2.0L CivicX 2.0L Tuning - BIG Gains Confirmed For The Second Time

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
I've been getting 23-24mpg since properly tuning my car with intake and catless downpipe. Downpipe is likely the reason for loss in fuel economy, as I was getting 28mpg before that. Likely need a proper etune as it runs amazingly at WOT (with not much loss in mpg over average use) while it seems to chug excess gas just running half throttle from 0-60 from light to light. Feels like a V6 or V8 in fuel consumption without the power in the midrange. Still leaps and bounds better than my wife's identical vehicle without the tune, but a loss of more than 10mpg with gas that's $0.50-0.60+/ga... Been tempted to load up the stock tune again, but it's just so much damn fun. Honestly if I could just get the throttle response, I'd run that 90% of the time. I like having instant response vs the spongy delayed response on stock. Also, I'm not hitting vtec even with tune save for very isolated moments where I'm heading to work on an 80mph toll.

socal818

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 civic sport
Country flag
I've been getting 23-24mpg since properly tuning my car with intake and catless downpipe. Downpipe is likely the reason for loss in fuel economy, as I was getting 28mpg before that. Likely need a proper etune as it runs amazingly at WOT (with not much loss in mpg over average use) while it seems to chug excess gas just running half throttle from 0-60 from light to light. Feels like a V6 or V8 in fuel consumption without the power in the midrange. Still leaps and bounds better than my wife's identical vehicle without the tune, but a loss of more than 10mpg with gas that's $0.50-0.60+/ga... Been tempted to load up the stock tune again, but it's just so much damn fun. Honestly if I could just get the throttle response, I'd run that 90% of the time. I like having instant response vs the spongy delayed response on stock. Also, I'm not hitting vtec even with tune save for very isolated moments where I'm heading to work on an 80mph toll.
Hit up Steve at e-Tunez, he did an amazing job with my car with the same mods you have.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Well KTuner, looks like a pile of 2 liter engines are on the way because of the stupid choices of Honda in Canada. They have dropped the 1.5t from all but the touring and Si on the sedans/coupes up here in Canuckistan. Haven't picked up a tuner yet but now that I know I am sticking with what I have now as I don't want the touring or the Si, getting tuner is now fully on the list.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Well KTuner, looks like a pile of 2 liter engines are on the way because of the stupid choices of Honda in Canada. They have dropped the 1.5t from all but the touring and Si on the sedans/coupes up here in Canuckistan.
Why would they be doing that? That's totally ridiculous.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Sounds like your fueling might be off due to the intake. I have similar mods, and I easily get 40+ mpg’s when I care to, and I average about 35, even with very spirited driving. I never use econ mode either.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Why would they be doing that? That's totally ridiculous.
Who even knows. We never even had the EX Turbo Leather as an option. If we wanted leather, we had to get the Touring.

I know that there are differences between the US and Canada but come on. There is not two other countries on earth that are more similar even while being different. And being so close to each other (Closest US Honda dealer to me is only 3 hours away in Bangor), it is strange that they don't think that people won't look at the differences in the lineups in both countries on the web.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Well KTuner, looks like a pile of 2 liter engines are on the way because of the stupid choices of Honda in Canada. They have dropped the 1.5t from all but the touring and Si on the sedans/coupes up here in Canuckistan. Haven't picked up a tuner yet but now that I know I am sticking with what I have now as I don't want the touring or the Si, getting tuner is now fully on the list.
Damn, never knew that there is so much difference between the Canadian market and U.S Market. Especially with the introduction of the "sport" model and Canada selling majority 2.0 cars now, the 2.0 is going to get more attention now.

Aurelleah

First Name
Aurelleah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX in Modern Steel
Country flag
really? Do they have it listed on the honda site now finally in canada? Just bought my EX like a couple months ago and loving it but been curious what the canadian versions will have next

Edit: Wow, you werent joking. When I asked my honda rep at the dealer he said they outsell 2.0L engines 10 to 1 over the turbocharged ones in northern ontario here

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
really? Do they have it listed on the honda site now finally in canada? Just bought my EX like a couple months ago and loving it but been curious what the canadian versions will have next

Edit: Wow, you werent joking. When I asked my honda rep at the dealer he said they outsell 2.0L engines 10 to 1 over the turbocharged ones in northern ontario here
Yup. And worse than that, they deleted all kinds of features from the Canadian models that will be on the US models too. Such as the full auto high beams feature isn't even on the Canadian Touring model.

