clear coat scratch repair - alt to just wet sand??

PaulME

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe, 2017 CRV, 2002 Mercedes E320 wagon, 2001 E320 Wagon, 2002 E320 sedan, 1986 944T, 1972 land Rover
Country flag
ok not a newbie to scratch repair etc, have a porter cable da and various pads polishes etc.
the question is related to clear coat scratches. Search the web and lots of info on wet sanding out clear coat scratches. Seems to me you wind up removing an awful lot of clear coat to bring the level down even.

Now I have used dr color chop in the past on an 80’s Porsche - worked like a champ. So my belief is it should be possible to fill in clear coat scratches with clear coat then just remove the high spot. Seems like 2 ways to do this either wet sand high spot, or you could come up with a weak thinner and chemically remove the high spot like they do with dr color chip. Seems like dr color chip could make a clear product - which they don’t seem to.

So anyone ever try this type of approach? Anyone ever thin lacquer thinner so it is less aggressive to try to just clean a high spot smear?

Comments? Suggestions? Will probably start experimenting as there is little down side, worst case I clean off all the clear coat I apply - amounts are very small (if I resort to wet sanding - sanding block can de about 1/2 inch.

Thanks
Paul
Sponsored

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
ok not a newbie to scratch repair etc, have a porter cable da and various pads polishes etc.
the question is related to clear coat scratches. Search the web and lots of info on wet sanding out clear coat scratches. Seems to me you wind up removing an awful lot of clear coat to bring the level down even.

Now I have used dr color chop in the past on an 80’s Porsche - worked like a champ. So my belief is it should be possible to fill in clear coat scratches with clear coat then just remove the high spot. Seems like 2 ways to do this either wet sand high spot, or you could come up with a weak thinner and chemically remove the high spot like they do with dr color chip. Seems like dr color chip could make a clear product - which they don’t seem to.

So anyone ever try this type of approach? Anyone ever thin lacquer thinner so it is less aggressive to try to just clean a high spot smear?

Comments? Suggestions? Will probably start experimenting as there is little down side, worst case I clean off all the clear coat I apply - amounts are very small (if I resort to wet sanding - sanding block can de about 1/2 inch.

Thanks
Paul
Would be nice to have a old junk door to try it on first.
I have an air brush I would like to try on that. But hope I never have to.

OP
OP

PaulME

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe, 2017 CRV, 2002 Mercedes E320 wagon, 2001 E320 Wagon, 2002 E320 sedan, 1986 944T, 1972 land Rover
Country flag
Well on that vein I have an old 2000 Mercedes silver I could practice on. Airbrush has its place but not really the same application. I just want to fill the scratch with clear then level.

With no real replies I’m thinking of thinning maybe 5 or 10 to 1 and give it a try. Don’t want it aggressive want it just to take the top off.

Paul

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
Well on that vein I have an old 2000 Mercedes silver I could practice on. Airbrush has its place but not really the same application. I just want to fill the scratch with clear then level.

With no real replies I’m thinking of thinning maybe 5 or 10 to 1 and give it a try. Don’t want it aggressive want it just to take the top off.

Paul
Well keep us up to date on it. Many of us will run into the same issue in time.
Sponsored