mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I have to say, now that I’ve been driving my car with the tune from ktuner, I think this car should’ve came from the factory like this. I got the 2.0 because I’ve always liked the vtec motors. Now after being tuned The power is much more linear all the way to redline. Combined with the six speed, it is so much fun to drive! Ktuner is a must for this engine
Sponsored

Slyster9

First Name
Cesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 civic cvt lx
Country flag
I have to say, now that I’ve been driving my car with the tune from ktuner, I think this car should’ve came from the factory like this. I got the 2.0 because I’ve always liked the vtec motors. Now after being tuned The power is much more linear all the way to redline. Combined with the six speed, it is so much fun to drive! Ktuner is a must for this engine
I agree! My cvt has a CAI, downpipe, and ktuner and I haven’t pushed it too much but I don’t have trouble merging onto the freeway anymore. I’m curious to see how it performs on a dyno. Definitely made the car more enjoyable, only need a little drop and a nice wheel setup :dunno:

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I agree! My cvt has a CAI, downpipe, and ktuner and I haven’t pushed it too much but I don’t have trouble merging onto the freeway anymore. I’m curious to see how it performs on a dyno. Definitely made the car more enjoyable, only need a little drop and a nice wheel setup :dunno:
Sometimes I wonder if the 2.0 was purposely toned down a bit to push people into buying the 1.5t. I stuck to my guns when I bought my 2.0 and I’m glad I did. With the tune it is exactly what I wanted. And everything else on the motor is stock. And the sound is great. Don’t get me wrong the 1.5t is a good little motor to. But the 2.0 is no chump neither

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Sometimes I wonder if the 2.0 was purposely toned down a bit to push people into buying the 1.5t. I stuck to my guns when I bought my 2.0 and I’m glad I did. With the tune it is exactly what I wanted. And everything else on the motor is stock. And the sound is great. Don’t get me wrong the 1.5t is a good little motor to. But the 2.0 is no chump neither
Honda almost certainly toned down the 2.0 to justify selling the 1.5 motor to people. It easily could have revved higher and pushed 175-180 HP with no problem but Honda decided against it, most likely for fuel economy reasons. And yeah, a tuned 2.0 is all I could ever need from a Civic and what I use it for. If I were buying a car with performance in mind, no hate on the Si or Type R but it wouldn't be a Civic, just my preference.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No need to wonder anymore, It is clear Honda under tuned the 2.0 from the factory, Why would people purchase a 1.5t when they could have a 175hp 2.0 N/A? Thats why they under tuned it.
Honda almost certainly toned down the 2.0 to justify selling the 1.5 motor to people. It easily could have revved higher and pushed 175-180 HP with no problem but Honda decided against it, most likely for fuel economy reasons. And yeah, a tuned 2.0 is all I could ever need from a Civic and what I use it for. If I were buying a car with performance in mind, no hate on the Si or Type R but it wouldn't be a Civic, just my preference.
Yall are joking right? or justifying your 2.0 purchase? The 1.5t is an awesome technological motor with tons of power hidden with only a tuner. And they dyno to wheels basically what honda advertised the power. The proof is in the tuning. Sure Ktuner basemap for the 2.0 is great but the gains seen from the turbo show Honda severely under tuned the the turbo

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Yall are joking right? or justifying your 2.0 purchase? The 1.5t is an awesome technological motor with tons of power hidden with only a tuner. And they dyno to wheels basically what honda advertised the power. The proof is in the tuning. Sure Ktuner basemap for the 2.0 is great but the gains seen from the turbo show Honda severely under tuned the the turbo
Troll much?

There’s no comparison between the two in terms of tuning gains stock vs stock. That goes for any NA vs turbo motor. Only so many parameters can be changed on an NA to extract power.

Most car manufacturers overbuild their turbocharged engines to ensure reliability, so it being able to handle some extra boost is nothing special.