Honestly, I would have had a turbo last year had I any clue that there wasn't going to be one in Canada after the refresh. Honestly, this Civic of mine is the last Civic I buy. Next vehicle will either be an Accord or a Ridgeline. I love my car but this feels like a giant FU to Canadians. They only sell more 2.0 because of how messed up the lineup was even before this refresh. It's their own damned fault.

Aurelleah

First Name
Aurelleah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yup. And worse than that, they deleted all kinds of features from the Canadian models that will be on the US models too. Such as the full auto high beams feature isn't even on the Canadian Touring model.

Honestly, I would have had a turbo last year had I any clue that there wasn't going to be one in Canada after the refresh. Honestly, this Civic of mine is the last Civic I buy. Next vehicle will either be an Accord or a Ridgeline. I love my car but this feels like a giant FU to Canadians. They only sell more 2.0 because of how messed up the lineup was even before this refresh. It's their own damned fault.
Im not sure many consumers are that informed when buying vehicles, I just think a lot of the younger crowd who liked the newer, edgier sporty look but who didn't have the extra funds to shell out for the EXT saw the value in the well-equipped LX trim. That's my guess anyways. Combine that with salespeople who tend to not push the turbocharged option (they didn't push it with me when helping me choose a trim level) and it's no surprise. For someone reading the sheet, an extra 2 grand for 20 more horsepower doesnt sound that appealing

That being said, you can always trade in for a 2018 EX-T or something that'll be inevitably leftover if they don't sell well in canada when it's time for you to upgrade if you feel that itch. With my tune and AEM CAI, I have similar sounds to the turbo, with good pep but linear throttle, so I'm not in a huge rush to change over, myself

63blackseries

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Sensing
Country flag
It was my first time purchasing a honda brand, i went to the dealer without any research in their product, my mind was set to have a reliable commuter car that can save me on gas money, cause daily driving my v8 truck and gassing up every 4 days was getting annoying, at the dealer in canada they seemed to push more of the civic 2.0 EX with sensing they gave me a good deal so i took it without knowing a 1.5t was available on other trims.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just think a lot of the younger crowd who liked the newer, edgier sporty look but who didn't have the extra funds to shell out for the EXT saw the value in the well-equipped LX trim. That's my guess anyways.
I think your guess is more right than wrong. I would say that there are more LX trims in Fredericton than EX, EX-T and Touring combined. As to the 20 horses, the EX-T did come with a few more things such as the fog lights and the deck lid spoiler so the extra 2k wasn't all on the turbo. If I had to guess, there is more margin on the EX and the LX and that is why they pushed them harder.

at the dealer in canada they seemed to push more of the civic 2.0 EX with sensing they gave me a good deal so i took it without knowing a 1.5t was available on other trims.
I would have had the Turbo but I was in need of a replacement car rather quickly and I didn't want to get stuck waiting weeks to hunt down a black EX-T. But on retrospect, my salesman didn't even mention them. Where he generally knew what I was after (Daily driver for just me), he suggested the HR-V, the Civic EX Sedan and the Civic Sport Hatch.

Aurelleah

First Name
Aurelleah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It was my first time purchasing a honda brand, i went to the dealer without any research in their product, my mind was set to have a reliable commuter car that can save me on gas money, cause daily driving my v8 truck and gassing up every 4 days was getting annoying, at the dealer in canada they seemed to push more of the civic 2.0 EX with sensing they gave me a good deal so i took it without knowing a 1.5t was available on other trims.
Yeah I didn't do any research either lol, first car. Test drove a focus prior, then the EX sedan, and decided the ex sedan was good enough for me and had a great value proposition. I knew the turbocharged version was available cause the dealer asked "well, do you need a turbo?" and i was like "eh, probably not"
Sponsored