar to match the rear. Also gonna clean and paint the sub frame in heavy duty black hammer tone paint.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
You’ll need metric tools and one big azz metric socket for the axles. 2 jacks one for motor and one for transmission. This is not “easy”, it is a lot of work, bleeding knuckles and plenty of cussing. It is a 2 day job on the floor. That being said it can be done if you have the tools and patience.

OP
OP
MeanGreenSi

MeanGreenSi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You’ll need metric tools and one big azz metric socket for the axles. 2 jacks one for motor and one for transmission. This is not “easy”, it is a lot of work, bleeding knuckles and plenty of cussing. It is a 2 day job on the floor. That being said it can be done if you have the tools and patience.
I hope to tackle this job by January, but Christmas is gonna slow me down a bit. I already ordered new Hasport 82a motor mounts. Gonna install those when they come in, gonna save up and get a whiteline front sway bar, decide what clutch and flywheel to order, leaning towards a clutch master light weight flywheel and FX400 also gonna buy a 2nd floor jack and possibly a floor tranny jack/trolley. I wouldn’t mind paying a shop to do the work but I don’t trust a lot of shops.

jacobzl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
You can do this job without dropping the subframe and that's what i would do, but you said you wanted to also put in a new FSB.. Honestly why not just shop around and get quotes while you wait?

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
I’ve done both ways, on the “floor” and on lifts (older gens civics and other front drivers). If your Si is not your DD then you can take the time and ensure everything goes well. If you are in a time crunch, best to wait until you have time or send it out. It is very rewarding to DIY if you have the skill. Be prepared for something to mess up though, I’ve had that happen...Honda Factory oil seal installed backwards from the factory for instance... just make sure you are not in a rush and you’ll be fine.

OP
OP
MeanGreenSi

MeanGreenSi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You can do this job without dropping the subframe and that's what i would do, but you said you wanted to also put in a new FSB.. Honestly why not just shop around and get quotes while you wait?
I enjoy working on the car, even if it sucks sometimes lol. Up in VA plenty of shops that could do it, but I don’t drive the car that much so I can take my time and clean it up while it’s apart. End game is to also install a 27won turbo myself too. Also gonna do the intercooler.

Last edited:

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
Is there a clutch replacement diy floating around?
I couldn't find one. I was looking because I was willing to do it myself with the proper instructions. I think it is close to the same concept as 8th/9th gen. Gotta drop the subframe. I think that is the biggest job. Everything else should be pretty routine once you get the trany out. My si is under surgery as I write this post. I got a type r retro from Eman a couple of months ago. I am having a little garage do my install. Metric Motors in Benson. He is doing it for $660.
Good luck bro. I hope it works out for ya. I really wanted to do my own but do not have the friend power to help me out if I get into trouble.
Sponsored