Civic Type R vs S2000

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
the S2000 has no turbo. I don't care about high revving cause it's usually breaking the speed limits. I can feel the CTR driving dynamics at slow speeds. well, atleast on the hatch.. lol, see what I did there.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
The way I look at it, if I never sell my S2000, I won't care about resale value.
Good point. Although the S2000 is the most fun car I've owned untill now, I'm not sure I'd keep it forever.. I like to switch often.

I stopped caring for resale value. If you are so worried to put miles on it because of resale value, you'll never be able to enjoy the car fully imo because that will always be on the back of your mind.
Yes but I've already paid a premium for an "old" car to have cleaner example. It just doesn't feel right to make it worth less now.
I'm probably better off getting a cheaper one with higher mileage so that I won't care about that anymore.

I'm pretty set on selling the S2000 for a new Type R. Eventually I'll buy another (cheaper) S2000.
I'll try to hold it off untill next year, maybe I'll change my mind. Don't want to make the wrong decision.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
With modern EPA and CAFE standards, the 9,000 rpm NA motor is going to be dead, like V8's will be. (granted they will be phased out over the next 10-20 years)

Low rev, high torque, turbo motors are the where the industry is going until they kill IC with electric motors and AI systems.

If you have an S, enjoy it, there won't be more like it.

I can't drive them, I'm too short to see out the back 1/2 of the car, so its a CTR for me.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I've had a bit of seat time in both S2000 and CTR. Stock for stock, I think the CTR is faster, better handling, and better in every way. I could be wrong about this, but I think I could drive the CTR faster than the S2000.

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag

I was a big fan of the S2000 but I never got in love with the cabriolet concept. However, I’m having second thoughts to get one in the future, it fits decently in what I want:

-Happy rev NA engine.

-Soft top to let the wifey drive the car.

-Come back to RWD not with 3 pedals.

Note: another contender would be the Miata, that thing drives awesome too.

OP
OP

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
Yesterday I had a test drive with the new CTR. I drove my s2000 to the dealership so I could drive them back to back.

Like the guy in the video above said, the S2000 is indeed more fun to drive, but not by that much. The extra stuff you get in the CTR are worth the trade off in my opinion. The car was also very fresh still, only 50 miles on it, so I didn't really push it hard with salesperson right beside me.

Funny thing was while I was on the test drive we saw an A45 amg that immediately wanted to race us. I politely said no :D

S2k_Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
Yesterday I had a test drive with the new CTR. I drove my s2000 to the dealership so I could drive them back to back.

Like the guy in the video above said, the S2000 is indeed more fun to drive, but not by that much. The extra stuff you get in the CTR are worth the trade off in my opinion. The car was also very fresh still, only 50 miles on it, so I didn't really push it hard with salesperson right beside me.

Funny thing was while I was on the test drive we saw an A45 amg that immediately wanted to race us. I politely said no :D
It would be very difficult to give up my S2000 and trade it for a CTR. If life was such that I couldn't own both, it would be a real shame but the practicality of the CTR is a big plus and the fun of driving the sportiest manual Honda is not a bad consolation prize. I'm looking forward to having both in the garage along with our new CR-V for those long trips out of town.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I agree. The CTR is much more refined and will serve as a better daily if it's going to be your only car, but for pure enjoyment purposes? I'd take the S2K over the CTR any day as long as I have another daily driver.

I wouldn't have bought the CTR if I had to get rid of my S.

eshults5

First Name
Eugene C Shults
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Lol you S2000 owners are making me feel bad. I already have 5k miles on my 3 month old Type R.

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
You guys in this thread going to make me to go out and try to find an AP1 now!
Sponsored