CivicX.com Type R Review From Montreal

driveopolis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4
Hi! CivicX has just returned from Montreal where I sampled the new Civic Type R on both the street and the track. I have lots to share with you and I will update this post as I generate more content.

The first item to share is part one of my video review, which is a ride-along with me as I lap ICAR racetrack just outside Montreal. Track time was limited and I was given two lapping sessions lasting around 20 minutes each. The first session was mostly devoted to learning the track and the second is where I opened it up and pushed the Civic just a little. The second session is what I filmed.

After the track drive, we were given a few hours to sample the Type R on rural roads around Montreal. We drove on the open highway and on flowing two-lane back roads. This is where I filmed part two of my video review.

In short, the Type R is fantastic. It is polished, well-balanced and easy for anyone to appreciate. It is adjustable but safe and very easy to drive quickly. It has an excellent suspension. Its gearshift feel is world class. It is a nod to the enthusiast and returns Honda to top form among sporting compact cars in North America. The boss is back!

How is the engine?

The engine is excellent, with a wide power band and very little turbo lag. It has strong mid-range torque which makes for easy roll-on accelerations. If you make a mistake and let the revs drop too far you will experience a delay. Otherwise it is a superb two litre turbo motor and stands proud among any modern competitor of similar induction and displacement.

I would be lying if I said that I did not miss the sound and feel of screaming, naturally aspirated Honda engines of old, but the new turbo power-plant makes up for it with performance. It is the most powerful engine ever offered in a production vehicle with the Honda badge in North America. It makes 306 horsepower at 6500 rpm and 295 ft.-lb. of torque between 2,500 and 4,500 rpm. This level of performance speaks volumes about the range of capability in the tenth generation Civic platform.

My only criticism is that the Type R's sound is somewhat muted. There is pleasant intake noise and you will occasionally hear an exciting turbo whistle, but the exhaust is very quiet and starts with barely a whisper. What you hear in my videos is a fairly accurate representation of the live experience. What I want is a louder exhaust!

How is the transmission?

It will come as no surprise that that Type R has one of the best manual transmissions available today. Its shift feel is superb with short throws, a very light action and possibly the best shift knob in the business. Does the Type R dethrone the S2000 as my favorite shifting Honda of all time? Probably not, but it's not far off and that's a serious accomplishment. It gave me much joy to row through the gears and I found myself shifting just for the pleasure of it. This is the type of gearbox which reaffirms everything I love about driving a manual vehicle. I'm happy that the Type R is not available any other way!

Honda's automatic rev-matching system is interesting. In 'comfort' or 'sport' drive modes, the rev-match system uses a 'seamless' profile, designed to give smooth, comfortable downshifts. In the +R mode, the system changes to a more aggressive algorithm in anticipation of faster downshifts. The system can be disabled entirely via the menus.

On my first session at the track, the system functioned flawlessly. On my second track outing, I saw an error on the dash indicating a failure in both the emissions control system and the rev-match system. It was a great opportunity to revert to manual rev-matching, which I accomplished via heel-and-toe downshifts under braking. You can see this in part one of my video review and I found the pedals to offer excellent spacing for heel-and-toe downshifts. It's a task I enjoy for its own sake, so I found it reassuring that rev-matching can be defeated independently via the menus in all drive modes, which is something that cannot be said for all manufacturers.

With the system on and functioning properly, the rev-matching worked effortlessly. +R mode is slightly more aggressive and mimics a more determined throttle blip. It is still less showy and less aggressive than other systems which I've sampled recently -- like in BMW M or Porsche GT -- but it functions just as well and is an excellent driving aid for new manual drivers or those who struggle with conventional heel-and-toe.

How is the LSD?

The Type R comes equipped with a helical limited-slip differential. I felt it working to my advantage at the track every time I applied power while the chassis was under load and changing direction. There was a slight tugging on the nose towards my chosen line and I felt a subtle pulsing at the steering wheel. The front axle felt as though it was digging in deeper and it propelled the Type R towards the inside of the corner. For those who swear by rear-wheel-drive, this capability somewhat makes up for the Type R's lack of rotational yaw under power. The Type R may not power oversteer, but it will at least pull its nose towards the apex if you drive it hard enough.

