MIKROMO

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI sedan, 2017 Subaru Forester
Country flag
So, am I correctly thinking that if I remove the "clutch delay valve" rev hang goes away?
Sponsored

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
So, am I correctly thinking that if I remove the "clutch delay valve" rev hang goes away?
No you need a tuning solution to help with that.
The delay valve just slips the clutch automatically to make "things smoother" for inexperienced drivers. Less drive-line shock etc.
If you know how to drive, remove it, because all the unnecessary slippage is still eating away at your clutch prematurely.

Also it feels like you are more in control with it out.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
No you need a tuning solution to help with that.
The delay valve just slips the clutch automatically to make "things smoother" for inexperienced drivers. Less drive-line shock etc.
If you know how to drive, remove it, because all the unnecessary slippage is still eating away at your clutch prematurely.

Also it feels like you are more in control with it out.
How do you turn it off without a tune?

And I've been driving a '99 Civic Ex the last fourteen years. Does that have a CDV? If not, I'll just disable mine if possible as well.

EDIT: Oh, I'm now realizing it's probably a component and not a software thing. How much does it cost to get it removed?

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Like the guy you just quoted said, you need a tune to get rid of rev hang. There's no getting around it because it's software-controlled.

In contrast, the CDV is physical hardware that can be plucked out of the slave cylinder. Removing it is highly recommended, but it solves a different problem.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Like the guy you just quoted said, you need a tune to get rid of rev hang. There's no getting around it because it's software-controlled.

In contrast, the CDV is physical hardware that can be plucked out of the slave cylinder. Removing it is highly recommended, but it solves a different problem.
No worries, it sounds like that's what I want anyway. I was asking about disabling the CDV, not the rev hang. I think I'd rather not want it. Now, this isn't something the dealership would do for me, right? Would this void the warranty? I've driven stick forever and think I can do just fine without it.

Also, if I remove it immediately, wouldn't I be able to sell off my part if I wanted to? Should I remove it the moment I get the Si? (I'm getting one within this week)

Should I keep it for any particular reason?

Last edited:

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
It will void your warranty, don’t get it done at the dealer. Get it done privately. Dealer won’t be able to tell when it comes to warranty work unless they have a reason to bust open the slave. Dealers void absolutely anything. I went in for a subwoofer rattle and they said my HID kit was the cause of that due to the change in amperage or some BS causing my bass to rattle harder even though all my Audio settings are default.

Honestly with Black Friday coming up, get yourself a KTuner with TSP Stage 1. It’s worth getting rid of the rev hang and 237whp/280trq. Delete your CDV later.

You wouldn’t be selling off any part. CDV is a tiny object inside your slave. You remove the object and toss it, but the same slave goes right back in.

KTuners run different prices depending if you want an LCD screen or not. Cheaper on private sales in this forum, but with Black Friday coming up, I would just buy new from two step performance and it’ll come with a great tune along with the rev hang delete.

Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

And I've been driving a '99 Civic Ex the last fourteen years. Does that have a CDV? If not, I'll just disable mine if possible as well.

EDIT: Oh, I'm now realizing it's probably a component and not a software thing. How much does it cost to get it removed?
There are 2 types of Rev Hang: Mechanical and Electronic.

Electronic can be removed with a tune. On the stock tune, the computer is giving the engine gas AFTER you remove your foot from the pedal. So the RPMs 'hang' high even after you told the engine to drop them. This is the easier of the two.

Mechanical Rev Hang has to do with the spinning mass that is the crank shaft and fly wheel. That unit is the thing spinning thousands of times a minute that shows on your gauge. It has momentum, it WILL keep spinning for a period of time after the gas is turned off. A lighter flywheel will reduce the mass, in turn reduce the momentum and result in faster RPM drops.

I hope this info helps.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It will void your warranty, don’t get it done at the dealer. Get it done privately. Dealer won’t be able to tell when it comes to warranty work unless they have a reason to bust open the slave. Dealers void absolutely anything. I went in for a subwoofer rattle and they said my HID kit was the cause of that due to the change in amperage or some BS causing my bass to rattle harder even though all my Audio settings are default.