The fact that 1.5T stock clutches also have to be changed out when running little more than a tune is actually pretty pitiful IMO. I had a APR tuned 1.8T beetle that pushed 100 hp over stock and even on that junk car I had the original clutch last over 60k miles after tuning.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What we are saying is with the tune it corrects a big power droop in the top end, the 2.0 is putting out about 175 hp at the crank at its peak after corrected. The 1.5t is the same roughly. So Honda would’ve had to advertise it as such. They wouldn’t want to advertise the 2.0 and 1.5t at the same hp because people who didn’t know any better would think they were the same and couldn’t justify going for the more expensive turbo. We all know the 1.5t is a great little motor. But Honda had to knock the power down just a bit so the 2.0 didn’t look so good on paper. I myself prefer the 2.0 NA Vtec

Last edited:

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Any 0-60 times?
I plan on recording a launch with mine soon. I have no way of timing it accurately so I’m just going to record it and post it to just give an idea of what it can do

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
What a troll. Dude...congrats, you're turbocharged motor can make more power when you add boost, who would have thought :eek:, thats not really a technological marvel. Get off your 1.5 high horse bro and stop using it as yet another opportunity to bring down 2.0 guys and try to flex your turbocharged choice. Literally NO ONE said anything bad about the 1.5 in our post, it literally just said that Honda de-tuned the 2.0 motor so that it didn't eat into 1.5 sales which is completely true. Also, this is a 2.0 thread and not a 1.5, hence all of my points where about the 2.0 motor, anyone with an IQ over 50 understands that when you turn up the boost on a motor that is already making more power than the 2.0 stock, it would beat it no need to try to derail this thread and mention that.

I believe you have personally seen me say multiple times on this forum that I think the 1.5 is a great motor...repeatedly. You seem to like saying that people are "justifying" their 2.0 purchase when in reality all they're doing is making comments and saying why they like it, I've personally seen 1.5 guys do that all the time so according to your logic they must be "justifying" their purchase too. Lol you're a joke bro.

Also, this is a thread about 2.0 tuning, not 1.5. If you hate the 2.0 motor so much why do you even come onto this thread?

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Troll much?

There’s no comparison between the two in terms of tuning gains stock vs stock. That goes for any NA vs turbo motor. Only so many parameters can be changed on an NA to extract power.

Most car manufacturers overbuild their turbocharged engines to ensure reliability, so it being able to handle some extra boost is nothing special.

The fact that 1.5T stock clutches also have to be changed out when running little more than a tune is actually pretty pitiful IMO. I had a APR tuned 1.8T beetle that pushed 100 hp over stock and even on that junk car I had the original clutch last over 60k miles after tuning.
Stock clutches are being changed out when they add 100 lb ft of tq with ethanol, not just a little base map. HP wont kill the clutch the torque will just like it does rods.

What a troll. Dude...congrats, you're turbocharged motor can make more power when you add boost, who would have thought :eek:, thats not really a technological marvel. Get off your 1.5 high horse bro and stop using it as yet another opportunity to bring down 2.0 guys and try to flex your turbocharged choice. Literally NO ONE said anything bad about the 1.5 in our post, it literally just said that Honda de-tuned the 2.0 motor so that it didn't eat into 1.5 sales which is completely true. Also, this is a 2.0 thread and not a 1.5, hence all of my points where about the 2.0 motor, anyone with an IQ over 50 understands that when you turn up the boost on a motor that is already making more power than the 2.0 stock, it would beat it no need to try to derail this thread and mention that.

I believe you have personally seen me say multiple times on this forum that I think the 1.5 is a great motor...repeatedly. You seem to like saying that people are "justifying" their 2.0 purchase when in reality all they're doing is making comments and saying why they like it, I've personally seen 1.5 guys do that all the time so according to your logic they must be "justifying" their purchase too. Lol you're a joke bro.

Also, this is a thread about 2.0 tuning, not 1.5. If you hate the 2.0 motor so much why do you even come onto this thread?
Trolling is against the forum rules. Not a troll when you have the amount of posts and thanks I do, and also not trolling when its the truth. and the 1.5t is actually rated for 205hp, the detuned it for the ext :) So see the detuned both. They kept a 2.0 Na to appease the people scared of turbos. I suspect in the future the base lx will have something like a 1.0t like in Europe. NA will be going away as they transition to hybrid then electric.

Sorry I upset you boys so much, I forgot I was in a 2.0 thread. :beer::rofl::catfight::thumbsup:

Last edited:

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Stock clutches are being changed out when they add 100 lb ft of tq with ethanol, not just a little base map. HP wont kill the clutch the torque will just like it does rods.

Not a troll when you have the amount of posts and thanks I do, and also not trolling when its the truth. and the 1.5t is actually rated for 205hp, the detuned it for the ext :) So see the detuned both. They kept a 2.0 Na to appease the people scared of turbos. I suspect in the future the base lx will have something like a 1.0t like in Europe. NA will be going away as they transition to hybrid then electric.