How are the brakes?

The Type R comes with the largest brake rotors ever fitted to a production Honda Civic. The ventilated and cross-drilled front rotors measure 13.8 inches in diameter and the rear rotors measure 12 inches in diameter. 4-piston front and single-piston rear calipers are supplied by Brembo.

Even after an entire morning of repeated track abuse by journalists of varying skill level, the Type R's brakes held up admirably. I detected no hint of fade or additional pedal travel even on my second track session, which also happened to be the last session of the day. Braking force was very easy to modulate and while there was more brake pedal travel than I am accustomed to in premium track-biased sports cars, the travel always remained consistent and did not detract from overall braking performance. These are a fantastic set of brakes!

How is the steering?

The Type R has an electric power-assisted steering system with a variable ratio. It has a quick 2.11 turns lock-to-lock. Steering effort is also variable and ramps up according to your chosen drive mode.

It was easy to feel the steering effort firm up from 'comfort' to 'sport' and further still in '+R'. While the Type R's steering weight was consistent and well-judged in all drive modes, I wasn't as impressed with its somewhat muted feedback. What I consider to be genuine feedback is a progressive ramping up of steering effort as cornering forces increase on the front tires. I also expect to feel these forces taper off the moment tire grip is breached and the front tires start sliding. I want all of this information communicated faithfully back to my fingertips. Unfortunately, the messages coming back from the Type R's front axle are rather concealed. This has been and continues to be a real challenge for vehicles equipped with electric power assist. In its class, the Focus RS has better steering feedback, even though both cars are equally excellent in steering weight and steering precision. The Type R's steering is very precise.

Would I consider the lack of genuine feedback to be a problem for most buyers? Most likely not. In fact, I believe few would notice it. I also do not believe it will hurt your lap times. I mention it because I care very deeply about steering feel and because I hold the Type R to a very high standard. It deserves to be judged against the world's best vehicles, because it is among the world's best vehicles.

Does the Type R suffer from torque steer?

The 'Dual-Axis' front suspension design on the Civic Type R is significantly upgraded from the regular Civic hatchback and features more initial negative camber for crisper turn-in, and more caster for stability. Its front track is over 2 inches wider than the hatchback LX with a 3/4 inch reduction in steering axis offset on each side which Honda claims greatly reduces torque steer.

I was cautious about this claim because in my experience, any front-wheel-drive car with over 300 horsepower will be prone to torque steer. In fact, even the all-wheel-drive (but front-drive-biased) Ford Focus RS experiences torque steer!

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the Civic Type R does not torque steer. It did not torque steer on the relatively flat and smooth surfaces at ICAR and incredibly, did not do so even on the bumpy two-lane roads of rural Quebec with their mixture of unpredictable camber and elevation changes. Honda has virtually eradicated torque steer in the Type R and has quashed my number one criticism of high performance front-wheel-drive vehicles. This is technology is a game changer!

Ford's Focus RS does indeed torque steer despite being AWD. Kudos to Honda for getting it done!

How is the suspension?

The Type R is equipped with an active suspension system. Damping force varies with drive mode and in the default drive mode of 'sport', the ride is firm but extremely resilient. I had no trouble driving over railroad crossings at speed on the public road and even on track in +R mode, I was able to take lines over the rumble strips with impunity. Compliance is very good and even though I experienced some body roll, the chassis felt very progressive and kept its mass in check against fast directional changes and rapid weight transfer.

I was actually surprised at how well the Type R rides. Prior to driving it, I had expected a hard-edged, track-biased set up especially because it wears rather low-profile 20" wheels and tires. In practice, the Type R is much more forgiving and road-friendly than one might expect. I was happy to drive it around on the street even in the stiffest +R setting and would be more than comfortable on a long road trip in 'sport' or 'comfort'.

