Siblue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Civic 18 Type R
Country flag
Good info and thank you for sharing. I bought mine during its slowest month-Jan 2018.
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
It's not smart capitalism tho. Especially when you consider this car is really not a limited production car. Honda is willing to make as many as dealerships can sell. Not to mention, it hurts the brand and really turns people off. You can't expect brand loyalty. I've gone to a different manufacturer for my daily car purchase since I could not get a Type R for MSRP in a 100mile radius here in NorCal. I appreciate car manufacturers who reward dealerships with additional allocations when they sell at MSRP and limit allocations to dealership with $5-15k ADM.
Let's say you have a product that has a suggested retail of 300 dollars. Now, let's add in the fact that this product is quite desirable to a certain audience. Say the product isn't common-place and maybe a little rare/hard to find. Let's say that your competitors in the area don't have one of these on hand and won't for the next month or so. Now, we've created a bit of a mini, temporary monopoly on said product. I could sell it today for 300 dollars and it will sell easily. I could, however, sell it for 350 in the hopes that someone is willing to pay that much for it and wait maybe a week for it to sell. I can hold on to this product and try for 450 and it may sell in say 3 weeks.

If I could hold it for 3 weeks to sell for 450, it would be the better bet assuming I could get rid of it. If someone is willing to pay 450 for a product that is 300 bucks, I'm much better off waiting and selling it for 450 than selling immediately to the first person for 300.

Edit: note I am well against ADMs and markups in general. It goes against the consumer, but with capitalism, the consumer is not important so long as the company turns a profit, the bigger the profit the better. It quickly becomes a game of how much can I screw the customer before they won't give me that money anymore. The closer to that line I walk, the more money I make. In many cases, laws and regulations stop companies from walking that line. In other's, say ISPs in the US, they walk a very fine line.

eshults5

First Name
Eugene C Shults
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Well I know in the dealership I bought from, they said that I was just the 4th this year to pick one up. They usually have one at a time and let it sit in the show room. Alot of lookers but takes 2-3 months on average to find a buyer.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Nath

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Well I know in the dealership I bought from, they said that I was just the 4th this year to pick one up. They usually have one at a time and let it sit in the show room. Alot of lookers but takes 2-3 months on average to find a buyer.
It's not that capitalism is bad, or that one guy's a sucker and a car dealer is gouging. The price that someone is willing to pay is the value of that item. I might love or hate the price, but that has no relevance. For better or worse, it's a pure reflection of nature, and so far no one's come up with a better exchange system. When we artificially manipulate value (corruption), in the long run it turns into something like Obama's discontinued Volt or Sean Penn's economic miracle in Venezuela. Personally I think that, despite the 5 grand extra, the Type R is an excellent value, especially compared to the Tesla Model 3, the Golf R, the Stinger, even the Mustang 5.0...which were all cars I passed at Laguna Seca last month.

destoups

First Name
Des
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Country flag
Yet no one will complain when you can walk in and buy one for $1,000 UNDER sticker.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
manufactured date was dec 2017, what's yours?
Feb 2018, originally it wasn’t projected to arrive at the dealer until April but they ended up getting it in the middle of March.

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
Country flag
Here is CA they tend to sit on the lot much longer because of the huge dealer markup. All three dealerships in my immediate area have TypeR's collecting dust. Some have been there over a year and even one since the 2017 launch. I know because I tried to get one for MSRP cash in hand about 2 months ago and was laughed of the lot.
Yup. That's why I didn't buy one in Washington. Plenty were around for sale, no one wanting to sell for MSRP. In Washington, I couldn't find any without an additional $5,000 to $20,000 markup. And most didn't have dealer installed crap....they're just greedy because we have Boeing, Microsoft, Amazon, etc. I also called around Oregon too. I wasn't about to pay that BS, so I bought an Si, which, is for me a better choice since I already own a very fast, boosted B16a CRX. Of course, now I have a PRL Cobra CAI with race MAF, invidia r400 exhaust and Ktuner all waiting to be installed on the Si, so that will fix the hp of my Si up nicely...to heck with the clutch...next upgrade....but that is off topic haha.

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
Can you do one for the Si? :D

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
I saw a photo of the CTR online and knew I that was my next car,..but I had to wait 2 months. In the last year in Las Vegas I have only seen ONE other CTR besides mine. It's a rare car and so gets tons of attention in parking lots by car fans.
Come join the Nevada Civic Type R Owners on facebook. We try to have meets regularly.

mPlasticDesign

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BRZ, 2011bmwM3, 2011 1M Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's not smart capitalism tho. Especially when you consider this car is really not a limited production car. Honda is willing to make as many as dealerships can sell. Not to mention, it hurts the brand and really turns people off. You can't expect brand loyalty. I've gone to a different manufacturer for my daily car purchase since I could not get a Type R for MSRP in a 100mile radius here in NorCal. I appreciate car manufacturers who reward dealerships with additional allocations when they sell at MSRP and limit allocations to dealership with $5-15k ADM.
Let's say you have a product that has a suggested retail of 300 dollars. Now, let's add in the fact that this product is quite desirable to a certain audience. Say the product isn't common-place and maybe a little rare/hard to find. Let's say that your competitors in the area don't have one of these on hand and won't for the next month or so. Now, we've created a bit of a mini, temporary monopoly on said product. I could sell it today for 300 dollars and it will sell easily. I could, however, sell it for 350 in the hopes that someone is willing to pay that much for it and wait maybe a week for it to sell. I can hold on to this product and try for 450 and it may sell in say 3 weeks.

If I could hold it for 3 weeks to sell for 450, it would be the better bet assuming I could get rid of it. If someone is willing to pay 450 for a product that is 300 bucks, I'm much better off waiting and selling it for 450 than selling immediately to the first person for 300.

Edit: note I am well against ADMs and markups in general. It goes against the consumer, but with capitalism, the consumer is not important so long as the company turns a profit, the bigger the profit the better. It quickly becomes a game of how much can I screw the customer before they won't give me that money anymore. The closer to that line I walk, the more money I make. In many cases, laws and regulations stop companies from walking that line. In other's, say ISPs in the US, they walk a very fine line.
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make? I understand how capitalism and free market works and should work, seems better than you do. Like I said, the ADM hurts Honda Motor Co. and they get ZERO additional benefit from what the dealerships are doing. Honda has given up too much control to the dealerships over THEIR product and how it is represented. It all comes down to the dealership being a totally unnecessary middle man. If I could order the car and have it delivered to my house I would. The problem is there is enough people that are not paying cash for the vehicle, so an additional $75 a month in payments or even less with a lease, those individuals gladly pay the ADM to be the kid on the block with the shiny new toy. But when I'm writing a check, $5-10k extra is going to be much harder pill to swallow. The dealerships make more(per car) but sell less total, Honda builds less and this "FALSE" supply/demand is created. At $35k the TypeR is great value, but at $45k not so much and there is too many other cars to consider. I live in a world where $10k is still a lot of money. That's why you have people who are rich and building wealth and some who will be forever poor.
Sponsored