Clutch pedal creaking sound (dealer added grease once already last week)

1. ronnieburns

ronnieburns Member

Car(s):
    2018 civic 1ltr SR
    Have you called Honda directly? Over here if you go straight to Honda uk then you get better results. Mine was creaking at the dealer which will have helped but they told me it's well known and been an issue for years. So they do know.

2. OP
    OP
    10thDave

10thDave Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
    I have not, mainly because Honda Canada doesn't seem to care too much. When I went on a rant on their fb page about how their tech 'diagnosed' my car' issue last time by sticking a flashlight in my wheel and then tapping the clutch pedal with their hand and 'announcing to everyone' "I don't know what this customer is smoking". It took them almost a week and a half to even get back to me at all (even though they said 24-48 hours).

The only reason they ended up calling was I took a screenshot from my dash cam showing their bay of cars being worked on and stating I would post the video to youtube showing just how honda likes to diagnose a customers car... that's when they got back to me in about 20 minutes after doing that.

3. fjrman

fjrman Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
    This problem could be internal to the master cylinder. There's a spring inside which is compressed when you press the pedal. The spring should be centered about the rod and not touch the cylinder wall. If it moves off center it may rub the cylinder and generate a sound.

It will work ok but make a noise. Eventually it will mar the cylinder wall and the piston seal will leak.

I'd ask for a new MC to be installed.

You can buy buy an aftermarket MC for $50 or so. It's a tedious installation under the dash and under the hood.

4. nothome17

nothome17 Senior Member

Car(s):
    19 is 350 F
    Honda's clutch creak is infamous from the early 2000 when they switched to hydraulic clutches.

There are TWO separate problems that people complain about, and they are very similar in sound/feel to the owner.
    • Clutch CLICKING. Distinct, crisp CLICK sound at bottom of pedal travel. Also might experience a more subtle click at top of clutch pedal IF the pedal was fully depressed before returning to the top. The cause: Clutch switch. The clutch switch is used to ensure that the pedal is fully pressed in before starting the car. The top "click" is caused by the upper switch, which <I think> is used for the cruise control - sensing if you've pressed the clutch at all. NO TSB has been released yet, but who knows, it's been happening for a decade.
    • Clutch CREAKING or SQUEAKING. More of a creak or muted squeak. The cause: inadequately lubricated linkage between the pedal and the clutch master cylinder. This is where the "replace master cylinder" treatment is applied, ALTHOUGH IS NOT FULLY NECESSARY. Just lubricating the linkage with appropriate grease should take care of the problem for a long time. I think the "replace master cylinder" was overkill from the service departments, as until recently, they didn't know the exact cause of the problem, so replacing everything that might squeak was the only feasible solution.
    Hopefully this will help some people diagnose their problem and bring to everyones' attention that there are TWO SEPARATE PROBLEMS that might sound/feel almost the exact same to most people.

Martin Riggs thanked this.
  5. parshisa

parshisa Senior Member

Car(s):
    Civic X Hatchback LX
    Well, looks like my clutch is squeaking/creaking again. where do I put the greaase???

6. TheRedGlacier

TheRedGlacier Member

First Name:
    Hunter
    Car(s):
    2019 Civic Si, 1994 Trans Am, 1963 Corvette
    Honestly, if you haven't, I would contact American Honda directly. They may be more apt to help if you use good word choice (Extremely dissatified, etc..)

7. parshisa

parshisa Senior Member

Car(s):
    Civic X Hatchback LX
    here it is, clicking clutch striking again. I’ve narrowed it down to clutch slave cylinder area (you can feel the clicking as the pedal is being depressed and fork moved). Distinct 4-5 clicks. Now, i hope it doesn’t disappear so i can take it in and get it fixed (hopefully extended warranty will do the trick). What yall think fellas?

https://youtu.be/7h36kyUUuo8

8. parshisa

parshisa Senior Member

Car(s):
    Civic X Hatchback LX
    And sure enough, 1hr later darn sound is gone...maaan, that’s annoying