Clanking / Tapping Sound when in Reverse (video)

jdmorangefever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 eg, 17 type r, 16 crv
Country flag
Ya sounds like a rock or something hitting heat shield. Ive also seen a leaf causing same noise inside innerpart of rotor and hub.. yes i said leaf and it was god awful loud.
Sponsored

R-01277

First Name
Gagandeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #01277
Well guys, the video I originally posted was on August 5th and the noise magically disappeared so I didn't go-ahead with bringing it into the dealer hoping it was maybe a rock or something that just fell out etc.

Fast forward a couple of weeks to today, August 30th and now I've got a noise coming from the same area but is a completely different noise... So I stopped real quick and grabbed my phone to catch it on video as I am 100% going to have to drag it into the dealer now to let them take a peek at it and see what's going on.

It also only does this in reverse.

Has anyone heard a noise like this one?

I am getting the same thing do you have any-update on the sound

MidnightMonolith

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I haven't read all the posts, but have you looked at your brake pads? I've had a couple cars where the pads actually shifted slightly in the caliper causing a slight but rhythmic metallic noise. New shims solved that problem.

Travis

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-R
I had the same issue. I took my wheels off and found that the heat shield was somehow stuck in a weird spot. I applied some pressure to it and it popped right back in place. Haven't heard the noise since.

Woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey there,

UK Type R here, I experienced something similar last week. Reversing from my parking spot and it sounded like a piece of tin was scraping, I checked and couldn't see anything so kept going until it went clang and then stopped... Definitely sounded like a heat shield but haven't had a chance to properly check.

Travis

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-R
Hey there,

UK Type R here, I experienced something similar last week. Reversing from my parking spot and it sounded like a piece of tin was scraping, I checked and couldn't see anything so kept going until it went clang and then stopped... Definitely sounded like a heat shield but haven't had a chance to properly check.
Mine was the dust shield for sure. Mine was the front passenger side. I applied some pressure to it and it popped right back into place. Haven't heard the sound since

TrollingHard82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R #572, Mazda Cx 9, Yamaha Raider
I've had all of these noises as well. Seems to happen randomly. I've noticed it pulling into and out of my parking lot at various speeds, but usually when cutting the wheel.

Wabby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Cr-z
Country flag
I've had this on a heavy turn + reverse.
And it is also gone again.

This is the same sound and problem i had on my E39 BMW, and that is small rocks gathering up between the brakeshield and disc.
It's annoying, but not dangerous.
The fix on the E39 was to modify the shield so the rocks wasn't able to gather up between.

Here you see others having this issue on BMWs:
https://www.google.no/search?client=opera&q=bmw+e39+brake+shield+rocks

typeR_Chimp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R & 07 S2k
I'm getting the same scraping sound when going in reverse... I took my car into the dealer once, they acknowledged the sound, and tried to diagnose the issue. Unfortunately, they weren't able to find any issues after leaving the car with them overnight, but when they put the car back together the sound was gone. Fast forward a few weeks and the scraping sound is back. If this scraping is from the brake area, has anybody had luck getting the dealership to find a permanent solution to this?

R-01277

First Name
Gagandeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #01277
I'm getting the same scraping sound when going in reverse... I took my car into the dealer once, they acknowledged the sound, and tried to diagnose the issue. Unfortunately, they weren't able to find any issues after leaving the car with them overnight, but when they put the car back together the sound was gone. Fast forward a few weeks and the scraping sound is back. If this scraping is from the brake area, has anybody had luck getting the dealership to find a permanent solution to this?
i had no luck on getting my fix with Honda they where telling me it the breaks and its normal . i fixed it on my own on my it was the rotor heat sync i push it back and hard it pop back in after that no sounds

Modomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #0369
Country flag
Well this sucks... In top of my 2nd gear crunch / grind issue that I still have to take mine in for, I just had another issue arise today.

At work, there is a slight incline to where I always park. I always back into my spot which has a dip and then an incline that I reverse in to. Today, I'm backing up with the wheel turned and I hear a clanking / knocking or tapping sound (however you want to describe it) that kinda sounds like something is dragging the concrete or against something metal. It's hard for me to describe so I've attached a video below. There is nothing dangling below the car that is visible or anything that I nor anybody else can when I'm backing up. It does sound like it's coming from the front right corner but hard to tell 100%. It only does this in reverse in and on this area with the slight incline to it, it never does it when I'm backing out of my driveway at home or anywhere else for that matter. I'm going to take it into the dealership this Monday and see what they say. I'll keep you guys posted.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this?

In the video below, i reverse up the slight incline and then roll back down to reverse back up it again a second time.

EDIT / UPDATE

Well, I posted the original video above on August 5th and the noise magically disappeared so I didn't go-ahead with bringing it into the dealer hoping it was maybe a rock or something that just fell out etc.

Fast forward a couple of weeks to today, August 30th and now I've got a noise coming from the same area but is a completely different noise... So I stopped real quick and grabbed my phone to catch it on video as I am 100% going to have to drag it into the dealer now to let them take a peek at it and see what's going on.

It also only does it in reverse.

I just had an almost identical sound as your 2nd vid and decided to see if it was a out of place shield...instead, I found a small rock lodged between the shield and rotor. Sorry, I should've took a pic. But now, no noise anymore! Damn sticky tires lol

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well this sucks... In top of my 2nd gear crunch / grind issue that I still have to take mine in for, I just had another issue arise today.

At work, there is a slight incline to where I always park. I always back into my spot which has a dip and then an incline that I reverse in to. Today, I'm backing up with the wheel turned and I hear a clanking / knocking or tapping sound (however you want to describe it) that kinda sounds like something is dragging the concrete or against something metal. It's hard for me to describe so I've attached a video below. There is nothing dangling below the car that is visible or anything that I nor anybody else can when I'm backing up. It does sound like it's coming from the front right corner but hard to tell 100%. It only does this in reverse in and on this area with the slight incline to it, it never does it when I'm backing out of my driveway at home or anywhere else for that matter. I'm going to take it into the dealership this Monday and see what they say. I'll keep you guys posted.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this?

In the video below, i reverse up the slight incline and then roll back down to reverse back up it again a second time.

EDIT / UPDATE

Well, I posted the original video above on August 5th and the noise magically disappeared so I didn't go-ahead with bringing it into the dealer hoping it was maybe a rock or something that just fell out etc.

It also only does it in reverse.

Exact sound I get every now and then. I've been too lazy to check for a stone/pebble...I'm sure it's just that.

TheBigG

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2017, Kia Optima Sportswagon GT 2017
Country flag
I had the same problem 3 times but not in reverse. My feeling is that a small stone got stuck in the rear.....brake shield or something like this.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had the same problem 3 times but not in reverse. My feeling is that a small stone got stuck in the rear.....brake shield or something like this.
yeah, probably is. I've noticed it happen in reverse or going forward, but only seems to do it when I'm turning the wheel all the way in one direction. So strange, wonder if this is common on other cars with BBKs?

NorcalR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 crv k24
Country flag
mines doing it to with wheel turned fully to the left in reverse. dealership gave me the -its alls good but still does it . anoying and sounds like shit
Sponsored