To put things into perspective, the Type R rides and tracks better than the Focus RS. The RS is near unusable in its harder damper setting and has a much more fidgety ride prone to the distractions of following cambers and ruts in the road.

I would be more than happy to make the Civic Type R my daily driver.

How are the ergonomics?

It was easy for me to find a comfortable driving position in the Type R. Like all tenth generation Civics, the interior is a nice place to be.

While Honda boasts of the Type R having the most aggressive, race-inspired front seats in the entire lineup, I did not find them to be particularly supportive. I am of smaller build than the average North American buyer, but I have found better support in the sport seats of other manufacturers. In the Type R, I found the thigh bolsters to be excellent, but the side bolsters were too far apart and not adequately grippy for my torso. I also did not 'sink' into the seat like I would in a proper fixed-back bucket seat. As it is, there is too much fixed lumbar support and I felt like I sat on top of the seat rather than inside it. If Honda's intention was to accommodate a wide range of body types, they should have included more adjustments such as adjustable side bolsters. That's not to say the seats are not comfortable because they mostly are. Your experience may differ so the only way to know is to try them yourself.

Brilliantly, the functional rear wing does not hurt visibility. It is bad ass.

How does the Type R compare to its competition?

Many consider the Focus RS, WRX STI and the Golf R to be the Civic's primary competition. Clearly, so does Honda because the PR team included a presentation slide comparing pricing and equipment levels between all four cars.

As much as I love Subaru as a brand, the WRX STI is sadly antiquated in comparison to all of its rivals. Its engine is reliable but inefficient and suffers from a very narrow power band no longer tolerated in 2017. It rides poorly and lacks compliance. It feels industrial and lacks polish.

The Golf R is modern enough and has excellent technology and refinement, but does not have the performance to keep pace with the Focus RS and the Civic Type R. It also lacks interior space. It is a good option if you love Volkswagen and you prioritize maturity and style over absolute performance. The Golf R is still an excellent car.

In my view, the Focus RS is the Type R's only real dynamic competitor. The RS is brilliant. It has better steering feedback than the Type R. In my recent Focus RS review, I said that the quality of feedback coming back into my fingertips from the RS's front axle rivals that of Porsche GT. For me, it doesn't get much better than that for modern electrically assisted steering. The RS's steering is that good. The RS is also the best option if you like power oversteer or just enjoy the direct connection between your right foot and the rear axle. As good as the Civic Type R is, it is still driven from the front wheels and less prone to oversteer. The RS also sounds louder and more characterful from inside the cabin.

However, the Civic Type R trumps the Focus RS for ride quality, compliance, body control and its surprising lack of torque steer. The Focus RS, despite being all-wheel-drive, continues to suffer from corrupting tugs of the steering wheel and frequently becomes deviated from its chosen line by sudden bursts of acceleration or odd cambers in the road. The Type R tracks more faithfully and is simply easier and less tiresome to drive quickly, despite wearing less compromising 20 inch wheels and tires versus the Ford's 19. The Type R is lighter. It has more sophisticated suspension which works well on the street even in its most hardcore +R setting. I would not drive the Focus RS in anything except its softest damper mode where as the Civic has a greater breadth of ability in all of its drive modes. This is the main reason I feel that the Civic is superior. While the Focus RS appears more subtle and looks more accommodating, it is actually the Civic which is the better all rounder despite wearing its race car clothing. The Type R is a car I am happy to drive comfortably and quickly every single day of the year.

Conclusion?

The marketing and hype nearly had me believe that the Civic Type R would be an uncompromising, fire-breathing track dragon. In reality, it is a remarkable all rounder. It is quieter than I expected and rides better, too. It is surprisingly comfortable and liveable, yet every bit as capable as advertised. If you are expecting a screaming, wailing, under-insulated Type R of old, you may well be disappointed. It is not a raw race car. Instead, it is a very polished, very refined modern interpretation of a high performance Honda and represents a true return to form for one of my favorite car companies. What an achievement.

Should you buy one?