Sorry I upset you boys so much, I forgot I was in a 2.0 thread. :beer::rofl::catfight::thumbsup:
What else did you expect when you come into a thread about 2.0 tuning trying to defend the honor of your beloved 1.5 when no one was bashing on it in the first place??
Also, if you weren't trolling then what you said is even sadder. You hate the 2.0plain and simple and you choose to repeatedly make irrelevant comments about the 1.5 its not the subject at hand. They kept the 2.0 because it was cheaper engine to manufacture and was good for base level civics, honda did detune the engine so that it wouldn't eat into 1.5 sales, thats a fact. No one cares about your nut fest with the 1.5, be happy with your choice but dont bring other people down. Notice how other 2.0 threads also get derailed by 1.5 guys trying to assert their dominance over 2.0 guys.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You upset everyone because you completely missed the point of what is being said and are trying to convince us like 1.5T motor is god himself. Well im gonna give it to you how you deserve it.

FIRST OF ALL the 2.0 is MUCH more reliable than the 1.5T from what ive heard from Honda technicians themselves the 1.5s are coming in for repair already.

SECOND OF ALL The 2.0 motor has the potential to make alot more power than advertised, This was done to not cut into the sales of the 1.5T because now adays its all about the horsepower number for car buyers.

THIRD OF ALL Get out of this forum if you cant listen to facts.
You're not the boss, I'll stay here if I want to and continue to post if I want to until CivicX tells me I can't. As for techs telling you the 2.0 is more reliable, Did you forget the 2.0 got recalled and a stop sale put on them the month they launched because of an engine issue. And techs also tell you that you need a transmission flush, radiator flush and a new air filter when you really dont so Ill just take that statement with a grain of salt. The K has been a great motor yes, but the real fact is this isnt the K from previous gen Civic Si's, they have completely different internals to make them less expensive to mass produce for Non Si's. And what is your definition of a lot more power? We've seen the gains from the Ktuner tune. Its nice, but where else are you coming up with the "potential to make make a lot more?" If you think the mass markets are buying civics because of advertised hp, you are insane. The average civic buyer doesnt care, they worry about price point and options/trim levels. Its different here because the majority that take the time to join here are car enthusiast in general.

What else did you expect when you come into a thread about 2.0 tuning trying to defend the honor of your beloved 1.5 when no one was bashing on it in the first place??
Also, if you weren't trolling then what you said is even sadder. You hate the 2.0plain and simple and you choose to repeatedly make irrelevant comments about the 1.5 its not the subject at hand. They kept the 2.0 because it was cheaper engine to manufacture and was good for base level civics, honda did detune the engine so that it wouldn't eat into 1.5 sales, thats a fact. No one cares about your nut fest with the 1.5, be happy with your choice but dont bring other people down. Notice how other 2.0 threads also get derailed by 1.5 guys trying to assert their dominance over 2.0 guys.
I already said my bad for not realizing I was in the 2.0 thread. I don't hate the 2.0, its just not for me, I drove one as a loaner and it was not a fun car to drive at all. Vtec kicked in 300 rpms from when the transmission shifted and it lacked life. Im sure a Ktuner and a 6MT would help it out a lot but its a commuter a-b car. nothing wrong with that. Again, I now realize what thread im in and I treat you all accordingly going forward :)

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Alot more power meaning people are pushing 180 WHEEL out of these motors which is fantastic! Thats exactly what I want out of this car possibly 200 wheel if the aftermarket ever picks up
I will absolutely agree here, Yes, 200 to the wheel would feel great especially in 6mt with Ktuner. Just not sure what mods are going to come to even get close. I know what 200 does in my cvt ext and its a fantastic commuter civic that can actually get out of its own way, overtake and the drop of the hat and be blast. Its even more fun in the 230/230 range that I should be around with my current tune.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The aftermarket support may grow if Honda continues to make the K20C2, Im praying that 200 whp will be possible eventually. For now I am going to focus on weight reduction in an attempt to make the car faster. Also I need to buy the Ktuner asap lol
It has been lacking, pretty much the AEM intake, the RV6 downpipe and ktuner. I wonder what they can do on a custom tune instead of a base tune.
Sponsored