05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
Any chance we'll see a dual clutch option for the new Civic Type R?
Sponsored

s2ker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000
Hope not. Stick to what Honda does best and keep it a 6-spd manual.
Yes please keep it manual only. Type R should be be kept as pure as possible. That's one of the reasons that attracted me to the S2000 - manual only!

YoungTMarley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura Integra, Chevrolet Cruze
This car is all about feel and performance. Performance cars are always more engauging with the conventional 6-Speed !

Golf6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK6 Golf
Agreed with the others keep it manual. Does Honda even have a DCT to use even if it wanted to?

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
Agreed with the others keep it manual. Does Honda even have a DCT to use even if it wanted to?
It has the 8-spd DCT in the new ILX and (I believe) TLX mated to the 2.4L 4-cyl. It's a little different though in that it has a torque converter for better operation at low speeds. I don't think it has the performance chops to go into the Type-R, but that's just me speculating.

CaptK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru XV Crosstek
This car is all about feel and performance. Performance cars are always more engauging with the conventional 6-Speed !
It's cheaper and less complicated in terms of repairs too. I see this debate with every performance car that isn't offered in an auto or DCT. People claim they will sell more (which is always true if they offer more options) but is it worth the added costs and will it take away from the spirit of the car.

RSXer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 RSX
It has the 8-spd DCT in the new ILX and (I believe) TLX mated to the 2.4L 4-cyl. It's a little different though in that it has a torque converter for better operation at low speeds. I don't think it has the performance chops to go into the Type-R, but that's just me speculating.
Yea doubt that would hold up in a high performance application like the Type R. Manual for me anyway if I were to get a car like that. I wanna feel as connected as possible!

Fresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Ridgeline
Although DCT Is pretty sick awesome, keeping it manual keeps my wife from laying a foot on it.

Tegster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Integra (Tafetta White)
Yea doubt that would hold up in a high performance application like the Type R. Manual for me anyway if I were to get a car like that. I wanna feel as connected as possible!
DCT transmissions are fun and feel novel when you first drive them but they get boring over time. It removes two of the connection (literally) points you have with the car - the shifter and clutch pedal. With those two removed you just feel less of what the car's doing and how it's behaving.

Guzmannn

Threads
Reaction score
DCT transmissions are fun and feel novel when you first drive them but they get boring over time. It removes two of the connection (literally) points you have with the car - the shifter and clutch pedal. With those two removed you just feel less of what the car's doing and how it's behaving.
Also more complex and more prone to issues compared to manual. Nothing beats manual for simplicity and reliability.

martyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boring Accord family hauler
Honestly most Civic owners wouldn't even know the difference between the different 'auto' transmissions (traditional auto, CVT, DCT). It's us enthusiasts who would appreciate the technology and performance benefits behind dual clutch. It's also a bragging point for enthusiasts when talking about their car.

One thing people haven't talked about is that dual clutch transmission would of course also add costs to the car.

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
Forgot about the DCT in the new NSX. It will be a 9-spd unit and would obviously be capable of duty in the Type-R. But as mentioned above, the cost may be prohibitive.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I also hope it is manual only!!
Sponsored