CivicX vs. GTI

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The MKVII is towards the tail end of its production lifecycle. Issues should be less than previous years. But comparatively speaking, based on empirical data of higher mileage models, it's a problem child. They are great for lease, horrible long term IMHO.

Subaru's ring issue also has me concerned. I believe some of that is attributed to poor quality oil or unusually long OCIs. But even with 3-5K oil changes, the Speed 3 succumbed to stuck oil control rings at 135K. Audi also had a batch of 2.0Ts drinking oil.

I guess these are risks of higher output turbo platforms. :(

HondaGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
The MKVII is towards the tail end of its production lifecycle. Issues should be less than previous years. But comparatively speaking, based on empirical data of higher mileage models, it's a problem child. They are great for lease, horrible long term IMHO.

Subaru's ring issue also has me concerned. I believe some of that is attributed to poor quality oil or unusually long OCIs. But even with 3-5K oil changes, the Speed 3 succumbed to stuck oil control rings at 135K. Audi also had a batch of 2.0Ts drinking oil.

I guess these are risks of higher output turbo platforms. :(
Perhaps, but there are expeditions. I had two Evo Xs (one slightly modified) and I had no mechanical or electrical issues whatsoever.

It's a fact than Subaru, Audi and BMW (not all models of each) have an issue with oil consumption. This was something that even Consimer Reports reported back in July. The manufacturers simply said that this was normal for their engines, which is totally unacceptable.

OP
OP

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
The VQ35 was supposedly a oil guzzler. Mine never used any oil, and even at 6K intervals the oil was an amber color. 100K miles on that engine in 5 years.

But, the new WRX has some issues. Seeing stock FA20DIT motors laying in pieces on a shop floor with 6K miles on it is pretty alarming. Maybe the worst offender is the breaking "pitch stop mount". It's basically an upper motor mount on the firewall, the metal fatigues and tears away from the firewall. To replace it requires removing the dash and anything combustible on the interior side of the firewall so that the new pitch stop can be rewelded to the firewall. Subaru is being stubborn about warranty on affected cars, and in some cases they are not even re-painting the repaired area.

I spent a lot of effort researching my next car. Civics...reliable. WRX's...aforementioned issues, which were surprising, GTI has been out as long as WRX and there are FAR less issues reported online than the WRX.

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic Si HFP, 2017 Golf R
Ok sorry before I read any more.... GTI with DSG for 23.3k USD??? Go for it!!!!! lol Seriously... Thats a dam good deal.

Congrats on the GTI. You will be happy with that for sure.

Last edited:

OP
OP

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Ok sorry before I read any more.... GTI with DSG for 23.3k USD??? Go for it!!!!! lol Seriously... Thats a dam good deal.

Congrats on the GTI. You will be happy with that for sure.
That'd be the 6MT. DSG about a $1K more. And that's for the 2015's, they are going for up to $1K under invoice, then you add VW's $1500 bonus for not owning a VW

HondaGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
The VQ35 was supposedly a oil guzzler. Mine never used any oil, and even at 6K intervals the oil was an amber color. 100K miles on that engine in 5 years.

But, the new WRX has some issues. Seeing stock FA20DIT motors laying in pieces on a shop floor with 6K miles on it is pretty alarming. Maybe the worst offender is the breaking "pitch stop mount". It's basically an upper motor mount on the firewall, the metal fatigues and tears away from the firewall. To replace it requires removing the dash and anything combustible on the interior side of the firewall so that the new pitch stop can be rewelded to the firewall. Subaru is being stubborn about warranty on affected cars, and in some cases they are not even re-painting the repaired area.

I spent a lot of effort researching my next car. Civics...reliable. WRX's...aforementioned issues, which were surprising, GTI has been out as long as WRX and there are FAR less issues reported online than the WRX.
True about the VQ35. A coworker of mine his engine replaced twice on his G35 Coupe for oil consumption that led to total engine failure.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Leasing a car that is not holding its value is a bad bad idea.
You will end up owing money on it in the end.
Also last time I drove a GTI a year ago, it only comes with what they called Summer tires, if you live anywhere it snows you need to immediately get new tires for it.

OP
OP

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Leasing a car that is not holding its value is a bad bad idea.
You will end up owing money on it in the end.
Also last time I drove a GTI a year ago, it only comes with what they called Summer tires, if you live anywhere it snows you need to immediately get new tires for it.
No you don't end up owing. My GTI has A/S tires. Just like an Si, you can request either A/S or Summer Performance.

Misinformation....terrible disease

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No you don't end up owing. My GTI has A/S tires. Just like an Si, you can request either A/S or Summer Performance.

Misinformation....terrible disease
My son in law got into a chevy lease, it did not hold its value and he had to pay a huge price to buy it out at the end
Truth, not misinformation

HondaGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
To be clear on leasing, a customer's Buy Option at the end of the lease is stated on the contract the day you sign for the car (take delivery). It is a set price, meaning that it cannot be increased nor decreased by the dealer, even if you drive a million miles. This is through Ally financial, which was formerly GMAC (GM former bank).

Honda's lease program is the same. Its a guaranteed Buy Out number, regardless of how the market is three years from now.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
To be clear on leasing, a customer's Buy Option at the end of the lease is stated on the contract the day you sign for the car (take delivery). It is a set price, meaning that it cannot be increased nor decreased by the dealer, even if you drive a million miles. This is through Ally financial, which was formerly GMAC (GM former bank).

Honda's lease program is the same. Its a guaranteed Buy Out number, regardless of how the market is three years from now.
The reason he had to pay a lot to buy out is because he had put a lot of miles on, and could not get a bank to finance the buy out, because the car was worth less than the buy out.

OP
OP

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
My son in law got into a chevy lease, it did not hold its value and he had to pay a huge price to buy it out at the end
Truth, not misinformation
Ok. Nobody's gonna back you up on this one.

If VW ceases operation in U.S. and my GTI becomes worthless at lease turn in, I still owe nothing as long as the car isn't over miles, broken or damaged.

Your son didn't tell you the whole story. Either his vehicle was over miles or damaged.

Misinformation

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. Nobody's gonna back you up on this one.

If VW ceases operation in U.S. and my GTI becomes worthless at lease turn in, I still owe nothing as long as the car isn't over miles, broken or damaged.

Your son didn't tell you the whole story. Either his vehicle was over miles or damaged.

Misinformation
I just said he went over the miles, and he's not my son, he was my son in law.
Sponsored