Honestly with Black Friday coming up, get yourself a KTuner with TSP Stage 1. It’s worth getting rid of the rev hang and 237whp/280trq. Delete your CDV later.

You wouldn’t be selling off any part. CDV is a tiny object inside your slave. You remove the object and toss it, but the same slave goes right back in.

KTuners run different prices depending if you want an LCD screen or not. Cheaper on private sales in this forum, but with Black Friday coming up, I would just buy new from two step performance and it’ll come with a great tune along with the rev hang delete.
Thanks for the advice. I'll be getting mine brand new from the factory though. Don't know if I want to throw a tune on it immediately.

I will try and eliminate rev hang later, but right now I'm trying more to just address little unneeded nuisances with the car that I can, and deleting the CDV may be one of those when it comes to shifting gears.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
It protects the drivetrain components from shock. Even an experienced driver can accidentally release the clutch to hard and damage the drivetrain, I wouldn't remove it

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
Important to realize every car before the year 2000 this wasn’t even a thing. And you would think 18 years later the drivetrain would have matured. Just my two cents

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

If you don’t want rev hang buy a whole new clutch setup that includes a single mass flywheel and rev hang will disappear. http://twostepperformance.com/spec-...eel-flywheel-combo-for-2016-honda-civic-1-5t/ Also they said no codes will be thrown by Spec and has been tested.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks, but...

For all intents and purposes, let's pretend like I am not talking about rev hang! I am talking simply about the CDV delete, period end of story. Nothing to do with rev hang. Been trying to clarify this for several posts now.

My very first post was about the CDV delete as well, and my mistake was that I didn't know what it was, thinking that it was a CPU-related thing that could somehow be "disabled" without a tune by the first response in this thread. Not the rev hang, the CDV. I'm trying to stick to the thread title here. I have an entire thread devoted to rev hang if I have more questions.

So again, if I'm getting a car brand new, is it fine to already get a CDV delete done onto it? Or should I have the clutch/engine work with stock parts initially? And if so, is there some sort of connector I would need to replace that?

The KTuner and rev hang disable is coming later. I don't intent on fully removing it but simply reducing much of it; I've already read extensively about switching to a single mass flywheel, and I think I'll stay with the dual mass.

Thanks again though, really. I appreciate everything everyone contributes to these threads. I just don't have a question about rev hang ATM (unless the CDV delete contributes to that in even a complementary way).

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well you got your answer in the very first reply. Case closed ;)

Getting rid of the CDV is probably something you'll have to do yourself or get a backyard mechanic for. I wasn't able to find any street shop willing to do the job. I highly doubt a dealership would do it, but I never asked.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well you got your answer in the very first reply. Case closed ;)

Getting rid of the CDV is probably something you'll have to do yourself or get a backyard mechanic for. I wasn't able to find any street shop willing to do the job. I highly doubt a dealership would do it, but I never asked.
It didn't answer several things, the biggest two being in my last question:

1) Is this something that can be done immediately when getting a new car without any such concerns?
2) What needs to replace the piece and connect the gap?

The other question was kind of regarding whether someone who is experienced in his '99 vehicle is something that deleting a CDV might be something that not only I'd be used to, but that I'd also probably be looking for. If it smooths out shifts I'm all for it, but I also want to make sure that it's something I've never had as a driver so I know what I'm getting into when it comes to handling the clutch.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
It didn't answer several things, the biggest two being in my last question:

1) Is this something that can be done immediately when getting a new car without any such concerns?
2) What needs to replace the piece and connect the gap?

The other question was kind of regarding whether someone who is experienced in his '99 vehicle is something that deleting a CDV might be something that not only I'd be used to, but that I'd also probably be looking for. If it smooths out shifts I'm all for it, but I also want to make sure that it's something I've never had as a driver so I know what I'm getting into when it comes to handling the clutch.
There is a reason why legit shops won't do it, it protects your drivetrain components from shock, that could cause premature wear and damage. It's like not wearing a helmet when you ride a bike, skateboard or motorcycle. You can do it, but if you have an accident or fall you want your head protected. Like I said previously, I would advise against it, but it's a free country
Sponsored