Civic Type R vs S2000

iforyou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R, 2001 Honda S2000, 2007 Acura RDX
Country flag
Haha nice to see you again ;)

Yea, when I first got the CTR, the stability on the highway was really good. I'd be doing 160km/h (100mph) thinking I was doing 110km/h (70mph)...

Scrapdog

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R , 11 Civic Si , 01 S2000 , 99 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@boosted180sx are you the same boosted180sx on S2ki?? lol

I too have an AP1 and the FK8-R. My AP1 is older with more mileage, but I recently put in a recently rebuilt engine (40000km ish) with AP2 components along with Ballade exhaust and Greddy SE Exhaust. The car drives amazingly and sounds really nice especially with the top down. The throttle response is something that the CTR cannot compare with. You just get the instant push right away, albeit not a very strong push. I also got some bilstein PSS9 in pretty much the softest settings so my s2k rides fairly nicely too, though as nice as the CTR in sport or comfort mode.

As I just did the engine swap and added those extra mods early this year, I wouldn't sell my S2k. Another thing that the s2k is better is the shifter. IIRC, the shifter is just directly linked to the tranny in the s2k, so the feel for sure is just more direct and better than the CTR. It also helps that I've after market clutch and tranny mount so the overall feel is just that bit better.

I think if you have a family and you can only have one car, then probably the CTR is definitely better and more suitable. If you are single, but enjoy the latest infotainment technologies, a smooth/quiet ride with quite a bit of performance, the CTR is also better. But from a pure driving point of view, and assuming you don't need to drive your family around, then S2k would be more ideal. To bridge the performance gap, you can always go with boost or a stroker kit. I have driven my friend's AP1 with a TSX K24 stroker kit and ITBs. The throttle response is unreal and the added torque along with his Ap2 tranny and shorter final gear makes it feel very powerful.

With that said, the CTR's chassis is incredibly stiff and I think it's way stiffer than the S2k. This makes the car feels very solid and planted all the time. I guess that's why its performance is that good.

YES! I have the PSS 9's as well, I love them!

OP
OP

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
I sold my first AP1 quite a few years ago thinking that more horsepower toys would = more fun but I found out quickly that wasn't the case and I had made a huge mistake. It took me forever to find my current AP1 with only 40k on the clock and I've told myself no matter what she's not going anywhere, I won't make the same mistake twice.
I currently own a 2006 gpw s2000 along with a 2017 Type R. Something about the s2k with the top down brings an experience the ctr can not deliver. But for daily driving purposes I've decided to sell my s2k. I know I'll regret this decision, but I will buy another one in the future.
This made me think of something.
I could buy the type R now. It might be a totally different experience but it will be fun none the less.
I'm pretty sure I'll miss the s2k but I could always get another one a few years down the line if I really want to.
Probably won't find one as nice or low mileage as the one I currently have (for a reasonable price) but maybe that's a good thing..
Right now I baby my S because I don't want it to lose too much of it's value. I think I've only put about 2500 miles on it this year and I drive it extremely carefully.
Having a less pristine example could actually make me enjoy it more since I'll drive it whenever I want without worrying about mileage. I could even start tracking it and what not.

Hmm food for thought :)

pawnstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
I could buy the type R now. It might be a totally different experience but it will be fun none the less.
I'm pretty sure I'll miss the s2k but I could always get another one a few years down the line if I really want to.
Probably won't find one as nice or low mileage as the one I currently have (for a reasonable price) but maybe that's a good thing..
Right now I baby my S because I don't want it to lose too much of it's value. I think I've only put about 2500 miles on it this year and I drive it extremely carefully.
Having a less pristine example could actually make me enjoy it more since I'll drive it whenever I want without worrying about mileage. I could even start tracking it and what not.

I can totally relate I own a extremely clean 2006 white s2000 with only 20k miles. I treat it like I own a ferrari and barely drive it. I know by selling it I wont find another low mileage ap2 in excellent condition for a reasonable price in the future. But I will say I do not regret buying my CTR at all.

iforyou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R, 2001 Honda S2000, 2007 Acura RDX
Country flag

That's a good point. And since my S2k is much higher mileage, like approaching 300000km, I don't feel as bad daily driving it or parking close to other cars or driving it hard.

Bama Dave

First Name
David H.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #5484 PMM, 2008 S2K NFR
Country flag
I bought my 06 with 21,600 miles in August 2011 it now has 157,000 miles on it. You don't know what you are missing not driving the car. Running on some twisty mountain roads or the track is where that car shines. It might not have the power in a straight lines but in curves it's hard to beat. You each his own I guess. Later BD

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Keep the S2000, buy the house, drive the beater, and get the mid-year refresh R in a few years. I don't own either, but if I could, I would own both. Not sure if I would drive the R daily though.

S2k_Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
I bought my 06 with 21,600 miles in August 2011 it now has 157,000 miles on it. You don't know what you are missing not driving the car. Running on some twisty mountain roads or the track is where that car shines. It might not have the power in a straight lines but in curves it's hard to beat. You each his own I guess. Later BD
Hey Bama Dave! It's been a long time, hope you are doing well.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag

Hmm food for though:)t
I've driven the S2000 a total of 700 miles in the past 2 years... so if I want to get rid of it, I can tbh.
But like you said, finding one with relatively low mileage and excellent condition is too hard to find nowadays unless your willing to shell out the cash. That's probably the main reason why I held onto it even though it's just been sitting most of the time. Oh, and when I do take a seat in it and drive, it's just SO much fun lol.

Either way, they are both really fun cars. Even if you only have the Type R, I'm sure it'll fill the hole left by getting rid of the S2k.
I'm glad however that I have the option to drive whichever one I want to if I feel like going out for a drive.

Bama Dave

First Name
David H.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #5484 PMM, 2008 S2K NFR
Country flag
Hey Bama Dave! It's been a long time, hope you are doing well.
Yes been way too long. I lucked up finding my CTR locally and wasn't in the market. But when I saw it on the floor and asked if it was already sold. When the salesperson said no I was shocked. Take your time man in your hurt for one. What color are you looking for?

OP
OP

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
I know I'm missing out but I just can't bring myself to put that many miles on the car knowing it will hurt the resale value.
The Type R will depreciate anyway, driving it or not. So I won't feel bad for driving it.

That's why, if I buy another s2000, it will be a less "clean" car with higher mileage. That way I can actually enjoy it more and track it for example. I would NEVER do that in my current one.

S2k_Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
The way I look at it, if I never sell my S2000, I won't care about resale value. Mine is a daily driver, purchased new in 2002, with 134,000 miles. After 14 sets of tires, one clutch, a dozen track days, countless trips to the North GA mountains, and 15 trips to the Tail of the Dragon, my S2000 continues to be the best purchase I've ever made.

Last edited:

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I know I'm missing out but I just can't bring myself to put that many miles on the car knowing it will hurt the resale value.
The Type R will depreciate anyway, driving it or not. So I won't feel bad for driving it.

That's why, if I buy another s2000, it will be a less "clean" car with higher mileage. That way I can actually enjoy it more and track it for example. I would NEVER do that in my current one.
I stopped caring for resale value. If you are so worried to put miles on it because of resale value, you'll never be able to enjoy the car fully imo because that will always be on the back of your mind.
Sponsored