Clunking noise, front driver side, crossposted!

1slowCTR

First Name
Eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03' Corolla, 91' Integra, 18' Civic Type R
Country flag
Sup everyone.

Car is an 18' Civic Type-R

About two weeks ago I noticed I hear a clunking noise whenever I turn the wheel and go over an imperfection on the road, speed bump or anything along those lines. I only hear it on the driver front. I do have Swift springs installed, I highly doubt it has anything to do with it. I was told by a gentleman directly from Swift that I did not need to cut them. So, to be honest I eliminated that option. I took it to Honda, after test driving my car and doing whatever else they did, I was told I had to pay the diagnostic issue because my car has a lowering kit on it, so whatever.

In addition, I have done some research and some have posted that the steering rack was as issue? Issue with a tie rod heating up after driving for a bit. However, I hear the noise at cold or operating temperature. Really aiming towards something with steering because I can go over a speed bump in a straight line and nothing. Turn the wheel a bit while trying to reverse at low speed for example and clunk, I hear it. Others have said that the top nut of the spring/strut had to be torqued down, and that we did not do.

What I am looking to do is removing the strut/spring combo and torquing everything down to spec. I jacked it up, took a look, felt around and nothing seems out of the norm.

Any other recommendations from fellow members?

Thanks for reading and helping. I also posted in suspension, if not allowed, please delete.
Sponsored

loadedgoatx

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
I dont drive a type R, but I just bought a 2018 SI-Had a clunking from the driver side and it turns out that my tranny mount was not tight. Worth having them take a look at that.

First Name
Optimus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Si Coupe
Country flag
My 17 Si coupe was doing it too before when it was still bone stock. It still does it now with eibach springs installed. I don't know if it's related but when I go over those reflector dots on the highway, at speed, I hear the clunking noise also. Same now as when it was stock. Will ask to check the trans mount next time as a possible culprit.

777R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
Yo i have the exact same issue! i'm about to take it into Honda tomorrow and see what they say. Although im still on stock suspension.

xsport4e

First Name
ERIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport
I was getting the same noise for over a year and finally traced it down to a loose battery tie down. Noise is all gone now. My civic is a sport but R should have the same tie down.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
Forgive my ignorance but where is the tranny mount you refer to?

I dont drive a type R, but I just bought a 2018 SI-Had a clunking from the driver side and it turns out that my tranny mount was not tight. Worth having them take a look at that.

loadedgoatx

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
I personally havent looked, but they said tranny to body mount. driver side for me.

caluy

First Name
caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic type R
Country flag
i think i have the same issue. I just noticed recently after driving about 500 miles that there’s a knocking/clunking (metal to metal) noise in the front suspension area when i pass uneven road surfaces, small potholes, sudden steep change of elevation or elevated drive ways. I can feel the knock through the pedals. videos of the noise are attached for reference.

Now the weird part of this noise is that it only comes out in the first few miles of the drive coming from a cold start or long idle. And the rest of the way its minimal or no knocking/clunking noise from the suspension at all. Keep in mind i live in a tropical country so really low temperatures is not a factor. So what i did was i went to a shop to have them reinstall the lowering springs making sure all the bolts and nuts involved are torqued to specs. It was All done while the car is lifted. But the knocking/clunking noise is still there.

Brentp88

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a very similar if not exact same issue. I finally traced it down to the sway bar. After I adjusted it to the noise went away completely.

caluy

First Name
caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic type R
Country flag
I had a very similar if not exact same issue. I finally traced it down to the sway bar. After I adjusted it to the noise went away completely.

which part of the sway bar did you adjust?

Brentp88

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
which part of the sway bar did you adjust?
The rod ends. After my air suspension was installed I had no issues for a couple of weeks then all of a sudden started making the clunking noise. I was looking everywhere and tried a few different things before I finally just adjusted the rod ends to tighten the sway bar, drove right after and the noise was gone.

caluy

First Name
caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic type R
Country flag
The rod ends. After my air suspension was installed I had no issues for a couple of weeks then all of a sudden started making the clunking noise. I was looking everywhere and tried a few different things before I finally just adjusted the rod ends to tighten the sway bar, drove right after and the noise was gone.
did you have a similar noise as mine?

RickyJeezus

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Was having a similar issue on my '21...anytime I was moving with my steering wheel cranked all the way left you would hear clunking/creaking from the front passenger side. Took it to the dealer and after a few days of having the car and inspecting all suspension bolts, Honda told them it's the steering rack, and getting a new one installed next week. (Of course covered under warranty, car is 4 months old)

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
I don't envy chasing suspension noises on a car with modified suspension anymore.....or having to take everything out again after installing aftermarket springs/shocks only to find that the new strut bearing failed and caused all that noise ?

Surprised at the few stock cars that have experienced noises already though.
Sponsored