Yes. If everything I just said appeals to you, there is no reason for you not to buy it. The only question you have to ask yourself is: what color?
Sponsored

Last edited:

JJAY8175

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord 2007 Honda civic SI 97 Subaru Legacy 17 CTR CW #3892
Country flag
That is great to hear, mine couldn't get here fast enough! Look forward to more ty :)

chi town brat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90 CRX Si. 91 STD Hatch. 17 CTR. 18 CTR.
Country flag
Thanks for the review. Funny how many journalists are comparing the Civic Type R to the Focus RS.

ronmcdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FiestaST, 19 Si, Camaro Z1LE, EvoX, 98 240sx
Country flag
Wow pretty scary that rev match stopped working out of the blue on the track! Hope this is something Honda will be able to address.

Was also curious how well the tires held up. In the review I recall the driver saying it was "a bit slippery" and would be interested to have that elaborated further.

samaximuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Passat
Country flag
all i gotta say the guy in the blue CR sucks, caught up to him dirty!!!!!! nice driving Sam and thanks for the vid!

Psy-q

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BRZ Spor-tech manual.
8:17-8:20 please tell me that's not rev hang I am hearing

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the great write up Sam, glad to finally see you lol, nice driving too!

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Very good write up. Thank you. This is exactly the type of car Im looking for - something I can use for daily and track on weekends.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Country flag
Wow pretty scary that rev match stopped working out of the blue on the track! Hope this is something Honda will be able to address.
He did say a couple of times later in the video that he thought the rev matching was turned off. Every other review I have read that talked about it thought it to be a near-flawless system.

ronmcdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FiestaST, 19 Si, Camaro Z1LE, EvoX, 98 240sx
Country flag
I says it around 2.48 where he says he thinks that rev match isn't working, but there did not seem like there was any explanation why. From the driver's demeanor, he seemed surprised to me. Even if the choice were deliberate, it would be baffle me why that were the case unless it's just running sport or comfort mode. As I understand it, rev match would be turned on automatically with the R mode on.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
I says it around 2.48 where he says he thinks that rev match isn't working, but there did not seem like there was any explanation why. From the driver's demeanor, he seemed surprised to me. Even if the choice were deliberate, it would be baffle me why that were the case unless it's just running sport or comfort mode. As I understand it, rev match would be turned on automatically with the R mode on.
I'm sure it was just turned off and Sam wasn't aware that it was.

OP
OP

driveopolis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4
Thanks for your comments, everyone!

Was also curious how well the tires held up. In the review I recall the driver saying it was "a bit slippery" and would be interested to have that elaborated further.
There was a marked difference in grip between my first session and my second session. This is why in the first few corners of the video, I kept running a little wide. When I started filming, the car had already done 7 sessions in total of 20 minutes each. So the front tires were pretty done.

He did say a couple of times later in the video that he thought the rev matching was turned off. Every other review I have read that talked about it thought it to be a near-flawless system.
I'm sure it was just turned off and Sam wasn't aware that it was.
Re the failed rev match, it was indeed a failure because I saw two messages on the dash when I got back to the pits. 1. Rev match failure. 2. Emissions control failure. I didn't hear anyone else run into this on other cars, so let's just chalk it up to that one car having a defect. I'm not really too concerned, it would be taken care of by warranty if it happens on a customer vehicle.

Aero2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Country flag
Excellent review, and thanks for your thorough analysis of steering feedback. That's very important to me, and I share your disappointment in the feel/feedback from most racks with electric assist. I'm not surprised you prefer the steering in the Focus RS, because Ford does a surprisingly good job with this. Even the steering in the Focus ST is excellent IMO, and better than most others I've tried.

On this subject, how's the on-center feel in the Type-R? I can't stand the huge on-center numb spot in my TSX, and hope to find something better in its replacement.

romulanvox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord CL7A JDM
Country flag
There were a few other reviews who also pointed out that the front seats are not as bolstering as they would have liked.

Did Honda really "upsized" the front seats to fit a global market?
Sponsored