First Name
Cristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As the title says, my steering wheel makes this very faint clicking noise when I am turning it. You can only hear it when everything is quiet. I can feel it though even if I cant hear it. I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? It kinda sounds like the wheel on the wheel of fortune spinning, except obviously not that loud. It sounds as if something is stuck in the steering wheel and clicking when I turn. Anyone else have issues with this? I will eventually take it to the dealer but just trying to see if anyone else experienced this and what they did about it.

Thanks!
Sponsored

JJTHESIPLANE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
My car had developed a popping/clicking noise which resulted in a strut and bearing change under warranty. Maybe it's suspension related? Either that or it could be the spiral cable?????

OP
OP
Aguirre129

Aguirre129

First Name
Cristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My car had developed a popping/clicking noise which resulted in a strut and bearing change under warranty. Maybe it's suspension related? Either that or it could be the spiral cable?????
I'm hoping its something like the spiral cable. Something simple and not something like struts or bearings. Even though I know it may just be a simple fix under warranty but I just don't want to deal with it lol

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
Does it sound like it is coming from the center of the steering wheel (airbag/horn area)?

OP
OP
Aguirre129

Aguirre129

First Name
Cristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does it sound like it is coming from the center of the steering wheel (airbag/horn area)?
Yeah it sounds like its coming from in the steering wheel area. Just a faint little clicking noise when I turn the wheel either way.

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah it sounds like its coming from in the steering wheel area. Just a faint little clicking noise when I turn the wheel either way.
I had the same issue. Its a defective part in the airbag (wont affect airbag function during deployment), it's just annoying. I took it to the dealers and they tracked it down and replaced it with the same new OEM part. Within a month the sound came back. Ive left it that way ever since because they'll just keep replacing it with the same new part that'll just develop the sound again.

OP
OP
Aguirre129

Aguirre129

First Name
Cristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had the same issue. Its a defective part in the airbag (wont affect airbag function during deployment), it's just annoying. I took it to the dealers and they tracked it down and replaced it with the same new OEM part. Within a month the sound came back. Ive left it that way ever since because they'll just keep replacing it with the same new part that'll just develop the sound again.
But if thats the case why isnt anyone else having this issue? Not that I am doubting you cause it really is annoying I'm just wondering why noone has said anything about this noise.

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My guess would be strut bearing but it could certainly be anything else that's been addressed. For the strut bearing though... you can have someone turn your wheels and rest a screwdriver against the mount and then put your ear against it (or have a proper mechanics stethoscope). It'd be quite loud. Strut bearings are little more than plastic discs... at least the ones I've messed with.

Danny17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX
Country flag
Sorry to bring back this old thread, but I recently upgraded from a 2016 civic to a 2020 hatchback sport (only has 400KM) and noticed theses faint clicking noises when turning the steering wheel (left or right). Only happens when the car is standing still or at low speeds. Can barely hear it over the A/C and not at all when streaming music.

Wondering if it this is something to be concerned about, is it a problem that gets worse? My old 2016 civic sedan never had this issue.

OP
OP
Aguirre129

Aguirre129

First Name
Cristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry to bring back this old thread, but I recently upgraded from a 2016 civic to a 2020 hatchback sport (only has 400KM) and noticed theses faint clicking noises when turning the steering wheel (left or right). Only happens when the car is standing still or at low speeds. Can barely hear it over the A/C and not at all when streaming music.

Wondering if it this is something to be concerned about, is it a problem that gets worse? My old 2016 civic sedan never had this issue.
I took it to the dealer but the guy that checked it said he could not hear anything in the car. So I drove it home and have left it like that ever since. I still hear them from when I turn but I am convinced it something to do maybe with the spiral cable. I have checked my brakes, rotors, retainer clips and they were all in place and not damaged at all. Only thing I did not check was the strut bearing. This thread is old though and I have been driving the car around with absolutely no problem, the clicking didn't go away but it also did not get any worse. Sorry if I can't be of more help. I should've pursued it but I work way too much to be dealing with it tbh.

Danny17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX
Country flag
I took it to the dealer but the guy that checked it said he could not hear anything in the car. So I drove it home and have left it like that ever since. I still hear them from when I turn but I am convinced it something to do maybe with the spiral cable. I have checked my brakes, rotors, retainer clips and they were all in place and not damaged at all. Only thing I did not check was the strut bearing. This thread is old though and I have been driving the car around with absolutely no problem, the clicking didn't go away but it also did not get any worse. Sorry if I can't be of more help. I should've pursued it but I work way too much to be dealing with it tbh.

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm glad to hear that nothing major came out of it. I think this might just be one those small quirks you just gotta live with. I've read numerous different posts discussing the issue with people who even got the steering wheel fixed only to have the problem come back after awhile. My car still drives just as smooth since day 1 and honestly haven't actually noticed any issues with handling. In fact during regular driving the sound isn't even there. It only happens when stationary.

bmedhat

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic sedan ex 2.0 liters
Country flag
I had this very similar problem with my 2018 civic. I lubricated the exposed 3 springs that help actuate the horn on the back of the airbag unit and the problem went away. Apparently, the screws that hold the unit in place sit on a bracket that also houses these horn springs so that any tension felt on the unit is transmitted through these springs.
Sponsored