nick_takov

First Name
Nikola
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R R-21190
Country flag
As much as enjoy and how happy I'm with my Type R, I still miss my '05 AP2 . S2k is so much more raw especially 00-05 years. Definitely getting another on in future when I can afford both FK8 and AP1/2 :spaz:
Sponsored

kevv_FK8

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2022 Honda Pilot SE, 2013 Honda Civic
Country flag
I've been toying with the idea of purchasing another project car, it will be an s2k for sure.

Tone Loc

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R #18323
Country flag
Having driven an S2000 and owned a CTR, I personally enjoy the S2000's driving dynamics a little bit more. For me, nothing beats opening up that F22 motor to 8000rpm on a windy stretch of road with the top down on a spring morning. The CTR is very fun for sure in its own way, but the S2000 has an aura about that I haven't felt in any other car.

If I had the space and money (for insurance, maintenance, etc.) for a second car, I would have kept my TSX and bought an S2000 as a summer fun type of car. But with my lifestyle and living in Canada I could not live with an S2000 as my year-round sole mode of transportation.

To me, the CTR is the perfect compromise. Utility and practicality of a 4-door hatchback for day-to-day use but also 95% the fun factor of the S2000.

tdsounds

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP Civic Type R
Country flag
I definitely agree. I had a 06 s2k with bolt ons and a tune. Lovely engine note and it was a blast to just rev it out. RWD and car feels great. I now have a FBO with ktuner stage 1 CTR, got the car to have louder turbo spooling sound and a better engine note than stock, but still don't have to same emotion as the s2k. Shifter on the s2k definitely better to me. The two cars are very different. Nevertheless, I would pick the CTR, it doesn't compromise like the s2k.

Jinba-Ittai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
One has to come into CTR ownership with realistic expectations. CTR is FWD, and offers practical utility and daily drivability that the S2000 cannot match. Its performance is a game changer for the segment. Likewise, one cannot expect the CTR to be a replacement for the driving dynamics of a naturally aspirated RWD car that was designed over 20 years ago. The s2000 was designed from the ground up, including its dedicated engine, as Honda's 50th year anniversary celebration--without any of the compromises made today from a financial and regulatory perspective. The s2000 has a nearly perfect 50/50 weight distribution, has an award winning naturally aspirated engine and is at least 300lbs lighter. So yes, one will absolutely miss the s2000 if one is expect the CTR to take its place without making any compromises. It's absolutely amazing to drive the CTR and AP1 back to back and experience the differences between both cars. The s2000 (especially AP1) is raw and uncompromising--it pushes you to do your part, but will reward you tremendously as you evolve as a driver. The CTR is more forgiving, safer on the limit (since it will understeer first) and showcases what Honda can do. I am glad I got to experience and learn handling dynamics in a RWD first before the CTR. I have been in s2000 ownership for about 10 years and cannot imagine not having one in the stable, no matter what other cars I may have the opportunity to own in the future. The S2000 is the car that taught me how to be a better driver, start track days, the pushed me to learn how to do my own maintenance. It will always have a special place in my heart (tear drop :)

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R  vs S2000 fullsizeoutput_440

Last edited:

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Include me in that club, i enjoy having both cars. The ctr is my family hauler that is absolutely fun. The s2k is my stress reliever pill. Btw having two 2.0L turbos is fun too!!

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R  vs S2000 C4151230-163E-4621-A522-BB2D48C8BD8F

iqbad

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R 2018, Audi TT-RS 2010 400hp, Audi A6 3.0 TFSI 400hp
Country flag
I had a 2004 facelifted AP1 a few years ago. Right now I have a FK8. The s2000 was fun but I got tired with a few things as time went by and eventually changed it to a m3 e46 instead.

Gearbox feel in the s2k is to me still the best of any car I have tried. 9000 rpm redline was also nice, and throttle response in high revs was also great. I got tired however that engine was quite weak in normal driving, I mean in some situations you would need to shift from 6:th to 2:nd to get good acceleration! I was also annoyed with very loud wind noise when driving fast. I also felt the handling was very twitchy and not at all as stable and predictable as many other cars.

The fk8 is also very fun to drive and has good feel, strong brakes and very good suspension. (As good as öhlins road and track that I had in both my m3 and my Tt-rs).

neveronline

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current '19 CW CTR #23856 & '18 Accord 2.0T Previous - 2015 WRX, 1999 SI, '04 S2000, '08 Evo X, '10 SI sedan, '11 Fit Sport, '11 WRX, '13 ILX
Country flag
I loved my 2004 AP2, it was by far my favorite car I had ever owned up until buying the FK8... I enjoyed driving my S2K more than either of my WRX's (2011 & 2015), more than my 400hp EvoX,, and more than any of my 3 SI's I have owned. I have driven a lot of modified cars and after selling my S2000 which I regret (though it was a necessity at the time) every other car I purchased I was chasing the whole driving experience that the S2000 offered and never found it or got close...

I would never buy another S2K because I would want it set up the way my previous one was and that would be too costly and boring to recreate that car.

Getting the FK8 I was pleasantly surprised though the driving experience is much different it also has a lot of similarities to the overall driving fullment you get from driving the car hard and pushing its limits. This car makes is probably my favorite car even over the S because of all it offers and how it delivers it. The S is a BLAST to drive, if you don't respect it you will probably crash, and if you push it while respecting it you will become a better driver because of owning an S2000, but it really should only be a single guys car or a persons second car. The trunk is small, the car only seats two the seats while comfortable need to be upgraded for tracking the car (in my opinion) and the tech is now 20 years old... not to mention you will always want just a bit more power in its stock form (or a little more TQ from an AP1). Driving my S in heavy traffic in CA was ridiculous and really helped me make the decision to part it out and sell it, the car just didn't like to be driven slow in stop and go traffic and really made me feel like why am I keeping it. Once I got rid of it I realized I kept it because of the feeling it gives you while driving it.

The CTR is easy to deal with in traffic as it almost turns back into a regular Civic (well at least to the driver... LOL) and it can do anything you ask it.... stop and go traffic = no problem, storage space = no problem, stock power being good enough out the box = Yes (and that's a big one because so many fun affordable cars are underpowered) haul the wife and kids around = no problem, have a baby you need to put in the car = no problem (thank god I don't anymore, but it could do it where the S couldn't)... now the CTR wont do donuts or drift when being pushed like the S2000 but when chasing track times, running AutoX events or simply running up to the mountains for some great driving it can do it like the S2000 and you will have the same smile and look on your face during and afterward ;) . I also thing the CTR for me has just the right amount of creature comforts (at least the US version) as it doesn't come with all the Honda Sensing nannies that to me make the driving experience more frustrating than fun and is part of the reason I bought a 19 instead of taking chances that Honda would add that stuff to a facelifted version.

Just my .02cents and in the end they are both awesome cars so you really cant go wrong with either one as long as they fit your needs and wants (and you can afford them).

Pic of my old AP2 for nostalgic purposes :)

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R  vs S2000 OurCars 029-29.JPG

Ouhei

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR
Country flag
The s2000 is the best driving car I've ever owned (so nice I've had 2 of them), I only got rid of mine as I needed to start owning more practical vehicles. I tried out the BRZ (which on paper feels like a slightly more practical s2000) but it didn't have the personality of the s2000 and was still small enough to be annoying. Then I got an STI, but it never felt "right" to me. I was planning on getting a 3-series, but test drove a CTR on the same day. Driving the CTR is the closest feeling I have had in a car since the s2000 and that's what made me buy it.

The CTR, to me is a practical s2000, which makes it the perfect car for my needs.

busta00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ctr, 2009 caravan, 2018 edge, 2018 F-pace
Country flag
I do not own both, just a 17 CTR, but a few months back I was headed to Los Angeles and raced an S2000 across Pacheco Pass in Santa Clara county.
https://www.dangerousroads.org/haunted-roads/4358-pacheco-pass.html
It was awesome. We would pull ahead of each other over certain turns max speeds of 100 until one of us were slowed by Mini vans. I would definitely love to own a S2000 of any year and keep both if possible. Helluva race... i lost by the way.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
Another S2K owner here, I do miss the car. Best car ever. Always looking out for one.

But can’t bite the bullet because while everything was nice, I could always go without the at times wind noise, lack of low end torque in dd duty, rust i see everywhere on the used ones, any dismal trunk.

But believe me, like everyone has said the driving feel of even sitting in the cockpit was special. The CTR is the closest I’ve gotten to that feel as well.

I even put my old custom shift knob from my S2K on the CTR.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
I own a CTR and owned an S2000. I regret selling my S2000 in 2015. Biggest regret ever. If I was you, I would hands down keep the S2000. I have S2000 fever and I own a CTR. You have CTR fever and you own an S2000. I love my CTR but I think the S2000 is the better car.

S2k_Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
After a year and a half it's nice to see this thread is still active. I have an S2000, test drove the Type R, ended up purchasing a 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT as my daily driver. A little more than a year ago I really wanted to have both the CTR and my S2000, I looked at lots of options and did lots of test drives.

My test drive of the CTR was a bit disappointing at the time, it was used but only 1200 miles, it was at CarMax and had not been taken care of at all but it was an opportunity I didn't want to pass up. However, at the end of the day, I couldn't justify the $12k cost over the 2.0T Accord that has many more features which make my daily commute much easier.

However, every time I see a CTR on the road when I'm going to work, I wonder if I made the right choice considering I used to do my 50 mile commute in the S2000, I'm sure the Type R would be fine. I may not keep the Accord more than a few years, particularly if Honda updates the Type R with a few more creature comforts, an updated infotainment system, and the dealers quit trying to add ADM and other mandatory accessories to every purchase.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I owned a S2000 for 8 years and had both the CTR and the S2000 together for about a year.
I ultimately ended up selling the S2000 due to lack of it being driven and no garage space.

i do regret selling it but don't regret it at times.

Pierito

First Name
Piero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type-R (CW), 2007 Honda S2000 (SS)
Country flag
As someone who owns both a CTR and an AP2 SK2...don't you dare sell that S2K lol
Sponsored